autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What can I do about static?

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? Buffing creates an incredible amount of static on my plastic front and rear bumpers. I use indigo mf towels with Wolfgang products; the worst is DGPS, but it happens with Fuzion, too. This causes not only the wax dust but also every air-borne particle in a 10 mile radius to stick to the car and the towel. Is this a common problem? What can I do differently?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What can I do about static?

QD after the LSP cures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    QD after the LSP cures.
    This,

check out this thread as well:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ic-qder-s.html
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

yah i hate it man, i work at a motorcycle dealership Ohio, Honda, Yamaha, ATV, Motorcycle, Dealer, Schiets Motorsports and when im wiping off ATVs i get static, then i go touch people and scare the crap out of em!!!
    17 Tucson | 2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP | 89 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10

@TheRealPolisher on FaceBook | @green2kgt on IG

Post Thanks / Like

I have some FK 425 due in today. I'm hoping that using it as Loudog2 recommends, right after the LSP cures, will help keep some of dust and airborne particles off my black Camry a little longer than I'm getting.

Mike
    Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway
    George Carlin

Mike Phillips

Water removes static. So wiping with water would remove static. Wiping with water doesn't usually make the paint look glossy and clear.

Quick detailers, or spray detailers make paint look clear and glossy. Quick detailers or spray detailers contain water. Most any quick detailer will remove static electricity because they contain water and water removes static electricity.

Lots of rubbing with a dry cloth makes static electricity for do only a final wipe with your spray detailer to remove static electricity, don't wipe and wipe and wipe and wipe, etc.

For what it's worth, you can also ground out your car, this isn't a perfect solution but it can help. I've used Jumper cables because they're a great conduit for electricity and already have a built in clamp at both ends.

Clamp one end to car and clamp the other end to something that's grounded to the ground like a metal water pipe or a steel stake in the yard, use your imagination.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Water removes static. So wiping with water would remove static. Wiping with water doesn't usually make the paint look glossy and clear.

Quick detailers, or spray detailers make paint look clear and glossy. Quick detailers or spray detailers contain water. Most any quick detailer will remove static electricity because they contain water and water removes static electricity.

Lots of rubbing with a dry cloth makes static electricity for do only a final wipe with your spray detailer to remove static electricity, don't wipe and wipe and wipe and wipe, etc.

For what it's worth, you can also ground out your car, this isn't a perfect solution but it can help. I've used Jumper cables because they're a great conduit for electricity and already have a built in clamp at both ends.

Clamp one end to car and clamp the other end to something that's grounded to the ground like a metal water pipe or a steel stake in the yard, use your imagination.

I love the grounding idea...I use QD also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    QD after the LSP cures.

I maybe having a mental fart..it has been known to happen but what does LSP stand for?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Mike,

Speaking of using your imagination. Here is one of the replies you made to a thread I started over a year ago on MOL on the exact same subject.

"Part of the problem is air-borne dust particles have their own static charge and you can't remove this static charge from all the dust in the air.

Been told clear coats style paints also have their own level of static charge too...

Need a Forcefield of some kind... someting you can turn on and off like a car alarm..."

Great Idea. Too bad nobody ran with the idea.

Mike
    Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway
    George Carlin

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 14automobiles View Post
    I maybe having a mental fart..it has been known to happen but what does LSP stand for?
    LSP = Last Step Product

That would be the last thing you apply and then remove from the paint and afterwards you stand back and say,

"It is finished"

Some people think it means Last Step Protectant as in a finishing wax, either a Carnauba type wax or a synthetic Paint Sealant but that's not the true meaning.

Some people use a one-step wax when they detail for money for daily drivers, for them their AIO or One-Step Cleaner/Wax would be their LSP

Some people are working on fresh paint and won't apply any type of product that seals paint at all but instead may just apply something like #7 Show Car Glaze, for the the #7 would be their LSP

It's the last thing you apply and then remove from the paint and then afterwards your done. time to take the car for a spin and show it off or hand the keys back to the owner and collect your money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast