autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

removing vinyl dressing stain on clear plastic

Hello all. I did a bonehead thing about a week ago. I was doing a really quick interior clean and was using some Chemical Guys super shine dressing on the steering wheel. I usually use a foam pad or spray onto a MF to apply this but this time I just sprayed it directly onto the steering wheel. In doing this, I over-sprayed twice onto my clear plastic cover over the speedometer/tach ('13 Civic). It was getting dark out so I didn't notice the overspray until a day later when the sun hit it. Long story short, when I went to clean it off, it appears like it has become a ton of permanent little spots all over the panel. I've tried CG Superclean, Goof-off, window cleaner and dawn and nothing seems to budge it. It won't even scrape off. Does anyone have any suggestion of what I can do to remove it? I did some searches and wasn't able to find anything similar to this. Leave it to me! Thank-you.

Mike Phillips

Re: removing vinyl dressing stain on clear plastic

First, since this is your first post...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Quote Originally Posted by phosphene View Post

but this time I just sprayed it directly onto the steering wheel.

In doing this, I over-sprayed twice onto my clear plastic cover over the speedometer/tach ('13 Civic).

Yep... it's always best to apply interior cleaners and dressings directly onto the applicator pad or a microfiber towel and then apply to the surface versus spraying directly onto the surface as you've experienced you get overspray all over the place.

From your description, it sounds like something in the CG dressing has stained the plastic surface or possibly any factory coating on the plastic surface.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but most stories like this don't end well. Two problems,

1. The plastic surface is delicate and easily harmed.

2. Due to the location it's hard to work on.

when I went to clean it off, it appears like it has become a ton of permanent little spots all over the panel.

I've tried CG Superclean, Goof-off, window cleaner and dawn and nothing seems to budge it.

It won't even scrape off.
    More bad signs.

If the dots of product won't scrape off, that means whatever was in the dressing has likely had a chemical reaction with the surface of the plastic and dissolved and etched ONTO it. Now it is one with the plastic.

Since window cleaner and a dishwashing soap, (Dawn), had no effect, that's more bad news as the first thing I would have tried is a warm solution of soap water dabbed on with a clean, microfiber towel.

At this point I think you're down to one option to try and that is a plastic polish.

PlastX by Meguiar's is a true plastic polish with the ability to abrade plastic without leaving behind it's own scratch. You could try applying this with a clean soft foam applicator pad.

The below are plastic surface cleaners that you would basically wipe on and then wipe off and they work good to clean NON BONDED dirt of the surface but if these dot stains are resisting even scraping then these probably won't work.

Detailer's Plex-All

RaggTopp makes a plastic cleaner it might work.

303 Aerospace Protectant can be used on clear plastics to clean them.

In case nothing works I've machine polished gages before using foam pads on rotary buffers the deal though is if you can't remove the gage lens then you have to be able to get to it through the steering wheel openings, etc.

Not sure I helped?

Post Thanks / Like

You can try 1z deep plastic cleaner very good product or as Mike said plastx.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

While I'd rather have a less embarrassing first post, I really appreciate both of your fast and detailed responses!

I just placed an order for the PlastX, 303 and the 1z, hopefully I can put them to good use. Hard lesson learned.

Thanks Mike and Pureshine!

Mike Phillips

While I'd rather have a less embarrassing first post, I really appreciate both of your fast and detailed responses!

I just placed an order for the PlastX, 303 and the 1z, hopefully I can put them to good use. Hard lesson learned.

Thanks Mike and Pureshine!

No worries about the plastic overspray issues, life is all about learning.

Keep us updated....

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I tried all 3 products and was unable to get the stains/etching off of the plastic. One thing though is that the product said it was safe for plastic but I guess it just can't remain on it for an extended period. Lesson learned.

Post Thanks / Like

PlastX by Meguiar's will most likely solve this issue. I've used it more times than I can remember and have never been disappointed with the results...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Mike Phillips

Well I tried all 3 products and was unable to get the stains/etching off of the plastic. One thing though is that the product said it was safe for plastic but I guess it just can't remain on it for an extended period. Lesson learned.

This is what I was afraid of...

The only easy to work on plastic is the type called plexi-glass. It's a very soft plastic that was used predominantly in the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's.

Since then, newer types of plastic have been introduced with all kinds of cool features and benefits except one... the ability to "work" on them.

The trend is always making plastics harder and/or coated and these offer their own benefits it's just you can no longer work on them, or at least work on them easily.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

To replace the part that was oversprayed is $70 (plus labor) unless I do it myself but I'm not too keen on tearing apart a new car's dash.

Do you think since the Plastx didn't work that Detailer's Plex-All and the RaggTopp plastic cleaner probably won't?

And by the way, thank you Mike for welcoming me to the AG Forums.