autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Clearcoat failure?

This area first appeared immediately after correcting the paint with microfiber pads. When I first noticed the trouble area, it was about a third of the size. Some adhesive-like residue formed when I rubbed it with my finger. I did an extra Isopropyl Alcohol wipe down, reclayed, and made another pass with the polishes. Didn't help. After a week, I wetsanded the area with 3000 grit. I didn't get any blue paint transfer when I wetsanded.

This is on the trunk of a 2010 Jaguar XF that has been extremely well maintained. I did find another area near the right fender that is exhibiting the same effect. I have tried every trick I know but fear this will require a complete repainting of the trunk. No previous paintwork or wetsanding had been done on the trunk.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clearcoat failure?-image-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clearcoat failure?

Looks like CC failure but this fast.... man that's extreme. A close-up pic of those edges would confirm it. Do you have a chip in the paint anywhere within this damage?

Post Thanks / Like

To me it looks as if you may have worn through the clear when you used the microfiber pads. Wet sanding appears to have exasperated the situation making the breached clear coat area grow in size. The only way to fix this is to repaint the panel or area...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    To me it looks as if you may have worn through the clear when you used the microfiber pads. Wet sanding appears to have exasperated the situation making the breached clear coat area grow in size. The only way to fix this is to repaint the panel or area...
    I thought it was near impossible to go through clear with a Porter Cable. The area had already grown before I tried wetsanding. What is throwing me is that I didn't get any blue on the sandpaper when I sanded. In the end, however, I think repaint is the only fix.

Post Thanks / Like

Paint transfer is not always the case. Sometimes you can burn through and it wont show color.

Post Thanks / Like

Excessive heat was probably the enemy.
    De-lamination became the occurrence.
    A re-spray is the solution.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detailing Jedi View Post
    I thought it was near impossible to go through clear with a Porter Cable. The area had already grown before I tried wetsanding. What is throwing me is that I didn't get any blue on the sandpaper when I sanded. In the end, however, I think repaint is the only fix.
    Today's paint is scarey thin and while it's fairly robust, abrasive compounds will sand through it rather quickly, even with the Porter Cable 7424xp, if left in one place for a long period of time.

To illustrate this lets put this in perspective by comparing a known and relate it to microns. On average, a human hair is about 100 microns or 100µm.

1µ = 0.00003937in
    10µ = 0.0003937in
    100µ = 0.003937in

Now that we know how think a human hair is, see how it compares to the paint film thickness on most cars today....It's thicker than any individual coating applied and might be equal to all of the coating thicknesses combined!

Paint Application

Automotive paint is applied in layers and each one is designed to to work with out bond to the previous later. Today protective coating and paint layers can total 5 or more and at varying thicknesses. The photo below illustrates not only the coating but the average film thickness....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    Looks like CC failure but this fast.... man that's extreme. A close-up pic of those edges would confirm it. Do you have a chip in the paint anywhere within this damage?
    I couldn't find a chip. Here are some close up pics. The original blemish started on the left side and spread predominantly to the right.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Close up of right edge Pic 2

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Close up pic 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast