autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Senior Member superd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    104

    Best way to remove Ice from windows

    What is a safe way to remove ice from a windshield without scratching the glass? Winter is almost here and I need to get prepared, my SUV just turned into a daily driver.

    Which will come first.........BOBO's or time to leave work?

  2. #2
    Senior Member SeaJay's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Billerica, MA
    Posts
    3,070

    Re: Best way to remove Ice from windows

    I would say a good ice scrapper and you should be fine. I've never had a problem scratching my glass using an ice scrapper. I'm sure someone will comment with their solution without using an ice scrapper, but by far I would think that this is the easiest method, unless you put de-icer in a spray bottle and use that.

    Also...I think it's going to be time to leave work that wins this one! At least for me...I have an hour left unless I decide to leave early...which I may just do.

  3. #3

    Re: Best way to remove Ice from windows

    A good plastic ice scraper with a smooth edge. Do not use anything that has a metal edge.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Dubbin1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,845

    Re: Best way to remove Ice from windows

    What works for me is leaving the car in the garage

    I don't scrape ice, I have a remote car starter and leave the defroster and fan set to high when I get out.

  5. #5
    Administrator Meghan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    14,365

    Re: Best way to remove Ice from windows

    Quote Originally Posted by superd View Post
    What is a safe way to remove ice from a windshield without scratching the glass? Winter is almost here and I need to get prepared, my SUV just turned into a daily driver.

    Which will come first.........BOBO's or time to leave work?

    I have two good answers for your two questions, one, move to Florida, no ice allowed.... two depends if you leave before 5pm? I see BOGOs arriving around 430pm'ish

  6. #6
    Senior Member SeaJay's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Billerica, MA
    Posts
    3,070

    Re: Best way to remove Ice from windows

    I forgot about the automatic starter. That saves me a ton in the winter. Also is nice to jump into a toasty car/truck when it's 10 degrees outside.

    Meghan - Not all of us have the option to move some where warm! Trust me if it was that easy I would have done it a long time ago! I hate the winter!

  7. #7
    Senior Member superd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    104

    Re: Best way to remove Ice from windows

    Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    I have two good answers for your two questions, one, move to Florida, no ice allowed.... two depends if you leave before 5pm? I see BOGOs arriving around 430pm'ish

    Meghan I'm bored and was hoping to pass the last hour or so at work getting paid to place my orders!! Does autogeek offer a Florida package in the "winterizing" section? My wife has been pressuring me to move to Flordia for the past year, what's the attraction? Perfect weather, the ocean, attractive women, autogeek? The order of importance, and content, are up for debate.


  8. #8
    Senior Member SeaJay's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Billerica, MA
    Posts
    3,070

    Re: Best way to remove Ice from windows

    Quote Originally Posted by superd View Post
    Meghan I'm bored and was hoping to pass the last hour or so at work getting paid to place my orders!! Does autogeek offer a Florida package in the "winterizing" section? My wife has been pressuring me to move to Flordia for the past year, what's the attraction? Perfect weather, the ocean, attractive women, autogeek? The order of importance, and content, are up for debate.

    Yeah you are on the wrong end of a loosing battle there! I've been getting harassed to sell my house and move to Florida or Hawaii....If it happens it's going to be Florida...much cheaper to move to and no 16 hour flights!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member superd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    104

    Re: Best way to remove Ice from windows

    Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    What works for me is leaving the car in the garage

    I don't scrape ice, I have a remote car starter and leave the defroster and fan set to high when I get out.
    Good thinking! I park inside at home, but when I come out from work it would be easy to use.

    Quote Originally Posted by SeaJay's View Post
    Yeah you are on the wrong end of a loosing battle there! I've been getting harassed to sell my house and move to Florida or Hawaii....If it happens it's going to be Florida...much cheaper to move to and no 16 hour flights!!

    I'm still mad at my parents for not raising me in a warm ocean climate! I agree with you, Florida would be the place to go.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Wax Gorilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    448

    Re: Best way to remove Ice from windows

    Water warmed between 12 and 16 degrees hotter than the ambient temperature and poured from the top of the glass down slowly. All Tempered Vehicle Glass will survive this. If you heat the water to 35 degrees hotter than ambient temperature you are playing roulette. Also always warm the glass from the inside by either heating the cars interior or using a defrost cycle. All of the above does not work once the ambient air is at 35 degrees or lower. If below freezing use a mix of warm water 3 parts to 1 part rubbing alcohol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I used opti-seal on my windows, how to remove?
    By MrOneEyedBoh in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2014, 07:38 AM
  2. How do I remove streaks from windows?
    By Wiserphil in forum Ask Mike Phillips your detailing questions!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-19-2013, 09:24 AM
  3. How To Remove Water Spots on Windows - Pinnacle Style
    By Nick@Autogeek in forum How to Articles
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-11-2012, 01:44 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 09:35 AM
  5. Remove swirl marks in windows?
    By WRAPT C5Z06 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-12-2010, 05:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» August 2016

31 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 123