autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: yet another Newbie question(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NA709 View Post

When you say swirl X is a "medium aggressive" , it isnt going to eat up my clear coat over time if i use it twice a year will it?
    In the link I provided above, here's what I wrote pertaining to "Bubba-Proof"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Also take comfort in that when Meguiar's launches a product in their Consumer Line, and especially any product for use by machine on a scratch-sensitive clear coat finish they have tested it and tested until it's 100% "Bubba-Proof".

SwirlX is very easy to work with and as long as you work clean you won't experience any problems.
    SwirlX uses SMAT = Super Micro Abrasive Technology and one of the features of this type of abrasive technology is that it's only as aggressive as you work it. For light cleaning, apply it lightly or gently and only for a short period of time. For more aggressive cleaning, apply it with more pressure or by machine.

Just to note, when you're working by hand you're only going to be working an area about 12 to 16 inches square. You don't tackle large sections at a time. You can tackle large section when you apply a wax or sealant after a product like SwirlX but not when working a product like SwirlX. It has to do with paint hardness and effectiveness.

And what the hell is DuraGloss 105? They label it as a cleaner/polish---but isnt it a wax (sealant)?? Or is it another abrasive polish like swirl x?
    Ah ha... a use for the new article I'm working on... here's where I've placed it according to the available information on the product.

Hybrid Cleaner Waxes/Sealants
    Duragloss Total Performance Polish (TPP) # 105

would you recommend dg105 or nxt 2.0?
    As for a waxes and paint sealants, I don't tend to like to make specific wax or sealant recommendations because it can lock me into a box I don't want to be in. Instead I like to say,

"Car waxes and paint sealants are to men like shoes are to women, you can never have too many" - Mike Phillips

Plan on buying one or two waxes or paint sealants a month and might as well start building a "Wax Rack", kind of like a "Shoe Rack" only unlike shoes in a closet, maybe find a nice wall in the living room to display your collection.

Just to confirm, the Swirl X is buffed into the car and then removed immediately while the wax/sealant is applied to the vehicle to let settle/dry then buffed off?

Yes, small sections at a time and when you start a new section overlap a little into the previous section.

i am sorry for all the newb questions.

i really do appreciate the help, thanks guys and gals!

-na7

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: yet another Newbie question(s)

mike,

thanks for all the great info.

i am excited to roll up the sleeves. I figure as long as I use my common sense---i can't mess this up too much. Might as well dive right in

once again, thanks to everyone.

-NA709

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12