autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

where did i go wrong

I got my heated/AC'd shop back, and got to detailing once again after taking a good 5 years off.

first car was my 05 CTS-V that had not been touched in a few years (dont ask). i started with PO85RD with a orange pad (older PC), then Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. i have some faint holograming that i need worked out, also i need something a bit stronger on the roof and rear deck ideas? plus im looking for a much deeper shine on a very dark red, i have a jar of Souveran on the shelf is that the best bet?

as far the int. the
    Ultrasuede needs some help. i hit it with ethyl alcohol ( like they say to do)it helped, but need something a bit stronger, ideas?

and because its kinda rare :wall:

Super Member Joshs2013MSAltimaSL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: where did i go wrong

Hey bud, your first problem is using 85rd which is a fine finishing polish with an aggressive compounding pad. 85rd shouldn't be used with anything more than a blue pad. You need to go back over the car with a medium polish or compound. Do you have any M105, M205, Menzerna SIP etc? Anything stronger than 85rd. What other pads do you have?
    Be sure to check out http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-everyone.html. All pictures are welcome!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joshs07redss View Post
    Hey bud, your first problem is using 85rd which is a fine finishing polish with an aggressive compounding pad. 85rd shouldn't be used with anything more than a blue pad. You need to go back over the car with a medium polish or compound. Do you have any M105, M205, Menzerna SIP etc? Anything stronger than 85rd. What other pads do you have?

I toattally agree, 85 rd is a finishing polish and the orange is a cutting pad. Granted you never specified what machine you're using. I have used PO203 with a white pad on a makita rotary and it finished down perfect on a friends TBSS that uses the exact same paint system that your CTS-V uses. If you want to make sure you really pull out the shine you could get a blue finessing pad and then use the 85rd.

Post Thanks / Like

grab some Menzerna SIP and Nano to use prior 085rd. Then consider Wolfgang Fuzion Wax on that red.

Scott

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

opps the menzerna chart has a 85RD3.02 on it, chart has added a few things over the years ... i WAS using SIP, with the orange pad.

machine is a 7336, i have SIP, nano and just a orange pad. the others i have are finishing pads (blue, and gray)

if its still not getting out what i need i might go run threw the how to vids to make sure i'm using the machine correctly.

sorry for the delay i was doing some HP tuner stuff so the puter was off line all week

Post Thanks / Like

Go with SIP on the orange pad and then try out Nano on the gray. The gray pads have some slight cut to them so if you still see some hazing left behind, you can follow up the Nano/gray with Nano and a blue pad. It would be great to pick up some white pads to use with the SIP as well.
    Be sure to check out http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-everyone.html. All pictures are welcome!!

Post Thanks / Like

Caddy paint is very hard, like most GM's. You can also use a PFW or another wool pad to quickly correct with a compound like Megs 105. Follow it up with something like PF and a white LCC pad and you should have a great finish. Jewel it after with 85rd and a blue pad if you want it pristine. Welcome back to detailing too!!

Post Thanks / Like

You need a stronger machine and products. Try the Wolfgang Twins or M105 and M205. Get yourself some orange and white 5.5'' flat pads and some Black 6'' kompressor pads. This should solve all your problems
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

If you're going to use an older PC, you don't want to go with any pads bigger than 5.5" also.

Post Thanks / Like

No need for a stronger tool, just need the correct accessories to go along with it. I would suggest some orange, white, gray and blue flat 5.5 pads, Meguiars 105 and 205 since you have a harder clear coat. You already have the 85rd to finish polish the paint after using the Megs twins. Menzerna sip/106ff and Wolfgang Twins are nice products, they are no match for your hard clear coat.