autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Sealants/Coatings in paint correction

Mr. Phillips,

First off thank you for your willingness to be a resource to those who want to take good care of their cars.

So I have a question which I cannot seem to find the answer in the forum but I may have missed it.

My understanding of coatings - CQuartz and others - is that they VERY strong products which basically adhere semi-permanently to the paint surface. In the case of paint correction my understanding is you need to strip the paint of all surface contaminants to ensure your DA is working directly on the paint. So my question is when you are repairing swirls/scratches on a car with a coating on it - when clayed - it is still 'naked' paint correct? You would then have to reapply the coating to the car - at least in the areas that were clayed.

If claying can remove the coating just as easily a sealant or wax then I am wondering the benefits around coatings.

Now don't get me wrong I am not suggesting there is NO benefit to coatings or sealants for that matter. I guess I just get the impression from those who have gone through that heavy prep/cure process that the higher end coatings require - that their paint is some how inpermeable of sorts and the paint shouldn't be at risk of getting swirls/etc.

Do I have the wrong impression of these coatings or am I missing a step in this equation?

Thanks in advance.
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealants/Coatings in paint correction

Claying won't remove the coating, abrading with a polish will remove the coating. Think of coatings as semi-perm layer of clear coat...

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so claying is still removing contaminants - just off the coating prior to paint correction. The coating is what contains the swirls then?

Post Thanks / Like

Claying will remove surface contaminants from the clear coat. At this point, if you see swirls, then the answer is yes they're in the clear coat. Next you would perform paint correction to remove swirls - compound/polish - upon completion of swirl removal you can apply paint coatings (Cquartz, PBL, Glosscoat etc). This will add another layer of protection over the top of your clear coat...

Post Thanks / Like

OK I think I have it - thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Your welcome! it can get overwhelming and confusing at the same time...

Post Thanks / Like

What I've noticed is that the new swirls that showed up in my car (DD so it gained them fast) were in the clear coat. IMO you'd have to have super vision to spot swirls in the coating put down. While it is a "measurable" layer, I think one would need a paint micro to see it (maybe). Obviously if it's swirled in the clear then it's through the coating also...sadly.

How fast did your swirls show up in a manner that bothers your detailer's itch after coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Odisious View Post
    What I've noticed is that the new swirls that showed up in my car (DD so it gained them fast) were in the clear coat. IMO you'd have to have super vision to spot swirls in the coating put down. While it is a "measurable" layer, I think one would need a paint micro to see it (maybe). Obviously if it's swirled in the clear then it's through the coating also...sadly.

How fast did your swirls show up in a manner that bothers your detailer's itch after coating?
    I agree with you, one would hope the swirls are in the coating not the clear coat but impossible for us to truly know. My GT is my DD so what super fine swirls I see I can live with for now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 281 View Post
    I agree with you, one would hope the swirls are in the coating not the clear coat but impossible for us to truly know. My GT is my DD so what super fine swirls I see I can live with for now
    Did you notice the coating slowing down accumulated swirls?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but I'd also factor in my wash/cleaning technique...imho coatings are the way to go for a DD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast