autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Had to come to the experts for this(DA questions)..,

Quote Originally Posted by adrock2003 View Post
    lol I love how all of you are saying the Flex is BY FAR better, when it's not better. In SOME WAYS it's better, but for raw correction ability, the Griot's is the more powerful of the two. The forced rotation from the Flex offers a better initial finish, but it leaves a lot of defects behind that the Griot's removes.

VR8 and I work together and he uses the Flex and I use the new Griot's. My machine is more powerful and I get better defect removal, but his machine is more refined and leaves less marring.

I've had no real quality issues with my Griot's other than the C-clip holding the bearing assembly together wearing out, but that's after a good 60 cars or so and daily use at maximum speeds. I love it's power and correction ability, but I also love the Flex for it's ability to leave a cleaner finish with certain pad/product combinations.

Now, let me be clear, that's not to say the Griot's doesn't leave the same finish as the flex, as it does and does not require any extra passes or time that the flex doesn't. But both John (VR8) and I have noticed that the flex can leave a cleaner finish in some instances where the power of the Griot's can sometimes require a bit more "dialing-in" in terms of pad/product combination. Sometimes it's just too aggressive where the forced rotation of the flex allows a cleaner, more reliable correction with more predictable results and particular pad/product combinations.

The lifetime warranty of the Griot's is bulletproof. I tried to get a new C-clip to repair my old machine, but instead, they sent me a whole new machine, no questions asked. Have no fear that the warranty is "questionable". As it's not.

Hope I helped. Long story short, for more correction ability, go with the Griot's, but if you're looking for a more predictable finish with less "dialing-in" and your budget can handle the cost, go with the Flex.
    I'm surprised the Griot's can possibly remove more defects than the 3401? What are others opinions on this?
    Last edited by WRAPT C5Z06; 01-25-2010 at 12:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Had to come to the experts for this(DA questions)..,

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    I'm surprised the Griot's can possibly remove more defects than the 3401? What are others opinions on this?
    If I was to comment in my typical manner I would just say "nonsense, guy is ...".

If I was to comment differently I would challenge person saying it to prove it on hard paint panel sanded with 1500 grit.

From my limited experience there is only one machine that can outdo Flex in corrective power overall, and it is not DA, it is rotary, and there is only DA that is vying to be approximately equal and it is not Griot's V2 no matter how much I like GG V2 among "PC"s.

Post Thanks / Like

All machines have benefits and detractions, just like each product. Someone that learns and practices with one machine extensively will always see a better benefit than another they are not as familar with, just as a professional can often polish quicker and correct quicker. There is however no wrong answer, so polish on with whatever machine and techniques you feel comfortable with...

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    All machines have benefits and detractions, just like each product. Someone that learns and practices with one machine extensively will always see a better benefit than another they are not as familar with, just as a professional can often polish quicker and correct quicker. There is however no wrong answer, so polish on with whatever machine and techniques you feel comfortable with...
    That my friends is the answer in a nut shell. Better? Worse? Nope, that's why they make white cars, blue cars, green cars..etc.... Different strokes for different folks.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

I just say whatever to that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    I just say whatever to that.

I used the Griots. I haven't used my Flex yet. Work keeps overflowing into the weekends! As soon as I have a free 5 hours I will get to work on my Flex and do a write up on what I find but come on now. The Flex is going to remove defects faster.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Flex is better

Post Thanks / Like

Having worked side by side with adrock2003 for the last 4 months or so ... he's heard me say this before, so it's not a shock.

You will NOT win the "Which is better?" arguement with him! May as well quit stirring the pot. It's a good machine, he does good work, we work well together. Nuff said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VR8 View Post
    Having worked side by side with adrock2003 for the last 4 months or so ... he's heard me say this before, so it's not a shock.

You will NOT win the "Which is better?" arguement with him! May as well quit stirring the pot. It's a good machine, he does good work, we work well together. Nuff said.
    No one is stiring the pot. We are answering the OP's question on what we think. I'm not interested in a pissing contest. Everyone has an opinion and are entitled to it. That is what a forum is about.

Post Thanks / Like

lol The flex is a different machine, but no better or worse than my Griot's. Both VR8 and I have had good and bad days with both of our machines. I stand by what I said in that I feel my Griot's corrects faster, but leaves more marring and hazing. The Flex is better at leaving a clean surface. It all comes down to your budget. If you can afford the flex, then get it. If you can't swing $300+ for it, then go for the Griot's. Re-read through my posts and you'll see that I've stated that several times. When I have the money, I will be buying a Flex, but I still stand by what I said about my Griot's.

EDIT***Let me also add one more thing. The forced rotation of the Flex is VERY strong. If I used the Flex on a daily basis, then it's very possible my opinion would change. I got a chance to actually use the Flex the other day and must say, it's a beast. If you have the money, get the Flex. I do actually believe it is the better machine of the two, but if you don't, then go with the Griot's.
    Last edited by O.C.Detailing; 01-31-2010 at 10:32 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast