autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: No sheeting, but lots of beading?

Quote Originally Posted by prr View Post
    Looks like Supra didn't read Eldorado's slick plan.

Seriously, I put it on a "flood" setting, which poured out lots and lots of water. It wasn't as if it were running out of the hose, but it came out in a wide running stream. It was not a mister type of setting---I made sure to use a setting that had a lot of water pouring out of it. If I didn't see one, I would have taken off the nozzle, but decided that I didn't have to, b/c I was getting plenty of water with the setting that I chose.
    The nozzle could be the entire cause of what you are experiencing. The video Supra9497 linked is a classic demonstration of "sheet rinsing" aka "pool rinsing" aka...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lt1xL82 View Post
    The nozzle could be the entire cause of what you are experiencing. The video Supra9497 linked is a classic demonstration of "sheet rinsing" aka "pool rinsing" aka...

Hmmm let me just say that I don't believe that the nozzle was the case. I took a look at the video after reading your comments. I have to say that the stream of water that I had was not as wide and fast as that water coming out of the hose, but there was a fairly decent stream of water. Its not like some of those detailers who make a video to show off sheeting, and then pour out a couple ounces of water from a bottle. It was a pretty decent running stream of water. Without a video of what I did, I'm not too sure what more to say.

Next week, I'll wash again and before waxing, I'll be sure to take a video of what I am talking about.

EDIT: And the water on my van was nowhere near as fast sheeting off, as in that video.

Post Thanks / Like

Some people would kill to have their
    choices of Waxes/Sealants/Coatings...
    (LSPs)...exhibit similar water-beading
    characteristics (caused by factors such
    as: cohesion; surface tension; hydro-
    phobicity; contact angle; etc.) as yours.

•And, to me:
    -Unless an LSP has been specifically
    formulated to sheet water (hydrophilic
    characteristics); then:
    -"Sheeting" water off of a vehicle,
    using a free flowing water source,
    is just another example of gravity
    at work. No more; no less.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Since nobody has challenged this view, I'll accept it as well grounded.

Thanks for the input. I suppose I will be ignoring sheeting water (as a sign of the presence of wax), and just use beading as a guage for how quickly my wax is dissipating.

I was beginning to think that sheeting was a better way to guage the protection that wax was providing the paint, but looks like that idea is out the window.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •And, to me:
    -Unless an LSP has been specifically
    formulated to sheet water (hydrophilic
    characteristics); then:
    -"Sheeting" water off of a vehicle,
    using a free flowing water source,
    is just another example of gravity
    at work. No more; no less.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Sheeting and beading are linked together through surface tension. The tighter the individual beading in most cases (higher surface tension), the faster the water will sheet off of the panel once you flood the paint.

See Paint Protect on the left side, still very defined beading but flood the paint and it forms a fairly slow sheet. Carnauba based waxes can have some great initial beading/sheeting, but a few weeks of time is plenty for their surface tension to be negatively impacted. So in the extreme case, can we have something that produces the tight beading of ICE on the right side in the picture and not have decent sheeting? I have never seen this in my testing.

What wax did you apply to the paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah - I would agree with Loach - tight beading typically equals better sheeting - FYI - you mentioned Carnuba - stand alone Carnuba Wax is really designed more for high gloss looks with short lived durability...

So my guess is while there is still beading your protection is wearing out.....

For winter - I would suggest some sort of actual sealant and not one that touts Carnuba as the gloss factor - to me - Winter is about maximum durability with gloss secondary!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grovlet View Post
    Yeah - I would agree with Loach - tight beading typically equals better sheeting - FYI - you mentioned Carnuba - stand alone Carnuba Wax is really designed more for high gloss looks with short lived durability...

For winter - I would suggest some sort of actual sealant and not one that touts Carnuba as the gloss factor - to me - Winter is about maximum durability with gloss secondary!
    Perhaps the protection was wearing out. And this weekend, the beading was so little on those panels that I went ahead and waxed it again, even thought it was only 6 weeks after my previous wax job. So perhaps what I was noticing was a degrading of the wax layer.

Anyways, it was Collinite.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prr View Post
    Perhaps the protection was wearing out. And this weekend, the beading was so little on those panels that I went ahead and waxed it again, even thought it was only 6 weeks after my previous wax job. So perhaps what I was noticing was a degrading of the wax layer.

Anyways, it was Collinite.

Which Collonite was it?

What prep did you do before applying?

Also where do you live and was it subjected to any salt or snow?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grovlet View Post

not to mention the guy said it was raining a lot that will strip wax a lot faster, plus salts on the road depending where you live, have you the op done a touchless laser wash or used a coin operated pressure washer. also are you waxing on top of clean, uncontaminated paint? that can make a difference with bonding

edit: ^^wizard^^

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post
    Which Collonite was it?

What prep did you do before applying?

Also where do you live and was it subjected to any salt or snow?

No snow, although there has been a lot of rain lately (a few weekends, 2 or 3, I didn't wash the car b/c of so much rain). But no snow or road salt.

As far as prep, none at all. I may have clayed those surfaces once, years ago, but maybe not. Anyways, my prep is to wash the car before applying the wax. That's pretty much it. It was the 845.

No coin op washes. This last round it was all either rain water (ha ha) or Meguiars Deep Crystal soap.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast