autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Decontaminating my white Cobalt...

Hi Mike, first off, you're awesome! Your vids and tips have helped me immensely over the years.

Okay, so, I have a 2009 Summit White Cobalt SS and I have come to realize that I have Iron particles embedded in my paint (Which makes sense, I park about 30 feet from train tracks at work and they are heavily traveled by trains; and there is also a mining facility RIGHT NEXT to where I work )

These iron particles have caused the paint to become like sand paper and rust-spotted. I clayed the car about 3 weeks ago and got rid of all the particles on my trunk and rear plastic bumper and followed up with Meguiar's Cleaner Wax and yesterday I checked and the spots are back.

I need to decontaminate my paint, and per your suggestion Mike, I will be purchasing the Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System from AG. My question is:

What do I need to do to prep the car for this system? (I'm assuming a thorough wash-clay-wash)

How do I follow up the decontamination? (Polish, sealant? I notice that Finish Kare has extra steps besides 1-3, are these any good?)

Will this keep happening if I keep my paint sealed while parking at work? (Will the iron particles go through the sealant or wax and embed into my clear coat again?)

Thanks a lot for all your help!
    Last edited by cobalt9123; 05-09-2010 at 03:11 PM.
    2009 Summit White Cobalt SS/TC SOLD
    2007 Black Cobalt LT - Daily Driver

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Decontaminating my white Cobalt...

Also! Should I wait until I get a Flex polisher so that I can get rid of the swirls I have before applying a sealant such as the one suggested by Finish Kare for step 4? Or should I get rid of the industrial fallout now and worry about swirls later?

Post Thanks / Like

I found the same on my "05" Silverado last summer. I pur many waxes & sealants on it since yet I just noticed more last week. Last year I removed it with 2000 grit wet sandpaper , compound & polish & sealant. The clay did not work for me. Just noticed the FK decontamination system. Was wondering if that would be easier. Can't wait to hear your results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    I found the same on my "05" Silverado last summer. I pur many waxes & sealants on it since yet I just noticed more last week. Last year I removed it with 2000 grit wet sandpaper , compound & polish & sealant. The clay did not work for me. Just noticed the FK decontamination system. Was wondering if that would be easier. Can't wait to hear your results.
    Yes, these contaminants can not be gotten rid of by any sandpaper, wax, polish, or clay. From what I've heard, clay "can" remove some of them but will leave some as well and might not remove the whole particulate. So, in other words, you removed the half top of the iron particles and left the bottom half to do destruction to your paint.

When I go through this process I will take many pictures and documentation so that you will be able to see before and after results as well as how well the product performed and how easy to use

Here's a diagram for you:

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the diagram, makes sense

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    Thanks for the diagram, makes sense
    No problem, lot of great information on Finish Kare's website.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt9123 View Post

Hi Mike, first off, you're awesome! Your vids and tips have helped me immensely over the years.
    Thank you for the kind words. I've been posting how-to information on the topic of detailing since the Internet became public, I started in 1994 that I can document and that makes it 16 years now. Back in 1994 there weren't a lot of websites up yet, and now everything is web-driven. Incredible.

I can't tell you how nice it is to find employment in the industry you love and have a passion for and working for Max at Autogeek has enabled me to do things I've never had a chance to do before and that's basically making TV Commercials and making How To Videos and it's a real blessing.

I'm truly living the dream as I truly have a dream job...

As to your questions,

My question is:

What do I need to do to prep the car for this system? (I'm assuming a thorough wash-clay-wash)
    This first step in the Finish Kare System is a wash process but it couldn't hurt to wash your car with a normal car wash and clay it first before starting the system. Will it help? Well it couldn't hurt. You decide. I probably would so the special alkaline cleaning solution could go right to work on your car's paint do it's magic.

How do I follow up the decontamination? (Polish, sealant? I notice that Finish Kare has extra steps besides 1-3, are these any good?)
    Finish Kare has a stellar reputation for making quality products, check out what they share about themselves here,

Welcome to Finish Kare

Finish Kare was founded in 1964 by Floyd Meguiar, after he left the family business. Preceded by an already-rich history in car care, Meguiar set out to develop car care products that were the best of their kind. Over the last four decades, Finish Kare has been used to protect or restore millions of vehicles by auto professionals & auto enthusiasts alike. Now you can put Finish Kare's surface science to work for you with their consumer line.

After proving his success in automotive products, Floyd started to dabble into Mold Release line around 1980 and that also became best of its kind and has been used by many professionals world wide with outstanding results. Currently over 50% of Mold Release business is overseas and is distributed by prominent distributors such as Ashland, Composites One, NAC, etc...

JJ Jhaveri was a long-time friend of Floyd's since 2000, while competing w/ Finish Kare in automotive market but they did some joint work together. JJ acquired Finish Kare from Floyd's family members in 2006 after Floyd's passing in 2005. JJ has Chemical Engineering degrees from IIT, Powai, Bombay (Now Mumbai) and M.S. in Chemical Engineering from University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT. He has a strong bent in technical formulations and applied science. JJ and his staff are very passionate about the customer service and are very responsive to customer needs. Thank you for your business and we appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

Will this keep happening if I keep my paint sealed while parking at work? (Will the iron particles go through the sealant or wax and embed into my clear coat again?)

Thanks a lot for all your help!

Anything strong enough and/or corrosive enough to etch or eat into a layer of modern clear paint is strong enough and corrosive enough to etch or eat into a layer of wax or paint sealant, so my guess is that if you car's paint is exposed to the same environment where the damage is being caused after you use the system then you're going to see the problem return.

Might be time to invest in a car cover

Covercraft Car Covers

Or buy a beater car to drive to work that you don't care about.

Onto the system, I've never used this system to date, but if anyone within driving distance of Stuart, Florida has metal rail dust particles embedded in there car's paint then contact me and maybe we can do an article on this system using your car.

Here's what Finish Kare recommends for using their system...

Taken from here

Paint Contamination Removal System

1119 / 883 DECONTAMINATION SYSTEM COMPONENTS

The materials in this system are, alkaline, acidic and neutral, THEY MUST BE USED IN THE SPECIFIC ORDER.

Step 1 - 1119 Soil and Coating Remover

Finish Kare Soil & Coating Remover / Wax & Detail Pre-Cleaner is part of a four-step system to rid automotive paint of damaging ferrous metals and airborne contaminants. Using this system, you -the professional detailer - can prevent paint damage and create a truly clean, well-protected finish. It all starts with Finish Kare Soil & Coating Remover / Wax & Detail Pre-Cleaner.

Soil and Coating Remover is a fully biodegradable cleaner which is alkaline based with inhibitors for safe usage. #1119 removes outer surface rust, iron oxides, soil coatings, vehicle wrap adhesives while cleaning and preparing the surface for step two.

The Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System was developed as a method of removing paint contamination beyond what can be removed by washing or claying. If you are familiar with detail clay, you know it is capable of removing above surface contaminants that have bonded to the paint. The Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System is designed to remove what lies below the paint surface.

Airborne chemical compounds and ferrous particles - particles containing iron - actually penetrate the paint and create corrosive compounds that eat deep into the paint's sub-layers. This is a gradual process that often is not evident until it's too late. Claying or polishing only removes the particle, not it's effects, which are continuing to spread beneath the surface.

Finish Kare Soil & Coating Remover / Wax & Detail Pre-Cleaner is the first step in this system. It is a fully biodegradable, alkaline based cleaner with inhibitors for safe usage. It removes outer surface rust, iron oxides, soil coatings, and vehicle wrap adhesives while cleaning and preparing the surface for step two.

To use Finish Kare Soil & Coating Remover / Wax & Detail Pre-Cleaner, dilute 1 part Soil Remover to 4 parts water. Rinse the vehicle to remove dust and loose soil. Then wash with Finish Kare Soil & Coating Remover / Wax & Detail Pre-Cleaner and a wash mitt. Use light pressure to agitate the vehicle, working it in for 5-10 minutes. Rinse the entire vehicle with cold water. Then dry the horizontal surfaces of the vehicle.

After using Finish Kare Soil & Coating Remover / Wax & Detail Pre-Cleaner, the outer paint will be stripped of waxes and silicones and all surface contamination. Paint contamination can be layers deep, so the Finish Kare addresses these layers step by step. After the outer paint layer is clean, Step 2 Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover will neutralize and remove ferrous particles.

It is very important to follow all four steps in the Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System in their prescribed order. The sequence of alkaline, acidic, and neutral cleaners helps counteract the effects of the paint contaminants.

The Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System is used by body shops for pre-cleaning prior to detailing and by dealerships for new and used car prep. It is proven to deliver a clean, glassy smooth vehicle that is protected from the harmful effects of paint contamination. No other is as fast and effective at removing multi-layer paint contamination.

Complete paint decontamination starts with Finish Kare Soil & Coating Remover / Wax & Detail Pre-Cleaner.

Step 2 - Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover/ Acid Based Cleaner consists of blended acids and inhibitors which actually open the pores of the paint allowing the ferrous particles to be removed by agitation. Additionally, #883 will enter the subsurface of the paint film and neutralize caustic compounds generated by ferrous particles that have penetrated paint film.

Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover/ Acid Based Cleaner deep cleans the sub-layers of auto paint to protect the paint from ferrous (iron-containing) particles. This preventative measure puts a stop to corrosion by neutralizing caustic compounds. No other method cleans paint as deeply as Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover.

The Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System was developed as a method of removing paint contamination beyond what can be removed by washing or claying. If you are familiar with detail clay, you know it is capable of removing above surface contaminants that have bonded to the paint. The Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System is designed to remove what lies below the paint surface.

Airborne chemical compounds and ferrous particles - particles containing iron - actually penetrate the paint and create corrosive compounds that eat deep into the paint's sub-layers. This is a gradual process that often is not evident until it's too late. Claying or polishing only removes the particle, not it's effects, which are continuing to spread beneath the surface.

Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover/ Acid Based Cleaner is Step 2 of the Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System. Step 1, Finish Kare 1119 Soil and Coating Remover, removes surface soil. Since paint contaminants penetrate below the surface, Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover opens up the paint's pores to release ferrous particles and to neutralize caustic compounds that have developed in the paint's subsurface. Ongoing damage is immediately stopped and future damage is prevented by removing the ferrous particles.

To use Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover/ Acid Based Cleaner, apply it undiluted to the paint using a wash mitt. (Use a different mitt than the one used for Step 1.) Keep the surface wet. Work in Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover for 5-10 minutes using light pressure. Rinse the entire vehicle with cold water. Dry horizontal surfaces and inspect them. Use a cellophane glove or a plastic sandwich bag over your hand to feel for impurities. If paint feels gritty, repeat Step 2.

It is very important to follow all four steps in the Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System in their prescribed order. The sequence of alkaline, acidic, and neutral cleaners helps counteract the effects of the paint contaminants.

The Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System is used by body shops for pre-cleaning prior to detailing and by dealerships for new and used car prep. It is proven to deliver a clean, glassy smooth vehicle that is protected from the harmful effects of paint contamination. No other is as fast and effective at removing multi-layer paint contamination.

Remove paint contamination from deep within the paint with Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover/ Acid Based Cleaner.

CAUTION: Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover/ Acid Based Cleaner is for professional use only. Protective goggles, gloves, and clothing should be worn, and a first aid kit should be available in case of accidental contact.

Step 3 - Finish Kare 118 Super Concentrated Shampoo 31 oz
    A heavy-duty highly active shampoo concentrate, non-clogging, non-hydrolyzing neutral soap system. #118SC when used with cold water quenches the paint surface which pops ferrous particles up and out of the paint system. #118 because of its special blend of chemicals will also neutralize acid rain surfaces as well as acidic contamination below the surface.

After decontamination the paint has been striped clean and left with no protection, so it is very important that a sealer be applied immediately.

Step 3 Prevents the effects of hard water and acid rain!

Finish Kare 118 Super Concentrated Shampoo has the slickness and the suds to safely wash your vehicle, plus water softeners and acid rain neutralizers. How many car washes can say that? Finish Kare Shampoo is clean-rinsing and will not strip wax. It could be the auto shampoo you've been searching for!

A great car wash has to be gentle and effective, safe on the paint but hard on dirt and grime. Finish Kare has accomplished all of the above with their Finish Kare 118 Super Concentrated Shampoo. This pH neutral car wash has excellent cleaning power to remove road grime and residues, yet it preserves the existing wax or sealant coating. Therefore, when you're finished washing, your vehicle looks clean and shiny.

Finish Kare 118 Super Concentrated Shampoo works hard to protect your vehicle's finish. It softens the wash water to help counteract the effects of hard water. You can feel the slickness of the lubricants! Acid rain neutralizers protect your paint finish from environmental pollutants.

Finish Kare 118 Super Concentrated Shampoo is Step 3 in the Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System. After using steps 1 and 2 to clean the paint, this gentle car wash restores a neutral pH to the paint and removes any cleaner or contaminant left on the paint. Always use a fresh wash mitt. Dilute 1 oz. per gallon of water.

This step is very important after using an alkaline cleaner (Finish Kare Soil & Coating Remover) and then an acidic cleaner (Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover). Follow up with Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant Conditioner or Finish Kare 2180 Ultra to seal and protect the newly decontaminated paint.

Finish Kare 118 Super Concentrated Shampoo is biodegradable and safe on all finishes. Use it on your vehicle, boat, RV, ATV, or aircraft. The highly concentrated formula is a fantastic value.

For the best results, dilute 1 oz. of Finish Kare 118 Super Concentrated Shampoo per 1 gallon of water in the 5 gallon wash bucket found in the Autogeek Complete Two Bucket Wash System. The Grit Guard Insert in the bottom will help keep grit from being transferred back to your vehicle. The second bucket should filled with clean water and used for rinsing the mitt before reloading it with soapy water. This handy bucket system, plus a soft wash mitt, will help you get shiny, swirl-free results with Finish Kare 118 Super Concentrated Shampoo.

Even with added water softeners and acid rain neutralizers, Finish Kare 118 Super Concentrated Shampoo is 100% clean rinsing. After washing your vehicle, what you'll see is a truly clean vehicle.

31 oz.

Step 4 - Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant Conditioner

218 Poly Wipe Sealant Conditioner is formulated with amino functional and polymer resins. These resins chemically create a a cationic effect which allows them to plate to the surface of the finish forming a protective web allowing paint to breath and withstand temperatures in excess of 300 degrees. In addition, #218 does not contain any harmful silicones (i.e. dimethyl silicones), which are a wet, greasy evaporative, migratory component.

With a Patented Anti Static Agent, 218 A.S. forms a shield to Kill the attraction of dust As Well As Industrial Fallout That Is Magnetically Attracted To A Vehicle.

Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant Conditioner combines paint cleaning with durable protection, all in a easy liquid formula. Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant is a blend of anti corrosive, detergent-resistant polydimethylsiloxane copolymers, which provide great looks and long-wearing resistance to heat, water, and weather. Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant makes car care maintenance-free!

Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant Conditioner is a sealant for use on all finishes. The sealant removes surface accumulation and oxidation while penetrating and sealing the pores of the paint, giving great depth and trueness of color. The clean paint achieves a deeper gloss and looks healthier and smoother.

High melt resins offer prolonged surface protection and resistance to the elements, oxidation and detergents for months of maintenance-free protection. This means the Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant Conditioner has a high melting point and provides great protection in sunny, hot climates. Regular washing is all it takes to maintain a clean, shiny finish. Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant Conditioner lasts through rain, washing, and daily driving.

Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant Conditioner is excellent for use on paint, fiber glass, gel coat, glass and chrome surfaces. Use it on your car, boat, RV, and ATV.

Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant Conditioner is similar to Finish Kare Ultra Polymer Sealant but with more cleaning ability. Apply it with an orbital polisher or by hand. Use a soft foam finishing pad. Spread a small amount of Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant Conditioner over about a 2 x 2 sq. ft. section until you've achieved an even coat. allow the sealant to dry for about 15 minutes. Buff with a clean, soft Cobra Indigo Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloth.

Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant Conditioner cleans, seals, and protects the paint in just one step. Moderate cleaning action intensifies the shine.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, thanks for the information! It's great to get free information 1-on-1 with such a master as yourself

I can only imagine how great it would be to get a job in detailing right now. I would love such a chance but in this economy I doubt it will happen. I'm a computer scientist/network administrator right now and I'm graduating from High School on May 21st. I have a long journey ahead of me and a lot to learn about detailing seeing as I'm only 19. Computers are my work but making cars look good is my passion

Maybe one day I can land a job in the detailing market.

I will take all you wrote into consideration, and I'm about 600 miles away from Stuart, FL which might be a bit of a hike for me in my car but who knows, maybe I'll make the trip this summer if you want a car that you can document? I also have some other "interesting" things about my paint that you might feel the need to document.

Thanks again for the information!