autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: About DIY detailing of a 3 -yr OLD car

Okie. I can hire someone from detailing shop to do the work for me after his job. But I want to know, would one tube of Scratch X be enough for a full fledged SUV?

Post Thanks / Like
    If its your first time then probably not. Typically your first few times buffing you tend to use to much product. But one tube is enough in my opinion.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

These are the swirls I am talking about. Same question again, SwirlX or Scratch X
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails About DIY detailing of a 3 -yr OLD car-img_1767-jpg   About DIY detailing of a 3 -yr OLD car-img_1768-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SArao View Post
    These are the swirls I am talking about. Same question again, SwirlX or Scratch X
    The standard method for polishing is to do a test spot, starting with the least aggressive product. You want to polish as little as possible to achieve a smooth, defect-free finish, because modern paint finishes are very thin. Swirl X is less aggressive than Scratch X, so you would start with that. If it is able to remove the swirl marks with Swirl X in the test spot, then you can use it for the rest of the vehicle. If there are still defects, then you would use the more aggressive Scratch X...or beyond that, Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...test-spot.html

Post Thanks / Like

I used UC with the rotary buffer I have. Well, it did a good job, not what I was expecting.

It did remove the swirls, butnot completely. I had three hits on the same panel and it still show swirls. Plus, its not able to remove some not so deep scratches. I am a bit disappointed.

First pic the door I Compounded and the second I did not.

Post Thanks / Like

Try following with a finishing polish. Looks like hazing from the compound.

Post Thanks / Like

The second pic is of the door I did not compound. It need to be worked upon.

I have Ultimate Polish. I used it once, and it attracts a lot of dirt. Since I am planning to coat the paint with Cquartz, will I have to still use polish? Since it has oils.

Post Thanks / Like
    The second pic is of the door I did not compound. It need to be worked upon.

I have Ultimate Polish. I used it once, and it attracts a lot of dirt. Since I am planning to coat the paint with Cquartz, will I have to still use polish? Since it has oils.
    Whoops.

Maybe try a more aggressive pad. But, using a rotary proceed with caution. You will need to clean the panels with Eraser prior to applying CQ. You will only know if you need to use UP when you get the defects out UC and see how it finishes. UP is meant to be used to clean up marring from UC and leave a show car finish. No polish should be on the panel long enough to attract dirt, I'm not sure what is going on there.

Post Thanks / Like

I am more concerned about this marring. Its always been there. Compounding or not, its not makng any difference. What to do about this? Can Cquartz mark it or fill it?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I am confused. I had ordered Meg Scratch X 2.0 for the purpose of removing Swirl. But I read somewhere that Swirl X would be more than enough. Plus Swirl X Cheaper I guess. I have an SUV which I need to work on. I am not sure if one tube of Scatch X2 would be enough?
    Perhaps take a little more time looking at the how-to section of autogeek. There are a lot of issues with the process your considering using right now. The correct way of going about your detail is:

1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. IPA Wipe down
    4. Compound/polish - you'll need 4 pads at least
    5. 2 dozen high quality microfiber towels so you don't scratch your finish
    6. IPA wipe down again
    7. Apply wax OR sealant. You would not apply Opti-coat above blackfire etc. You can apply sealant then a wax, but then why would you use a sealant in the first place?

Also some points to consider. Have you researched on the proper way to care for the finish after you compound? For example, have you invested in the grit guards, microfibers and invested time to learn the correct process? Because if not, your going to compound(removing clear) and your going to mess up your finish and have to do it again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast