autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Armor All ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Armor All ?

none of those products are bad

people just don't like em from the bad rep they had years ago when they were using silicone based dressings

but I know several people who use em on the boards since it's so easy to buy
    Want more customers for your detailing business?
    Find out how: www.detailsummit.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I thought about applying to be a rep for Zep. We get some of our chemicals for the car wash from them. I owned a car wash for six months (opened in dec, and the winter put me out of business..) and came across those Turtle Wax products. They're intended for drive through, tunnel car washes.

Their Premium Grade Rubbing and Polishing compounds are pretty good. Nowhere near as nice as the Ultimate line, but will give decent results. I've had decent luck with the Ice Paste in the past..
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkeruss View Post
    I did not know those lines existed. However, from what I gather, those product lines are not aimed at detailing professionals, but commercial automated car wash operations.
    I would say that the owners/operators of commercial/production: Detail Centers...are Professionals, in their own right and accord.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    I would say that the owners/operators of commercial/production: Detail Centers...are Professionals, in their own right and accord.
    Of course, just as an owner/operator of a McDonald's is a professional restauranteur.

Let's put it this way: no one here wants to use a tunnel wash, not if they can help it. As such, no one here is interested in using the products aimed at professional automated car wash operations, even if those products were good. If we want to get deep, it's the same problem China has; the perception is that China makes inferior products. USA = superior, China = shoddy. But the truth is neither has quality locked up one way or the other. You can only judge things on a case-by-case basis.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course, just as an owner/operator of a McDonald's is a professional restauranteur.

Let's put it this way: no one here wants to use a tunnel wash, not if they can help it. As such, no one here is interested in using the products aimed at professional automated car wash operations, even if those products were good. If we want to get deep, it's the same problem China has; the perception is that China makes inferior products. USA = superior, China = shoddy. But the truth is neither has quality locked up one way or the other. You can only judge things on a case-by-case basis.
    It's heartbreaking seeing people with Bentleys, Porches, Jaguars, etc come in and get brutalized by the wash. If I had a shop, I'd probably be able to get some correction work. I've had a dozen or so people inquire, but I always turn it down because I have no where to perform the job. I did take three jobs though. One was an Audi A7 last fall, and one guy had me do his Mercedes, and Corvette a couple years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

If we want to get deep, it's the same problem China has; the perception is that China makes inferior products. USA = superior, China = shoddy.

But the truth is neither has quality locked up one way or the other. You can only judge things on a case-by-case basis.
    Thanks...That's my point/analogy:
    There's more than one way to define a Professional Detailer.

Let's put it this way: no one here wants to use a tunnel wash, not if they can help it.
    •Not all Detail Centers are tunnel washes.
    •The self-serve Detail Centers...that so many AGO members use for whatever their vehicles' needs call for...also use the same, or similar, Professional products as being currently discussed.

As such, no one here is interested in using the products aimed at professional automated car wash operations, even if those products were good.
    IMO (2ea.):
    •That's just your opinion.
    •You'd be very surprised at: From where many detailing products, "for all walks in-the-detailing-life", are derived.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

•That's just your opinion.
    Of course it is. Let me amend; from "no one" to "few here." At least that is my perception. ;-)

•You'd be very surprised at: From where many detailing products, "for all walks in-the-detailing-life", are derived.
    I'm not entirely sure what you are saying (but I have a suspicion). Care to expand?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an easy solution to this i'm sure everyone has heard here....Use What You Like!

Personally I LOVE Armor All Wax-it-Dry (discontinued). Easy application, great beading and slickness, lasts for several weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

while i wouldn't use the AA on the interior (not saying it would do any damage) the original AA tire foam and tire shine gel work well for wheel wells and tires...

Post Thanks / Like

Bob
    The definition of a professional is a person who gets paid for what they do.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lilsullivan04 View Post
    I don't use this stuff at all but I am curious to know why is Armor All bad?
    I don't use OTC stuff for the most part. I try to get stuff where the folks at the company are known accessible dudes, and the have sort of a passion / strong interest in the products.... I'm excluding Meg's & Mothers from "OTC" here - as they are the real deal. I'm talking about the Armor All & Turtle Wax stuff.

That way (I feel) I'm getting a very good product that someone has made their labor of love. Not something Fred from accounting said: "Err.. we could probably sell a lot of that..."

Some examples:

- PBMG (M Phillips / Max & the gang)

- Optimum (Dr G / Chris T)

- Poor Boys (Pockets & Steve)

- CarPro (Corey & Avi)

In the scheme of things, most detailing stuff is pretty cheap, so I just buy the good stuff. As my time is valuable to me, so if I'm going to spend my valuable time doing something to a car, I want products I know are top notch. I'm not worried about saving a few bucks here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast