autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing on a dime

Quote Originally Posted by d33p View Post
    They are clearly both pink in color, you must be blinded!
    It's all pink is what you're saying LOL?
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I never cease to be amazed at what people get perturbed about on this forum.
    2008 Toyota Tacoma 410,000 miles and still going strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezriderga View Post
    I never cease to be amazed at what people get perturbed about on this forum.
    I never cease to be amazed at some of the things posted LOL!!!
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I apologize if anyone found my comments offensive, they were never meant to be. In retrospect, it appears that the two soaps (both from companies that I respect and have no desire to disparage) are not the same product. I retract that implication.

I still feel, however, that it is naive to believe that there are not products that are made by one company and then branded (as their own) by multiple others. Locally branded B&S pads come to mind. A different example of getting the same product for less is P21S wax. S100 wax seems to be the same product (please don't flame me if someone with more info proves me wrong) but is sold in motorcycle shops and costs less. It's a great value in my opinion.

Finally, even if the two pink soaps are not the same, they appear (to me) to occupy the same competitive space. One costs less than the other. Both come from great companies who make great products. Since there are plenty of persons on this forum who make a living detailing, I thought that it would be useful to share products that allow for excellent results for less money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rborge View Post
    I still feel, however, that it is naive to believe that there are not products that are made by one company and then branded (as their own) by multiple others.
    FWIW, this is common in the bicycle industry.

Post Thanks / Like

So I thought that it would be fascinating to detail 1/2 of a car with name brand products

and the other 1/2 with carefully chosen,
    inexpensive products.
    IMO...
    •You may have to be a little more specific
    in/for the products' descriptors:

-There are many "name brands" that don't cost
    "an arm and a leg".

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Detailing on a dime

My wife is a big fan of a section of her decorating magazine where the same room is decorated with brand-name products and then with similar, carefully chosen, off brands. Half of the page has the room with the expensive stuff and the other with the inexpensive stuff. Price tags and total price are displayed. Its amazing how much the two rooms look alike and equally amazing is the difference in total cost!

One thing I have observed is that frequently, two products from different companies appear identical, may be made in the same factory, and branded (and priced) differently. I recently purchased 3D Pink Car Soap and it made me wonder if CG Mr Pink was actually the same stuff, at twice the price! If they are not the same, one is copying the other and the difference (at least by my experience) negligible.

So I thought that it would be fascinating to detail 1/2 of a car with name brand products and the other 1/2 with carefully chosen, inexpensive products. A blinded expert could evaluate the results and see if they could tell which half was detailed with inexpensive vs. expensive products. Is anyone aware of threads that explore these issues? If not, is there any interest in performing this type of experiment...Mike would be the ideal judge of such a contest. Detailing academy vehicle?

This is going down a whole worm hole that nobody in the manufacturing business of these products is willing to go down. The bottom line is: you aren't privy to who makes what for whom. Nobody in the business will confirm or deny, "don't ask ....don't tell" - if you will.

Boutique style detailing products are sort of like wine, perfume, & jeans - the value isn't always objective. There are multiple factors that go into the enthusiast's detailing supply purchase - and price is just one of them.

So, most likely splitting a car down the middle and detailing each side with different products will only prove that nobody can tell the difference between the sides. It will not prove what the market is willing to pay for a specific product, what the user's experience is like, or who makes what. There are a lot of similar products - simply because they use similar ingredients; including colors & scents.

Back to the original post, it's pretty much accepted the CG's doesn't product "stuff" for 3D. There are tons of "pink soaps" on the market, and most of them are probably quite similar since they probably have like the same 5 ingredients in common.

Yes, some people have "issues" with CGs. And usually if it walks and quacks like a duck - it's a duck. Anyone have problems with Duragloss, Prima, Collinite, Dodo Juice, or (insert reputable company name here) - business practices or business ethics? No. You won't find a single post out of a zillion.

If your trying to get some detailing supplies together and not spend a ton of money; my advice to you would be to read and research here different products for different purposes and see what is commonly agreed on as good that doesn't cost a lot of money.

That being said, sometimes it's just worth the money to pay for the good stuff; or the product that is best for the job at hand. You can probably clay your car with some poster clay or some type of Pep Boys Nano Sponge - but if it jacks up your paint - you have only yourself to blame.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    You're accountable for your opinion when you post it publicly. Just trying to save you the headaches and legal bills.

I personally don't get all the hate for CG on this or other forums, they make a lot of good high quality products. Sure they push the marketing side, but it is what it is. There's probably 5 in this picture of mine I've kicked to the curb but I'm keeping those to myself. Pick and choose and show the love for the brands you like and pass on the negatives.

And Silk Shine is still my all time numero uno interior detailing favorite.

I recently changed jobs and now work for one of the largest Facility Supplies, maintenance and jan san chemical distributors in the country. Regarding msds sheets, that would be really sketchy if that's the case, your post deserves further investigation.
    I need to say that the cg products that I use sre fine but honestly their customer service lack a lot.
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DogRescuer View Post
    I need to say that the cg products that I use sre fine but honestly their customer service lack a lot.
    I bought some from them direct and had no issues, but most of the rest I have always bought through AG.
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Detailing on a dime

Wow, this thread went off topic. Back to the OP. I think that is a great idea. There are plenty of people out there that are willing to try and do basic detailing, but think you have to have all these expensive products.

Everyone has to start somewhere and with the right technique you could get good results with entry level products.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast