autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaner wax for maintenance?

In that case, it sounds like a cleaner wax is just what I should use on a car that doesn't have major gashes, but after 12 years, has probably picked up some crud that I don't want to take the time to clay out.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    I've yet to find a Cleaner/Wax that's been
    formulated to remove major defects; or
    one that's intended to be used on paint
    for only/just a one-time basis.

JMO.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

I just picked up some of the mothers cleaner wax and HD speed to try on my new car. I noticed after washing it some minor marring.. most likely the dealer doing their detail. Can either of these AIOs be topped with anything else like glaze, sealant and more wax since they have some in it?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by prr View Post

would I be hurting my paint by using a cleaner wax as my every 4-8 week wax application for this car?
    No. Anything put out by Meguiar's or Mothers in their "consumer line" is Bubba-Proof. This means it is incredibly safe. Just don't get these cleaner/waxes or any brand cleaner/wax on pebble textured black plastic trim. It will stain it.

Is cleaner wax, with abrasives, meant only for one time applications to paint, to get rid of major defects? Would I be hurting my paint by using this all the time?
    No. Yes there are abrasives in these types of products but look at the brand name on the bottle. Do you think Meguiar's or Mothers would put out a wax for the masses that would contain an abrasive technology that would scratch or grind off paint?

The answer is no.

Here's a real simple test for you to do to show you how incredibly safe these products are...

Shake up the bottle really well and then pour some out onto your hand and feel the product between your fingers. It will feel like Jorgen's hand lotion. In FACT you won't feel any gritty particles at all.

I was calling on body shops when clearcoat paints were introduced and ALL the companies that make compounds, polishes and cleaner/waxes, (these are the products with abrasives in them), had to change their formulas because clearcoats scratch so easily.

There are junk products on the market so stick with known brand names and you'll be okay.

If it wouldn't hurt the paint, I will apply it and see if it does make a difference over regular wax, and then how much sooner the cleaner wax wears off (if it wears away any sooner at all--that is what people say can or will happen with cleaner wax).
    All waxes wear off. They are supposed to as they are sacrificial barrier coatings. They sacrifice themselves so you paint doesn't have to sacrifice itself.

Also, washing a waxed car wears off the wax, it's called micro-abrasion.

Waxing your minivan every other month or so will slowly restore the appearance as just the act of touching the paint, that is rubbing a smooth creamy cleaner/wax over it has a polishing effect.

Thanks to all for the replies. It looks like I'll be ok with the cleaner wax. My next wax job on the older vehicle, I'll do half with cleaner wax and the other half with a regular wax, and see if there is any difference.
    If the other wax is a non-cleaning wax and you're working on neglected paint the non-cleaning wax will have little to no effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Automoglow View Post

I just picked up some of the mothers cleaner wax and HD speed to try on my new car. I noticed after washing it some minor marring.. most likely the dealer doing their detail. C

an either of these AIOs be topped with anything else like glaze, sealant and more wax since they have some in it?
    Yes.

Some people use a cleaner/wax like a paint cleaner and then top with a pure wax, that is a wax with no cleaners.

Mike Phillips

Here's some articles I've written that cover a LOT of info on waxes and sealants...

The Difference Between a Cleaner/Wax and a Finishing Wax

How to choose and use a one-step cleaner/wax by Mike Phillips

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12