autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Restoring inside headlamp casing

Hi -

I'm new to the forum and looking for some tips on restoring inside the plastic headlamp assembly. I opened the assembly to blackout the chrome; one came out perfect and the other began to accumulate moisture shortly after the install.

When I reopened the headlamp, I must have cleaned the inside of the lens casing incorrectly because I noticed multiple heavy scratches. I tried wetsanding with 1500, then 2000 then 2500, and used Meg's Plastix to polish and also applied Meg's Headlight protectant. The scratches were vastly improved, but I still noticed some haze. However, this is my daily driver and the haze seemed minor enough that I reseated the light and installed back on the vehicle.

Today I noticed the headlamp is fogging up again, and accrued condensation both in the day's humidity and during a thunderstorm later. I'm certain I didn't properly reseal, and have ordered the 3m rubber tape (which seems to have rave reviews) but while I have the light off again, I'd like to take another crack at fixing the haze.

Any suggestions? I polished/wet sanded previously by hand. I was thinking about trying the headlamp powerball from Mothers this time. If it only haze now, do I need to wetsand again, or just polish more aggressively?

Sorry for the long post, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Restoring inside headlamp casing

Can't comment on the on inside correction but whatever can be used on exterior should would inside.

As far as sealing. Go to lowes/HD ect. and get a clear sealant called Lexol and use that to seal them up. It should be $8-$14 a tube. Use a caulk gun to apply. You will not have any problems with it.
    Detailing is a way of life, not a hobby!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoTaurus View Post
    Can't comment on the on inside correction but whatever can be used on exterior should would inside.

As far as sealing. Go to lowes/HD ect. and get a clear sealant called Lexol and use that to seal them up. It should be $8-$14 a tube. Use a caulk gun to apply. You will not have any problems with it.
    Thanks for the tip on the Lexol, would you recommend over the 3m rubber butynol tape?

Post Thanks / Like

I would use it by itself, sorry it is Lexel (Lexol is for leather). It is the best sealant I have seen. We used it in construction from roofing to windows. I have used it to seal aftermarket headlights without any problems.
    Detailing is a way of life, not a hobby!