autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Passion behind the pad.

Please post a video of you or someone putting some passion behind the pad.

Mike Phillips

Re: Passion behind the pad.

Quote Originally Posted by dhjunkie View Post

Please post a video of you or someone putting some passion behind the pad.

There's an old one I made with Richard Lin showing how to properly work ScatchX on a 1960 Corvette, let me see if I can dig it up.

Mike Phillips

Lets see if the video code works for this wmv file

http://www.showcargarage.com/vid/60c..._scratchx2.wmv

Mike Phillips

What you don't see...

What you don't see because the video ends, (it was a teaser video), is AFTER you spread the product out and you see me rubbing the product in a straight line THEN I start pressing HARD and continue to move my hand back and forth FAST.

Do this for about a minute to the size section you see me working as that's about as large of a section as you can physically work to remove swirls and scratches when working by hand.

Thanks for the question.

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of the better overall vids I have seen lately; not just 'Passion Behind the Pad' but an overall hauntingly mesmerizing vid that, for me at least, makes one say "That's how I'd like to do it...". Don't know if mostly the music, the car or the process but very well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXdISGY3K3o

Believe I first saw it on sister site ACC.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post

This is one of the better overall vids I have seen lately; not just 'Passion Behind the Pad'
    Crazy busy this week so I don't have time to watch the video you posted to but does it show and/or have anyone explaining how to remove swirls and scratches by hand?

Mike Phillips

The subject of this thread is also a phrase I coined years ago... here's the link to the article...

Put a little passion behind the pad - Mike Phillips

It's not about "passion" it's about elbow grease as in order to remove swirls and scratches out of modern clearcoats you need LOTS of elbow grease or as I made a play on words, (explained in the article), you need a lot of PASSION in order to rub some type of applicator hard enough and long enough to actualy remove swirls and scratches out of modern hard clearcoats.

Here's the actual article....

Put a little passion behind the pad - Mike Phillips

Copyright ©PBMA - AutogeekOnline.net® All Rights Reserved

Put a little passion behind the pad
    The saying "put a little passion behind the pad" comes from the first how-to article I wrote on how to remove below surface defects like swirls, scratches, water spots and bird dropping etchings using only ScratchX by hand back when it used Diminishing Abrasive Technology or DAT back in June of 2004 in a thread that has been viewed 87,173 times at the time I'm writing this article.

When I first wrote this article it was because so many people were frustrated trying to remove swirls and scratches by hand using ScratchX and there were two reasons for this,

1. Back when ScratchX used Diminishing Abrasive Technology it was not very aggressive and in most cases would require multiple applications to small areas, (about 8" to 12" square), and using perfect technique

2. Most people were not using perfect technique or even good technique or even the right technique. Most people that would apply ScratchX would apply it like a finishing wax, that is they would gently spread the product around and then wipe it off expecting all the swirls and scratches to be gone only to be sorely disappointed.

This comes back to the hardness or unworkability of modern clear coats. Modern clear coats tend to be harder or less-polishable by hand as compared to softer single stage lacquers and enamels. For this reason the only way to abrade or remove small particle of clear paint off the surface is to use some downward pressure when applying by hand.

See this article for more information on paint hardness and softness

The practical differences between single stage paints and a clear coat paints

In my effort to type-out an explanation as to how much pressure a person needed to apply I wrote something like this,

Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by [B
    Mike Phillips[/B] on June 22nd, 2004 at 3:36PM

A couple of important notes to consider,

1) Clear coats are harder than traditional paints. This means they are more difficult to remove defects out of, especially by hand. This is part explains the increase in popularity of the Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher.

2) ScratchX is not a wipe-on, wipe-off product, (WOWO), it's more of a wipe-on, work-in product, (WOWI). You need to apply with a clean foam applicator pad and when you're applying it you need to use some elbow grease.

After writing the article and posting it I shared it with my Manager at that time who is also a Professional Copywriter, Richard Koeth.

Richard read my article and then called me and told me I needed to get that article down off the forum right away!

I asked him why and he said,

You can't say ScratchX requires elbow grease to get good results because that makes it sound like our products are hard to work use.

That makes sense at one level but I asked Richard if he's ever used ScratchX to remove below surface defects out of clear coat paints and he said,

"Of course but you can't write the directions in a way that makes it sound like it's hard work. You need to somehow re-write and re-word the elbow grease sentence".

So I moved the thread to the Moderator's forum until I came up with a new way to express to the reader that a person needs to rub the product against the paint using ample and firm downward pressure but at the same time keep it kinder and gentler. That's when I came up with,

"put a little passion behind the pad"

Passion invokes the idea of intense emotion but not the idea of work or struggling. While it's probably not the most or best descriptive word to associate with rubbing on car paint, when joined together in the context of using your hand to apply a product to paint in an effort to remove a below surface defect it seemed to work.

Plus Barry Meguiar is always using and talking about the passion we car enthusiasts have for working on our cars so it seem like the perfect solution to the problem.

I made the changes and then moved the thread back into the public how-to section of the forum. Here's how it reads after the re-write,

Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by [B
    Mike Phillips[/B] on June 22nd, 2004 at 3:36PM

A couple of important notes to consider,

1) Clear coats are harder than traditional paints. This means they are more difficult to remove defects out of, especially by hand. This is part explains the increase in popularity of the Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher.

2) ScratchX is not a wipe-on, wipe-off product, (WOWO), it's more of a wipe-on, work-in product, (WOWI). You need to apply with a clean foam applicator pad and when you're applying it you need to put a little passion behind your pad.

I sent Richard the link to the revised version and he gave me the wink and nod of approval.

The point of the above story is I'm going to do my best to explain with the written word and how-to videos how to apply hand-applied abrasive products in a way that will do two things,

1. Remove the offending defects
    2. Leave the paint looking clear and scratch-free

It's the second part that's tricky and takes some technique. You can't just rub a clear coat finish any old which-way with any old shop rag and expect it to look good when you're done.

So that's the story behind the story and as we move forward, this story will be linked to future articles.

While I know the trend is for machine polishing, there are times and places where only the human hand will do and just like a machine, in order to get good results you'll need to know how to use the right techniques when working by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Crazy busy this week so I don't have time to watch the video you posted to but does it show and/or have anyone explaining how to remove swirls and scratches by hand?

"Thread 'Passion behind the pad" reminded me of this video due to the care taken, not just in the buffing/polishing portion but in the overall process and the care/craft it exhibited. I have no ties to anyone or anything in the video but when I saw the thread title, it reminded me of this vid.

Whatever, feel free to delete as I no longer can edit/delete it.

FWIW, nowhere in the thread title did I see any reference to "show and/or have anyone explaining how to remove swirls and scratches by hand?" specifically.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mike.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post

FWIW, nowhere in the thread title did I see any reference to "show and/or have anyone explaining how to remove swirls and scratches by hand?" specifically.
    No big deal but the context of the word passion as it relates to what the OP was asking was about elbow grease or hard work and not our love or passion for the art of polishing paint.

It's all good...