autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: After Rain - Prevent Water Spots

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhank View Post
    Hi,

I have a black car, detailed flawless with PBL sealant and Souveran Paste Wax. I wash it with CR Spotless Wash, and works great to prevent water spots.

Car was dusty and it rained while I was out, and haven't had a chance to wash it after for 2 weeks. Just washed and the entire hood is covered in the water spots, especially where the dust pooled.

I know how to correct the paint, but asking for best way to prevent after rain without having to wash the entire car after each rain.

Thanks and welcome any advice!
    waterless wash for me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    Black paint is a nightmare, you really want to try and find a LSP that sheets instead of beading. Beading looks sexy but results in very bad water spots, as Desertnate noticed nice tall great looking beads dry extremely slowly and just catch more airborne contaminants and they settle right on the outside edge of the water droplet and form hideous rings. Beading is for light colored cars.
    souveran sheets well the first week lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by medicscott View Post
    I am an authorized installer for Optimum. Spotless and MDR do little by themselves to help severe spotting. We have had recent success with bad water spotting using wheel acid that contains Ammonium Bi-Flouride...Yes one's first reaction would be, I WOULD NEVER SPRAY WHEEL ACID on my paint. Rest assured, its totally safe and Opti-Coat Pro and Gloss Coat safe.

Process for removal:
    Ferrex, allow to dwell for a minute
    Hose off
    Spray MDR, gently spread with a foam applicator one section at a time, allow 5-10 minutes to dwell (disregard the 30 seconds the label says) and hose off
    Spray wheel acid, spread gently with foam applicator one section at a time, allow 1 minute to dwell without allowing acid to dry, hose off
    Spotless finish guaranteed!
    The Valuguard ABC decontamination system which is a very thorough system, has acid as one of its stages. The other thing I always suggest and is my first go-to is white vingegar, which is a mild acid itself.

Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Spotless as others have mentioned and Gyeon Water Spot. Both are OK if the spots are recent - before etching.

Gyeon will degrade some of the LSP in my experience, but not the coating. So, if you have a sealant or wax on top of your coating, you may want to reapply. Hard to tell sometimes unless your coating is "grabby" as to whether the sealant or wax is degraded.

On the other hand, someone recently posted that it really takes a good polish to remove a LSP, so consider that as well.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I have a black car, detailed flawless with PBL sealant and Souveran Paste Wax. I wash it with CR Spotless Wash, and works great to prevent water spots.

Car was dusty and it rained while I was out, and haven't had a chance to wash it after for 2 weeks. Just washed and the entire hood is covered in the water spots, especially where the dust pooled.

I know how to correct the paint, but asking for best way to prevent after rain without having to wash the entire car after each rain.

Rain water is free of minerals (may have acid rain particles) so what you have is surface contamination.

Best way to prevent is wash often and seal or coat.

I usually can just water spray and dry and no spots.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    Spotless will kill or substantially degrade normal waxes and most sealants. It is just barely within the tolerable chemical pH range for CQuartz coatings so that it will not harm the coating (when used as directed).
    Hi Nicholas, can you elaborate on this?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I'm new to this having just got a black car. My neighbour is having a new extension and brick dust is everywhere. Last week it rained on my freshly covered brick dusted car and it sat for three days without moving. I've just washed it and circular marks are all over the bonnet and roof, presumably from the dust and rain. It's not that serious, no one would notice them but me, but will these disappear after time or should I tackle them somehow? Many thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nilli View Post
    Hi, I'm new to this having just got a black car. My neighbour is having a new extension and brick dust is everywhere. Last week it rained on my freshly covered brick dusted car and it sat for three days without moving. I've just washed it and circular marks are all over the bonnet and roof, presumably from the dust and rain. It's not that serious, no one would notice them but me, but will these disappear after time or should I tackle them somehow? Many thanks.
    Cement has lime and other minerals in it. I would not let it sit, use the least aggressive method to remove the spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

You don't have to wash the car after each rain but you can't wait 2 weeks either. I wash mine 1x a week, I never do anything after it rains I dont get water spots because i dont leave it long enough I guess. You should at least be able to do a waterless wash before 2 weeks?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Cement has lime and other minerals in it. I would not let it sit, use the least aggressive method to remove the spots.
    Nothing is "sitting" as such, it's very light rain drop marks after I've washed it. After a read through several forums I'm thinking of trying some vinegar. Just a spray and wipe to see if it works. But this building work is going to last 4 months...so I've just got to hope for a dry or wet summer, but not both.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast