autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know what pad to use?!?!

I'm going to apply Wolfgang paint polish enhancer with Griot's 6" orbital to my 07 z06. The paint is in pretty good shape. It's silver which does a good job of hiding imperfections. I don't know if I should use a gray or white CCS pad? Also, what speed should I use to apply the PPE?

Mike Phillips

Re: Don't know what pad to use?!?!

You can use either the White or Gray CCS pad on the 4.5
    speed setting for a Porter Cable polisher but the 4.0 setting on the GG ROP should work just as well.

Here's the information from this product's webpage.

Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer

Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer does not level or abrade the paint. It is a moisturizing lotion that uncovers the shimmering gloss of like-new paint by removing dull layers of old wax and surface impurities. Micro-fine fillers settle into light swirls and scratches to create a smooth, level surface. Minor imperfections will disappear.

Directions:

Machine Application:
    Use a white polishing pad on a dual action polisher, like the Porter Cable 7424XP. If you prefer a softer pad, use a gray finishing pad.

Apply 3 lines of polish to either the pad or directly to the vehicle surface. With the polisher turned off, spread the product over the surface to avoid splatter.

Set the maximum speed to 4.5 and work the polish over one panel at a time. When it begins to dry, stop polishing.

Use a microfiber towel to buff away the haze. Note: This product is not designed for use with a high speed rotary polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike.

I'm aware the gray is a softer pad. Would there be any possible advantages/disadvantages of using a white pad?

I just ordered the "improved" Griot's polisher. I hope it's a good one!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pad question as well. I have a 2003 Silver Saab 9-3 and paint is in good condition, but has water etchings. I already did a pass with an Orange CCS pad and Meg's Ultimate Compound and some Speed Glaze. It made a little difference but the etchings are still there. Should I do a few more passes with the comound or save time and use a CCS Yellow pad?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post

I'm aware the gray is a softer pad. Would there be any possible advantages/disadvantages of using a white pad?
    Whenever you're machine polishing paint you have at a minimum, 6 factors working at one time,

The aggressiveness or NON-aggressiveness of the product (chemical)
    The aggressiveness or NON-aggressiveness of the application material (in this case a foam buffing pad)
    The speed of the tool, either RPM or OPM
    The downward pressure or lack thereof
    Time spent working all of the above
    Number of applications

In the case of the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer, the webpage for the product states that

• Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer does not level or abrade the paint.

• It is a moisturizing lotion that uncovers the shimmering gloss of like-new paint by removing dull layers of old wax and surface impurities.

• Micro-fine fillers settle into light swirls and scratches to create a smooth, level surface. [Causing] Minor imperfections will disappear.

So assuming everything I wrote above is true and factual, then when you use a more aggressive pad versus a less aggressive pad, the pad in and of itself can increase or decrease the cleaning level being performed by all the factors at least to some degree even if it's nominal.

Kind of like scrubbing your hands with a soft foam applicator pad or with a wash rag, the wash rag will offer more scrubbing action against your skin even if in both cases you use the exact same soap.

There's not that much difference in cleaning ability between the white pad and the gray pad, at least not in your situation so you can really use either and you probably won't see any difference.

Generally speaking, a more firm pad like a white foam polishing pad will move over the surface easier than softer foam pads as they are not as gushy. Just my on personal insight on foam pad differences. I'm not saying this is good or bad, just a slight difference and some people might like how a polishing pad glides over the surface better than a soft foam finishing pad.

I alway recommend doing Test Spots and then inspecting the results before going over the entire car with any product, pad or process.

I just ordered the "improved" Griot's polisher. I hope it's a good one!
    These polishers are quite powerful on the high speed setting but as gentle as you want them to be on the lower speed settings. For this product you might even try the 3.0 speed setting.

For all the lurkers that will read this thread into the future...

Porter Cable 7424XP

Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher

Meguiar's G110v2

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by trencher7 View Post
    I have a pad question as well. I have a 2003 Silver Saab 9-3 and paint is in good condition, but has water etchings. I already did a pass with an Orange CCS pad and Meg's Ultimate Compound and some Speed Glaze. It made a little difference but the etchings are still there. Should I do a few more passes with the compound or save time and use a CCS Yellow pad?
    This should really be its own thread as it's so far away from his situation.

If you don't mind, simply copy and paste what your wrote into a new thread?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike! You're awesome.

If I'm understanding correctly, the PPE won't remove light imperfections, it will just fill/cover them up?

After the PPE, I will be applying wolgang sealant 3.0. The Griot's kit comes with gray and blue CCS pads. Which one should I use to apply the sealant?

Mike Phillips

Thanks Mike! You're awesome.

If I'm understanding correctly, the PPE won't remove light imperfections, it will just fill/cover them up?
    That's correct.

After the PPE, I will be applying Wolfgang sealant 3.0. The Griot's kit comes with gray and blue CCS pads. Which one should I use to apply the sealant?
    Either pad will be fine. I posted something about this previously to another thread, try one of these,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...iquid-wax.html

Actually, it's this one...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...riots-rop.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

That's correct.
    However, if the PPE in itself won't remove light imperfections, is it possible the light cutting power of the white pad could remove light imperfections? Basically, the pad would remove light imperfections, not the PPE. Does that make any sense?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.