autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do all of my tire dressings streak? Problem with bonding

Hello geeks....this problem is seriously starting to bother me and making me give up on detailing. Dressing tires is my favorite part of the detailing process but it never works out for me! I've tried different tire cleaning brushes, APC'S, degreasers, applicators and dressings but I notice that on smooth tires for SUV'S or trucks none of the dressings want to bond. I clean the tires with La's totally awesome (1:1) and scrub with a hard bristle brush. After the tire is dried, I apply (opti-bond/ CG vrp/ CG new car high shine) with either a paint brush or sponge applicator pads and it comes out streaky or not wanting to bond at all. The pictures below will demonstrate. The first two is CG vrp the third one is opti-bond (didn't bond at all) and the last two are CG new car high shine, which Is the only one that worked out alright but its uneven. Any thoughts of why this happens? Could it be the tires? Because on cars with low profile tires it always works.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AG Online
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why do all of my tire dressings streak? Problem with bonding-uploadfromtaptalk1412210337226-jpg   Why do all of my tire dressings streak? Problem with bonding-uploadfromtaptalk1412210358374-jpg   Why do all of my tire dressings streak? Problem with bonding-uploadfromtaptalk1412210398810-jpg   Why do all of my tire dressings streak? Problem with bonding-uploadfromtaptalk1412210410327-jpg   Why do all of my tire dressings streak? Problem with bonding-uploadfromtaptalk1412210441921-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why do all of my tire dressings streak? Problem with bonding

Some tires just don't take well to dressings, as you have discovered. I like CarPro Perl 1:1 but I have seen it streak still on hard compound smooth tires like you have. I think your best bet would be Black Pearl tire coating. It seems pricey but it truly does last.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you just buy the vehicle/tires, and or use any kind of solvent based dressing???, though regime is great it looks as if its excess un-soaked product, and or needs to be wipe very gently with a general purpose microfiber towel therefore my suggestion would be to use the smallest dot of product next time go around the tire once let it dry for 5 to 10 mins then wipe any excess gently, and if you want to add touch ups then do so but let it dry then wipe once more also look into carpro pearl or meguiuars d101 or even zep citrus apc found locally

Post Thanks / Like

So it might be that I applied too much?

Post Thanks / Like

It could be that or if the problem still continues then Nth Degree suggestion may be more beneficial

Post Thanks / Like

You mentioned that the tire dressings may
    be having a problem with "bonding".

First try cleaning the tires with some:
    TUF SHINE Tire Cleaner

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I still don't get it. You guys have any suggestions? Or ideas

Post Thanks / Like

You mean the dressing still smeared/didn't stick to your tires

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

first, lose the paintbrush, get a dedicated tire dressing applicator. I have always used straight up liquid tire dressing, no dilution, no fancy gels, just plain old oily, greasy tire dressing. I use a product called Hypershine, its actually the product that Meguiars copied their Hypershine from, its a brand most are unfamiliar with but one of the leading nationwide pro brands that has been around for 50+ years. same color, grape scent. works great for tires. I also use LA's totally awesome straight out of the bottle and get better result than anything, I have tried it all, and its super cheap to boot. there are so many different types of tires out there, you cant compare any one to any other. some tires can be misted with a dressing and look great, other can be applied 5 times and never be shiny. did an F150 today and no matter what I did, could get the outside edge of the tire to hold a shine. most of the time this happens with tires that are old and worn. newer tires generally take dressing much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miad View Post
    first, lose the paintbrush, get a dedicated tire dressing applicator. I have always used straight up liquid tire dressing, no dilution, no fancy gels, just plain old oily, greasy tire dressing. I use a product called Hypershine, its actually the product that Meguiars copied their Hypershine from, its a brand most are unfamiliar with but one of the leading nationwide pro brands that has been around for 50+ years. same color, grape scent. works great for tires. I also use LA's totally awesome straight out of the bottle and get better result than anything, I have tried it all, and its super cheap to boot. there are so many different types of tires out there, you cant compare any one to any other. some tires can be misted with a dressing and look great, other can be applied 5 times and never be shiny. did an F150 today and no matter what I did, could get the outside edge of the tire to hold a shine. most of the time this happens with tires that are old and worn. newer tires generally take dressing much better.
    Makes sense. Even with the most oily dressings, worn out tires don't let them bond.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast