autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question How to clean and polish clear bra?

Hi Guys,

I have clear bra on all my cars, and I would like to know how can I clean it from oxidization and scratches? however I can't use DAs. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to clean and polish clear bra?

I also have one on the BMW. Yes, you can use a DA with a finishing pad.

It gets the same treatment regarding washing & waxing as the paint gets, however when polishing I wouldn't use anything more than a polish such as PO85RD from Menzerna. Nano polish (extremely light or NO abrasives).

Wax, polish, seal, QD as you normally would the paint. The clear bra is one of the very best investments anyone can make in their car ....... congrats.
    Shade Tree Auto Detailing
    Austin, Texas & surrounding areas

Post Thanks / Like

Is it a 3M Clear Protectant? If so, I use Plexus to clean it, and 3M Quick Wax to shine it up. The Quick Wax, P/N 39034, was originally designed for use on 3M films. It was only recently renamed to Quick Wax, but the P/N is the same as the orginal introduction.

I use Plexus on my window tinting (home and car) a well. Specifically designed for films as it contains no alcohol or solvents.

I have 3M clear protection on all my vehicles and do not have an oxidation issue. Oldest application is almost 6 years old.

I doubt you will be successful in removing scratches. And I wouldn't recommend using an abrasive on the clear film. If it bothers you that the film has scratches or nicks you may have to get that section of film replaced. I'm about to do that with my wife's car.

Good luck,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

You can use polish like Menz 85RD, like previously mentioned. I would only use as needed and not every time you polish, and make sure you tape the edges. Did you try claying it? A IPA wipedown will clear up a lot of stuff, but that is not recommended a lot either. The alcohol takes off a small amount of the film(I was told), but it does work.

For maintaining the film. I use DP plex-all almost every time I wash it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    You can use polish like Menz 85RD, like previously mentioned. I would only use as needed and not every time you polish, and make sure you tape the edges. Did you try claying it? A IPA wipedown will clear up a lot of stuff, but that is not recommended a lot either. The alcohol takes off a small amount of the film(I was told), but it does work.

For maintaining the film. I use DP plex-all almost every time I wash it.
    Thanks! I tried claying the scratched one and no luck, the other one it's just a little yellow and feels a little rough

Quote Originally Posted by bobinsofla View Post
    Is it a 3M Clear Protectant? If so, I use Plexus to clean it, and 3M Quick Wax to shine it up. The Quick Wax, P/N 39034, was originally designed for use on 3M films. It was only recently renamed to Quick Wax, but the P/N is the same as the orginal introduction.

I use Plexus on my window tinting (home and car) a well. Specifically designed for films as it contains no alcohol or solvents.

I have 3M clear protection on all my vehicles and do not have an oxidation issue. Oldest application is almost 6 years old.

I doubt you will be successful in removing scratches. And I wouldn't recommend using an abrasive on the clear film. If it bothers you that the film has scratches or nicks you may have to get that section of film replaced. I'm about to do that with my wife's car.

Good luck,
    Bob
    Thank you, scratches are not that bad, they just catch my eye every time I see the car...

Quote Originally Posted by Shade Tree View Post
    I also have one on the BMW. Yes, you can use a DA with a finishing pad.

It gets the same treatment regarding washing & waxing as the paint gets, however when polishing I wouldn't use anything more than a polish such as PO85RD from Menzerna. Nano polish (extremely light or NO abrasives).

Wax, polish, seal, QD as you normally would the paint. The clear bra is one of the very best investments anyone can make in their car ....... congrats.
    I don't have a DA, so no go wiht that, can I still use Klasse AIO as polish and SG as a sealant?

Quote Originally Posted by benzer77 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have clear bra on all my cars, and I would like to know how can I clean it from oxidization and scratches? however I can't use DAs. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Klasse AIO & Glaze Sealant would be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: How to clean and polish clear bra?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade Tree View Post
    Yes, Klasse AIO & Glaze Sealant would be fine.
    I have heard that you can't use Klasse SG on anything else other than the paint, right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benzer77 View Post
    I have heard that you can't use Klasse SG on anything else other than the paint, right?
    It depends on the manufacturer warranty of the clear bra film installed. Some manufacturers will void a warranty if a sealant is used & causes yellowing of the film. In my experience I haven't witnessed this being the case at all & I have used numerous sealants on the clear bra material/film.

The glaze should not come into contact with trim pieces so that may be what you are referring to as "other than paint"?

Remember to apply it rather lightly as a little bit goes a long way. Applying too much product will beat you to death during the removal process.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever you do, avoid waxes and quick detailers with petroleum distilates like kerosene when caring for clearbras. Those products dry out urethane and cause yellowing, degloss, and staining.

Plexus will make the film slick, but it does not provide near as much protection as a true sealant. I guess it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful polishing over the line where the clear bra ends.