autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Glaze before applying KSG

So I am not completely new to detailing however, I applied meguiars #7 mirror glaze prior to 3 coats of ksg. Now recently I read that ksg cannot properly sit on top of the glaze because of the oils in the product. Am I completely screwed here? Or will I be ok? Like I said I placed 3 coats of ksg down and planned on finishing that with p21s tomorrow morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glaze before applying KSG

If it's already there, wait it out and see. No need to remove it and restart.

If you apply enough coats of KSG, it will fill as well.

I know I've seen pics and a thread where layers of KSG were applied to some hefty clear coat scratches and by the 6th coat, they were basically leveled. For the life of me, I can't seem to find it...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you think 3 coats is enough?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the first time I have ever used the meguiars #7 and wasn't aware that it shouldnt be put down before the ksg so any other help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

3 coats of KSG is great from a looks standpoint, provided you gave it time to cure in between coats.

The #7 is a true glaze with no protection ability at all. If you feel it enhanced the looks of the vehicle, you'll want to put something else over it to keep it there.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aim4squirrels View Post
    3 coats of KSG is great from a looks standpoint, provided you gave it time to cure in between coats.

The #7 is a true glaze with no protection ability at all. If you feel it enhanced the looks of the vehicle, you'll want to put something else over it to keep it there.
    No i used #7 prior to the ksg and I read somewhere else that ksg wont bond properly with the oils from #7

Post Thanks / Like

#7 is a really oily glaze compared to others on the market, and based on Mike's usage of it here in demonstrations I think it has a pretty specialized place in the market.

I've always used KSG with the understanding it needs a pretty clean surface in order to work at full potential. That is why Klasse recommends using their AIO product first to remove oils and waxes from the paint. Worst case in your situation may be reduced durability from the KSG.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I agree about waiting it out, see how it goes but most of us agree, glazes are a "cheap fix", like when someone is selling their car for instance, atleast that's how I see it.

Maybe wait it out and then in the spring, when you do your winter clean-up, do a good wash, paint decontamination and machine polishing and then layer the KSG, leaving the normal 12 cure time inbetween. IMO applying 3 coats is fine, its so easy to use, why not and besides, its not like you use a lot of product

Btw OP, what is your techique for applying KSG?

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I agree about waiting it out, see how it goes but most of us agree, glazes are a "cheap fix", like when someone is selling their car for instance, atleast that's how I see it.

Maybe wait it out and then in the spring, when you do your winter clean-up, do a good wash, paint decontamination and machine polishing and then layer the KSG, leaving the normal 12 cure time inbetween. IMO applying 3 coats is fine, its so easy to use, why not and besides, its not like you use a lot of product

Btw OP, what is your techique for applying KSG?

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2
    I appl ksg by hand with a mf pad. I usually will do an s pattern and cross back, then finish with straight line pattern depending on the pannel of the car for which way I go. After letting it dry for about 30 minutes I wipe off. Then after letting it cure for at least 12 hours, I go back with some zaino qd and remove any spots that may have been put on to thick. I do this as many times as I wish, this last time being 3 and then finish off with a good coat of p21s.

Post Thanks / Like

As others have noted, KSG has a reputation for being finicky and wanting a squeaky-clean surface. Do you have KAIO? It sounds like you have some Zaino products, you might be able to use ZAIO in a pinch (have to see how the KSG lays out on top of that). Of course a good coating prep polish like any of the Optimum polishes, DP or PBL prep, or Squeaky Clean would work great.

Meg's #7 is a product developed decades and decades ago for lacquer paints and IMO has limited utility for current clearcoat systems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast