autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product for cleaning Rims?

Hi,
    Is there any product strong like Sonax that I can dilulate it ?

Regards.

Post Thanks / Like

Malco brake off you could dilute it, it's strong stuff not for maintaince use. Do use on bare aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars D143 Nonacidic wheel and tire cleaner can be diluted to your cleaning needs and it works great. It does have a bit of a smell to it but I feel like that's to be expected from a wheel cleaner.

There is also Meguiars D140 Wheel Brightener but this cleaner is very strong and at least for me is a last resort. Proper protection must be used when using this cleaner, at least use chemical resistant gloves.

Post Thanks / Like

And something like change color and can be dilulate ? there is something like that ?

Regards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Sonax may be a little expensive but I dont think its bad for the wheels to use every time. Maybe go with an OTC product like Meguiar's All wheel cleaner (or the one specific to your wheel type) or the Eagle One A2Z wheel cleaner.

Also if your wheels arent very dirty each time just mist them with one or 2 sprays to conserve product.
    Megs over the counter Wheel products are expensive. Around here it's 12-14$ per bottle and it doesn't last that long. Wheel brightener is 16$ per gallon of concentrate and it makes 5 gallons of usable product. That is a a much better cost effective product. Of course it's not for uncoated wheels but those are really rare anyways.

Post Thanks / Like

A neutral bleeding type cleaner will not do any harm with regular use. The only real downside is the cost - so if that is not an issue, stick with it.

As others have already said, many dedicated wheel cleaners will be strongly acidic or alkaline. In truth, many will do little harm with regular use. If there is a warning about aluminium damage, the product is probably best not used routinely!

In my view, sealing a wheel is not sufficient to allow you to use only shampoo for your wheel cleaning. My experience is that such sealant/coating will decrease the level of soiling but it does not stop it occurring and does not actually make the bonded brake dust easier to remove. Yes, if it has not bonded well, it will come off easily but the same is true for an uncoated wheel. The major difference, in my view, is that you are less likely to do damage to the wheel surface when it is sealed (less friction means less abrasion and marring). For some level of example, we have a permanent ceramic coating on a set of test wheels. This is as permanent as it gets (it won't come off without taking the paint with it) but it will still bleeds after a wash with shampoo. If you leave it for a prolonged period before doing the wash - it will bleed heavily as the hot brake dust still managed to 'burn' its way in (despite the coating being resillient to - and in fact having been cured at - greater than 500C).

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I use flash brown royal, it works great for me. Its on the same level as sonax in terms of cleaning power but its actually economical and its non acidic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12