autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Product to Remove Tar & Process

Im not sure if Im posting in the correct area but I have done some research and found that some people are using kerosene or deisel gas to remove tar. I have used deisel gas to remove tar from the inside of my fender by the wheel wheel but it doesnt seem to work well. Maybe I'm not doing it right but I put a little gas on a rag and rub it. I'm not a big fan of the smell of raw gas for over 5 minutes and it takes me over 5 minutes lol So what do you use and what is the process you use to remove stuborn tar. Same goes for rubber that comes off your rear wheels if anyone has ever had that problem

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Product to Remove Tar & Process

Any type of petroleum distillate will work in dissolving tar so you can use kerosene, diesel, mineral spirits, turps, xylene, paint thinner...etc. What I do is I have a mix of Xylene and Turpentine at 1:1, which is a crude version of AutoSmart's Tardis, in a spray bottle. I spray on to affected area wait a few minutes and remove. Stubburn tar requires a second application and or longer dwell time. Make sure to keep it wet because once the solvents dry they dont work anymore.
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone got the new DJ Tarmilade and tried it? That kind of a paste idea seems perfect to me to not have it run and dry off.

Post Thanks / Like

Try Meguair's Body Solvent. I have a gallon of it but never tried it lol. From what I read it works good against tar. Spray and let it sit for a little bit then wipe off.

Post Thanks / Like

Du Pont Prep-sol
    Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

Stoners Tarminator or 3M Wax and Adhesive Remover .

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

All of those product will get the job done. it's just a matter of keeping it in contact with the tar long enough to affect it.

I soak a rag with enough to not evaporate in about half an hour and I jam it between the tire and the cruddy fender well. That keeps it in contact with the tag long enough to liquify it.

I use clear mineral spirits, about eight bucks a gallon at Home Depot.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone told me Everclear works well.

Next time I have some left over... wait, I won't have any.

Haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    All of those product will get the job done. it's just a matter of keeping it in contact with the tar long enough to affect it.

I soak a rag with enough to not evaporate in about half an hour and I jam it between the tire and the cruddy fender well. That keeps it in contact with the tag long enough to liquify it.

I use clear mineral spirits, about eight bucks a gallon at Home Depot.

Post Thanks / Like

Several months ago I received a can of MAX bug and tar remover from Meghan. I normally pick up tar on the lower quarter panels during the rainy season which has finally started in SoCal.

I've been waiting to write up a review once I actually have something to write about. The one time that I used it, it removed a small amount of tar immediately and left a surprisingly clean and smooth surface. It actually felt like I just clayed the paint in that section, but I haven't used it enough to really know if that is typical. I also used it to remove grease/tar from my plastic tile garage floor which also was very slick afterward.

It is something to consider if you don't mind spending money. I'm not a fan of using gasoline as a cleaning agent, mainly because of disposal and as a health hazard. I don't have a diesel engine in any vehicle so diesel fuel is not available to me. You can pick up denatured alcohol (EtOH) and mineral spirits (MS) at home depot, which should dissolve the tar (and the wax or sealant on the paint too).

From my very little experience, Max Bug and Tar Remover seems to work as well or better than Megs Bug and Tar remover. If you want cheap, a petroleum distallant like MS (get the high VOC type not the ecologically friendly) should work pretty well in most cases. I bought a gallon of MS for $12 last night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast