autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Do paint safe bike racks exist?

I don't have a car which has the mount under the rear bumper and am not going to pay to get one. It may be a stupid question, but are the bike racks that mount to your trunk or are otherwise independent of already having something specific on your car (like the hitch mount) that I can purchase? I'd hate to go mountain biking and have to put a muddy bike in the trunk.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do paint safe bike racks exist?

I am not understanding what you're asking specifically. Maybe you're missing a word somewhere that would clear things up. If it helps any, I picked up a Yakima KingJoe Pro off Craigslist for a great price and I was asking the guy about the foam pads scratching the paint. He said some people just put a MF towel under them to be on the safe side. It never would have crossed my mind but that's what I opted to go with. Hit the area with some QD for a clean surface and fold up a small MF. It's my DD so I'm not going to have an ulcer if the sun's rays hit the paint but I also don't want to neglect it.
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a saris rack on the car. I washed and waxed the car before I put it on. I also cleaned the foam pads. Didn't ues mf towel. Left one tiny mark but I was able to polish it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post
    I don't have a car which has the mount under the rear bumper and am not going to pay to get one. It may be a stupid question, but are the bike racks that mount to your trunk or are otherwise independent of already having something specific on your car (like the hitch mount) that I can purchase? I'd hate to go mountain biking and have to put a muddy bike in the trunk.
    for a hundred dollars, you can buy and install the rear trailer hitch needed to attach a hitch mounted bike rack to your tsx (you do have a tsx right?).

they will run around a hundred on a certain amazonian website. and then you can have your pick from any hitch mounted bike racks that will fit your need.

i wouldn't deal with racks or bras or anything that sit on paint. no matter what you do, they will eventually leave marks.

Post Thanks / Like

Rear hitch is the way to go. And then if your like me your also worried about the paint on your bike. 1up USA is the best bike rack available IMO. The rack only grasp the tires so it will never scratch your bike up. I really like mine, so fast and easy to load.

Post Thanks / Like

I think rear hitch is the only way to keep from damaging the paint or the weather stripping in the doors. You have to think that the car was not designed for the rack, the opposite, so something has to give.

I had a roof rack on my IS300 and it ate the weather stripping at the windows.

The Saris racks will scuff the trunk lids as well.

HUMP

Post Thanks / Like

Damn, that's what I figured. I appreciate you guys' feedback. Guess I'll have to save up to get a hitch installed.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Installing a hitch is very easy on most cars. Check out etrailer dot com they have great instructions and videos.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you should look into a seasucker mount. I don't have any experience with them myself but they seem to fit your needs.

They just use a commercial grade suction cup to mount a rack just about anywhere on the exterior of your car.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah.... I'd be putting a hitch on.
    No matter what type of bike rack you try (that clips to the edge of the trunk, roof, etc.) with ANY pad that rides on the paint you're going to have scratches to deal with.

Might as well just strap the bike to the roof.

Trailer hitch-es R US sounds like your next stop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast