autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about crack in dashboard of 1994 Camaro

I posted this question last week,...i have a crack in the dashboard (the hard vinyl part that is closest to the windshield, not the entire dashboard) Ok, i know y'all told me not to attempt using Crazy Glue to fix it, but did i listen?? NOOOO!!! I was just trying to see if i could temporarily fix it until i am able to locate the part from either the dealership or an auto salvage) It worked well until i went to pull my hand away and left my left thumbprint on the vinyl (so pretty!! AUGGH!!! I could just shoot myself!!) I tried to remove it with a cotton ball and some acetone nail polish remover, but my thumprint is still there...Any suggestions on how i might be able to remove it and possibly cover up the spot where a bit of the color came off (yes, i am stupid!! I'm SO upset!!) I also tried a bit of isopropyl alcohol and Meguiar's interior cleaner/protector...it still looks awful!! Any suggestions how i might be able to cover the spot, or am i just going to have to locate the part and get it replaced?

I also asked about the name of an insert that goes inside of the scoop on the hood of my Camaro...someone suggested the part was called an "air intake screen extractor" but i don't think this is the part i'm looking for. The hood has two scoops (it's a basic Camaro, not a Z28) and it was a solid plastic piece, pointed at both ends...It's not important right now (i'm too upset about the dash at the moment!!) but i'd like to replace these pieces eventually. Any idea what the name of this part is? Haven't had a chance to go to the dealer (they said they wanted to look at the part i am talking about, but it's been a hectic couple of days and haven't been able to get there for them to look at my car.)

Did i mention i want to shoot myself for the stupid attempt to Crazy Glue the crack?? Really, really stupid move on my part!!

Thanks for any help you can give me with these questions...I really appreciate any suggestions....

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Question about crack in dashboard of 1994 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by DarleenW View Post
    I posted this question last week,...i have a crack in the dashboard (the hard vinyl part that is closest to the windshield, not the entire dashboard) Ok, i know y'all told me not to attempt using Crazy Glue to fix it, but did i listen?? NOOOO!!! I was just trying to see if i could temporarily fix it until i am able to locate the part from either the dealership or an auto salvage) It worked well until i went to pull my hand away and left my left thumbprint on the vinyl (so pretty!! AUGGH!!! I could just shoot myself!!) I tried to remove it with a cotton ball and some acetone nail polish remover, but my thumprint is still there...Any suggestions on how i might be able to remove it and possibly cover up the spot where a bit of the color came off (yes, i am stupid!! I'm SO upset!!) I also tried a bit of isopropyl alcohol and Meguiar's interior cleaner/protector...it still looks awful!! Any suggestions how i might be able to cover the spot, or am i just going to have to locate the part and get it replaced?

I also asked about the name of an insert that goes inside of the scoop on the hood of my Camaro...someone suggested the part was called an "air intake screen extractor" but i don't think this is the part i'm looking for. The hood has two scoops (it's a basic Camaro, not a Z28) and it was a solid plastic piece, pointed at both ends...It's not important right now (i'm too upset about the dash at the moment!!) but i'd like to replace these pieces eventually. Any idea what the name of this part is? Haven't had a chance to go to the dealer (they said they wanted to look at the part i am talking about, but it's been a hectic couple of days and haven't been able to get there for them to look at my car.)

Did i mention i want to shoot myself for the stupid attempt to Crazy Glue the crack?? Really, really stupid move on my part!!

Thanks for any help you can give me with these questions...I really appreciate any suggestions....
    Next time you can go to you're local auto part store and buy a repair kit. It costs maybe $15 or less and you can match the color of your dash. You might still be able to fix it, just go get the vil and rubber kit and that should also cover your finger print. I repaired my dash a while ago with the kit and unless you look close you wont be able to tell. The kit comes with everything you need and should do the trick.