autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Detail shop use foul smell water to "steam" wash my seats... how to deal with it? so worked up about this...

I went to a detail shop for a car wash few days ago, and they reeled me in the so-called "steam cleaning" package.

I saw there was no steam at all. Just a vacuum machine that spray some water on the cloth seats, back of the seats, trunk mats(basically the whole interior) , and then suck the water out.The water they sprayed had kind of sour and foul smell, and the water was not even hot. (Because they sprayed some on the panel, I smelled it, and it's bad)

My car is 1 year old only, and the seats are all-new and doesn't smell at all. But after the work is done, the car is musty like rotten egg(not that strong but it does smell like that)

Then I called the store manager to investigate in this. Here's what he said: "Because I was asking not to use any detergent for the steaming(yes I did, because I think my car is new and I have kids in car everyday and dont want it to have any chemical), the staff use a back-up extractor to clean my car, he filled in tap water in the machine, but the water did smell a little foul and sour after sprayed out, maybe it's because the machine haven't been use that much and the pipe is not clean or damp that caused this."

and at the end, he offered me $500 compensation for this.

What I would like to know is, if you have any idea, what is causing the water foul? Could it just be because of damp? or could it be something else as some dirty stuff from the previous cleaning?

And how can I make the smell and the potential contamination go away? Would the contamination stunk in the seats and cuase it to mold over time? What detail service do I need?

I am those super germophobe kind of guy who wipes my phone everyday before I go to bed... So i am very worked up about this...

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detail shop use foul smell water to "steam" wash my seats... how to deal with it? so worked up about this...

Try some odoban

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detail shop use foul smell water to "steam" wash my seats... how to deal with it? so worked up about this...

Generate an agreement with the store manager that he will cover the costs to bring the car's interior odor back to it's original condition - and that you plan on using a more experienced detailer with interiors.

Get this in writing; even if you fill it out on paper and he signs it. If the manager refuses to sign the piece of paper then your next step is clear - you inform him that you are filing a claim with your insurance carrier. This is considered "damage" to the vehicle and covered under comprehensive insurance.

If it were me I would have little patience to this. We turn one way or the other - no negotiation. The detergent excuse simply tells you that the manager has no clue about the root cause - which damages credibility to see something through like a repair and reimbursement. The best case scenario whether you use insurance or not is that there is no out of pocket costs to yourself or your carrier. Typically you have 48-hours to report such "damage" but state laws vary.

Bring it to a real detailer and get a price quote. Either way you should get this done right with no worries whatsoever in the future.

The foul water is most likely poor cleaning methods used by the shop as well as foul water in their pipes. Some shops recycle water and over time if they do no flush their systems on a regular basis this will happen as well.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    Generate an agreement with the store manager that he will cover the costs to bring the car's interior odor back to it's original condition - and that you plan on using a more experienced detailer with interiors.

Get this in writing; even if you fill it out on paper and he signs it. If the manager refuses to sign the piece of paper then your next step is clear - you inform him that you are filing a claim with your insurance carrier. This is considered "damage" to the vehicle and covered under comprehensive insurance.

If it were me I would have little patience to this. We turn one way or the other - no negotiation. The detergent excuse simply tells you that the manager has no clue about the root cause - which damages credibility to see something through like a repair and reimbursement. The best case scenario whether you use insurance or not is that there is no out of pocket costs to yourself or your carrier. Typically you have 48-hours to report such "damage" but state laws vary.

Bring it to a real detailer and get a price quote. Either way you should get this done right with no worries whatsoever in the future.

The foul water is most likely poor cleaning methods used by the shop as well as foul water in their pipes. Some shops recycle water and over time if they do no flush their systems on a regular basis this will happen as well.
    Thank you so much for your reply.

I live in Toronto, Canada. I am not sure about claiming the insurance for this damage though.. Even if it works, all they are going to do is cover the cost of cleaning, right?(although I really want to replace the seats, sounds crazy...)

What I am concerned about is not the odor itself, it's actually the substance that cause the smell.. and futhermore the potential substance(Chemicals or other toxic stuff) that doesn't really smell.. I don't just want the odor to go away or just cover it with perfume that just hiding the real issue...

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I'm in Mississauga.
    Maybe I can help.

This could definitely be a case bad, reused and recycled water.
    I do have some odorbombs and a steamcleaner (a small one though) that we could try. PM me if need be.

Toxix Detailing | Eat | Sleep | Detail

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toxix View Post
    Hey, I'm in Mississauga.
    Maybe I can help.

This could definitely be a case bad, reused and recycled water.
    I do have some odorbombs and a steamcleaner (a small one though) that we could try. PM me if need be.

Toxix Detailing | Eat | Sleep | Detail
    Where is your shop?

I would like to know if they really have to use reused or recycled water? Water is not that expensive eh? = = you make me so worked up