autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

when to use dr color chip

I'm about to detail my wife's 2014 Honda Pilot (black) and repair some chips.
    I just ordered the Dr. Color Chip RoadRash kit.
    My normal procedure is 1-Clay (with Nanoskin pad), 2-Swirl remover, 3-Klasse All-In-One polish/seal, 4-Carnuba wax. All done with Porter Cable random orbital polisher.
    My question is: At what point in (or after or before) my procedure do I use the Dr. Color Chip repair kit. Dr. Color Chip says do it after all "hard detailing". I'm not sure what hard detailing is.
    Thanks for any input.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: when to use dr color chip

I use it before my last polish step. Using seal act will leave some marring. I let the repairs sit over night before doing the final polish. Haven't had any issues this way.

Sent from my D6708 using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Detailing is a way of life, not a hobby!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good advice - didn't consider the marring. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I typically do paint touch-ups as the first step before any "detailing" but that's just me. Anywhere in the process prior to applying the wax or sealant is okay. And like previously stated, an overnight (or longer) cure of the touch-ups is desirable.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't anyone use it on a tri coat/candy paint? The body shop was stupid and negligent enough to leave 7' long hairline scratch. Whatever paint they tried to use to cover it up was like black and white difference. I could get rid most of it, but now there is a thin white scratch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VeloNYC View Post
    Didn't anyone use it on a tri coat/candy paint? The body shop was stupid and negligent enough to leave 7' long hairline scratch. Whatever paint they tried to use to cover it up was like black and white difference. I could get rid most of it, but now there is a thin white scratch.
    You need to understand the limitations of "touch-ups". A seven ft. long scratch is definitely pushing those limits. Add to that a tri-coat pearlescent finish and you will surely be disappointed if your expectations are very high.

Generally speaking, small nicks and/or scratches in solid-color finishes are the easiest to repair, and if done properly can be undetectable, or nearly so. Metallic-color finishes are more difficult because you cannot duplicate the 'lay' of the metallic particles to match the original finish so your expectations need to go down a notch. And pearls, these are the most difficult of all. I've never done a pearl touch up but if I did I certainly wouldn't set my expectations very high.