autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Hi Mike,

Once again, thank you for a very good article.
    I followed this guide and polished my Dodge Wayfarer Business Coupe '49 during this winter, and I am quite satisfied with the results.
    The picutres don't justify the amazing results, but nevertheless, here are a few pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints-img_1792-jpg   The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints-img_1796-jpg   The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints-img_1789-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

... I have attached two more pictures, one a close up of one of the fenders - and the other one showing the edge near the front window. I am interested in how you would treat these areas on a car that shows signs of rust.

EDIT: it is hard to see when the picuters get uploaded, will try to get some better picutres and upload during the weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints-fender1-jpg   The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints-img_1794-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Vifa View Post

... I have attached two more pictures, one a close up of one of the fenders - and the other one showing the edge near the front window. I am interested in how you would treat these areas on a car that shows signs of rust.
    I'd rub them down with the number #7 and do the best you can then seal with wax and enjoy the ride. Not more you can do outside of trying a compound and if you do this becarful you don't rub through the paint to primer or steel.

EDIT: it is hard to see when the picuters get uploaded, will try to get some better picutres and upload during the weekend.
    I think you're "Attaching" your images. Try "uploading" them to your gallery and then "insert" them. That's how I do it and while it takes a little thinking to figure it out I do have how-to articles on this topic and I can even help you to figure it out.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply, I have tried to upload some better pictures (hope this will work :-) )

This picture shows the edge at the roof above the driver's door.

As you cleary can see, a lot of 'rust' has gathered here through the years.

Here is a picture of my right front fender..

...and a close up:

How would you treat the fender ? - and would you still use #7 to remove the rust in the first picture ?

...and should I be concerned when I rub out #7 on my left front fender when it looks like this ?

Thanks for the tip about uploading pictures instead - seems to work - and thank you for your time.

Best Regards

Post Thanks / Like

"As you cleary can see, a lot of 'rust' has gathered here through the years."
    Try IRON-X on the rust then put on a top coat of your liking.Just putting off the inevitable. Now-a-days it`s called PATINA.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Mike Phillips

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply, I have tried to upload some better pictures (hope this will work :-) )

This picture shows the edge at the roof above the driver's door.

As you cleary can see, a lot of 'rust' has gathered here through the years.

would you still use #7 to remove the rust in the first picture ?

First, thanks for getting back to me...

Second, just this last week I shared a tip on cleaning out the drip rail on classic cars and streetrods before machine polishing, here's the link to what I wrote on our Competition Ready Facebook page.

Air currents

While the tip doesn't specifically apply to what you're trying to do it does apply to working the area you're going to work and that's the drip rail.

The rust you show inside the drip rail is common on old cars with old paint and here's what I would do. I would get a piece of terry cloth toweling, that is take a terry cloth bath towel, hand towel or wash cloth and cut out a chunk about 5" square.

Fold this piece of terry cloth in half and then dribble some #7 into the channel of the drip rail and then start rubbing the piece of terrycloth along the inside of the drip rail.

This will do three things,

1. Loosen and remove any loose paint that are chipping off. This is to be expected and by removing any loose paint you can now get to the surface below to clean and polish it.

2. Remove any rust residue. You'll have to rub a lot as surface rust on metal doesn't come off as easily as oxidized paint.

3. Restore a polished surface to any paint left inside the drip rail.

Then like the rest of the car, simply maintain this area using the same technique.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Mike,

What do you recommend using instead of the M80 speed glaze? I think it is discontinued as I cannot find it anywhere.

John

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JuanCappuccino View Post
    Hello Mike,

What do you recommend using instead of the M80 speed glaze? I think it is discontinued as I cannot find it anywhere.

John

Hi John,

I created for you, your very own thread. When you tag a question onto a thread that already has over 200 replies and almost 4 hundred thousand views it can get kind of lost.

Here's the link to your thread and I've posted a lot of info to help you restore the original paint on your 1969 Oldsmobile 98

How to restore original paint on a 1969 Oldsmobile 98

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Mike,

Can you tell me what to use instead of the M80 speed glaze as it does not appear to be available any longer and is no longer on the McGuiar's website.

All the best,

John G.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Mike,

Can you tell me what to use instead of the M80 speed glaze as it does not appear to be available any longer and is no longer on the McGuiar's website.

All the best,

John G.

Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast