autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing Wolfgang Paint sealant from pad

I have tried and tried and well tried to the point where I feel like I should just throw away a crimson lake country pad. The wolfgang sealant is almost oil like and I can not for the life of me get it out of the pad. I have soaked it in McKee's 37 pad cleaner. Tried cold water, hot water and it is still in the pad. I can squeeze it and it comes out like a teenage kid popping a zit. Any ideas how to completely remove the product from the bad or should I just toss it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing Wolfgang Paint sealant from pad

Hi, welcome to AutoGeekOnline!

Yes it can be a bear to remove from the pad. Especially if it has cured in the pad. Another thing you can do is soak it in a hot water mix of the Polishing pad rejuvenator.
    McKee's 37 Polishing Pad Rejuvenator was created to provide detailers with a fast and effective way to clean pads without soapy residue or foamy

If that doesn't do the trick, stop by a paint shop and pick up a wax and grease remover. That should do it. If not a light duty paint thinner will.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same issue with menzerna powerlock. I took a little bucket with pad rejuvenator, added a little bit of APC and water. Usually I would leave it overnight, but this time I forgot about it for 3 days and I am glad I did. On the 3rd day you could tell that it was almost all off as the liquid in the bucket had changed color and there was barely any white residue on the pad (which was usually there before).

Maybe give that a try?

P.S. Don't toss the pad NO. Get whatever you can off and then use that pad for that sealant only in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

If you own a rotary the only way to remove is to put the pad on the rotary.set speed at 1000 and put the rotary on the ground and pad facing up and spinning.next is get a razor blade and a pair of pliers hold the blade with the pliers and etch the top of the pad removing all that crud.you want to apply blade in a clockwise position,just as the rotary spins and lay the razor on a angle.If you feel uncomfortable don't do it .

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slovette99 View Post
    I have tried and tried and well tried to the point where I feel like I should just throw away a crimson lake country pad. The wolfgang sealant is almost oil like and I can not for the life of me get it out of the pad. I have soaked it in McKee's 37 pad cleaner. Tried cold water, hot water and it is still in the pad. I can squeeze it and it comes out like a teenage kid popping a zit. Any ideas how to completely remove the product from the bad or should I just toss it?
    The fact that you can't remove it from the pad is a testament to just how robust this formula is.

Clean it the best you can, and then dedicate that pad to that particular product.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

paint thinner made with mineral spirits then wash out kerosene smell with any cleaner you want dry outside washes out my duragloss

Post Thanks / Like

You got the same answer from me as you did from Nick@Autogeek as well.

Clean it best you can and dedicate for that sealant and you will be perfectly fine.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I will try to soak it in a pad cleaning solution and if that doesn't work I will try a degreaser. I do like the idea of just using it for the sealant, However I am fairly new to machine polishing and I have been trying a lot of different products so I want to try and get it out. I was worried I may have just done something wrong. Slowly I will buy more pads for when things like this happen I can just dedicate it. I must say though the wolfgang sealant went on and come off perfect and really made the two cars I did look great. Again thanks for the help everyone!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately you can never get a sealant like WGDPS or Powerlock out of a pad completely. That's testament to the product itself.

Tip: When cleaning the pads - wear gloves!!! I cannot stress this enough. I did not once and I had hydrophic, slippery hands for a full day!! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

As others have mentioned, it won't come out completely. I use this: Wolfgang Pad Werks Polishing Pad Revitalizer. I'll let the pad soak in this for a day or two and remove as much sealant as I can from the pad and dedicate that pad to WGDGPS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast