autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

da on single stage

i was breakin in my 7424 today and realized that my hood is painted in what im assuming is single stage paint. i say this because my pad turned black real quick, and when i was wiping off the broken down polish my mf towel was black as well. my question is when buffing single stage how often do you need to clean your pad?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: da on single stage

I usually try to clean the pads after every major panel. I also set aside these pads as dedicated SS pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: da on single stage

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSunshine01 View Post
    i was breakin in my 7424 today and realized that my hood is painted in what im assuming is single stage paint. i say this because my pad turned black real quick, and when i was wiping off the broken down polish my mf towel was black as well. my question is when buffing single stage how often do you need to clean your pad?
    You need to make sure you have at least TWO matching style pads when you buff any vehicle. Also, did you clay your Black Mustang BEFORE you started buffing it?

Stephen
    Stephen R. Hollon, Jr
    Pearland, TX
    (956) 357-7696 – Cell/Text / srhtx@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SRHTX View Post
    You need to make sure you have at least TWO matching style pads when you buff any vehicle. Also, did you clay your Black Mustang BEFORE you started buffing it?

Stephen
    i had clayed it not too long ago, but yes i did run some clay over it just to see how bad it really was. over all the clay didnt pick up all that much. but the pads didnt do that anywhere else on the car. when i bought the car, the guy told me that he had rear ended some one once and they had to replace the f bumper and re paint the hood. i didnt know how bad the single stage would clog the pads so i was swithcing and cleaning after evry 2x2 section. as for pads i have 2 orange, 2 white and 2 grey lake country.

on a side note how long does it take oyu guys to polish out a car? i was in the garage for like 8 hrs and didnt even make it half way through with the ssr2.5
    Last edited by BlackSunshine01; 09-14-2009 at 01:38 AM. Reason: added info

Post Thanks / Like

i had clayed it not too long ago, but yes i did run some clay over it just to see how bad it really was. over all the clay didnt pick up all that much. but the pads didnt do that anywhere else on the car. when i bought the car, the guy told me that he had rear ended some one once and they had to replace the f bumper and re paint the hood. i didnt know how bad the single stage would clog the pads so i was swithcing and cleaning after evry 2x2 section. as for pads i have 2 orange, 2 white and 2 grey lake country.

on a side note how long does it take oyu guys to polish out a car? i was in the garage for like 8 hrs and didnt even make it half way through with the ssr2.5
    Depends on many factors. Size of the car, depth of the defects, type of paint, what kind of correction work the owner wanted to achieve. If it took you 8 hours I would have to assume you were going for a flawless finish. I would then have to say you would have needed to use something more aggressive then SSR 2.5 to achieve those results in a shorter time frame. On your black car, for example, Meguiars 105/205 combo would reduce time spent rather then just SSR2.5
    But a typical car will usually run you a few hours.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to go to San Antonio/Boerne this month or next. I need to get the heck out of this valley for a few days. When I arrive there, I would like to meet up with you and take a look at it. From there, we can see what we could do to help you out.

Stephen

Stephen R. Hollon, Jr
    Pearland, TX
    (956) 357-7696 – Cell/Text / srhtx@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

i just finished my 02 Mustang GT this weekend. First time using my XP. took me a total of about 23-25 hours to finish just the exterior. just the paint. total of almost 30 hours total to completely do the exterior.
    17 Tucson | 2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP | 89 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10

@TheRealPolisher on FaceBook | @green2kgt on IG

Mike Phillips

My average for what I call a "Complete" is 14 hours, that's starting at 8:00am on a car that's already washed and dry so I can start taping it off ASAP and then get started on the first rotary step.

I've never claimed to be fast and I know most guys are faster than myself. To be honest, if I can get a customer to see the value in not having me rush on their car then I would always prefer to have 2-3 days for just the outside of the car, of course this depends on what needs to be done. Most of my life when someone asks me to work for them it's never a car in good shape, it's always a car in really bad shape and if it can't be be fixed through the buffing process then it would need to be repainted.

I'm not going to do a Mapquest to see how far you are from Dallas as you likely already know but if at all possible you should consider sign-up for this before it's full and it's almost full.

Detail Day at Nick's Custom Detailing - Dallas, Texas - November 14th

(There's a link to the actual sign-up thread on MOL)

Myself and Nick Chapman as well as some other very talented detailers will be there sharing what we know. It's going to be a lot of fun plus educational.

Post Thanks / Like

ok i got some pics of what i was workin with. not the best but it will show some of what i have done. i first was working with garage only light and some very over cast daylight. let me tell you i had no idea how crucial the halogen lamps really are. when i put that bad boy up to my car the finish was way more swirled than i had imagined. here is what i was talkin about with the single stage. i took a pic of my pad and mf towel to show you guys. first 3 are about the single stage, the rest are what i have done with a orange pad and pb ssr2.5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails da on single stage-s4020878-jpg   da on single stage-s4020877-jpg   da on single stage-s4020876-jpg   da on single stage-s4020867-jpg   da on single stage-s4020870-jpg   da on single stage-s4020872-jpg   da on single stage-s4020865-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen much worse pads on ss paint. Now you need to finish down with ssr1 on a white pad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast