autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I missed something, but I thought the OP was using a 3401 - not a rotary. I also thought he was having an issue clearing up the compound haze - not cutting. When I was talking about "old tech" CG's polishes - I wasn't talking about all of them or the "V line", but that 7xx stuff. The V Line is supposed to be the good stuff!

Why would you use SMAT on a finicky paint? My reason would be: get in - get out. Do only 2 or 3 passes to fix the marring left by the compound. You won't have to worry about breaking down the polish, or as much clear coat residue on the pad which can be another issue on finicky paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black Roof on Boss 302 Mustang Issues

What year Boss? If I am not mistaken: 2012's were painted roof, 2013 on up are vinyl.
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Just spoke with the owner of the car, it's a 2012. We verified it's painted black, so that issue is resolved. I tried a newer product (chemical guys V36) which I have had good luck finishing down with on softer paint with a hex-logic green or white pad (white being less aggressive) depending on the amount of defect removal required.

I feel the same way, I don't think a S.M.A.T. product on finicky black paint would be a good answer... Then again I have seen M205 used on super soft Subaru paint and finish down flawless...

Maybe I should try some menzerna 4000/4500 with a pad with no cut (black hex-logic)?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok...now maybe I missed something. I thought you said you were able to get the gloss back but the swirls were still there. Are these the swirls that were there or swirls your process was putting in the paint?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, I'd like to say I know how to help you on that one, but I don't use anything from CG, except their shampoos. I do know that their older stuff nobody seemed to like.

I also would stay away from anything SMAT on SS black, and most CC black paints. That darned stuff just ends up micromarring/hazing most every time. I tried to

One statement you said that concerns me though is this: "I had a lot of trouble leaving this guy with the two sections not being defect free after a major 5+ hour paint correction."

I can understand leaving the job not where you wanted it, if you didn't have anything that'd do it. But that may end up with the guy not wanting you to touch it again.
    We would have 5+ hours in the washing, decon, prep and taping, long before we ever picked up a buffer with a pad on it. Multi-step paint correction, even 2-step we'll spend 15~20~25 man hours on. Sometimes it's the time that gets it done, not the product.

Post Thanks / Like

I just did a black Porsche and used M205 with great success. I used a Porter Cable, however, so it may be a little different.
    I do not have any specific advice, but every time I go through the polishes/compounds that I believe are most appropriate only for them to not work I change my technique.
    This could mean more/less pressure than you are currently using, increased/decreased machine speed, working the polish/compound in differently (pressure/speed), or finishing the product differently.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Ok...now maybe I missed something. I thought you said you were able to get the gloss back but the swirls were still there. Are these the swirls that were there or swirls your process was putting in the paint?
    I am not quite sure. Thinking back on it maybe they were in the paint, and not caused by my polishing. Only thing is I hit the roof multiple times, each time switching to a less aggressive product and still had no luck. After compounding twice with a fairly aggressive product (first pass was with orange hex-logic, second with orange buff and shine microfiber cutting pad) I feel as though any deep swirls that were in the finish would have been taken out and then I could remove any compounding haze/swirls with the next steps...

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the time involved, the car was already stripped of any LSP, washed, and clayed before I got there. My plan was to do a 1-step polish on the car and then do whatever was necessary on the roof/spoiler, considering they were black. I applied Wolfgang Fuzion as a LSP. I had done a 2012 silver mustang the weekend before and did a 1-step on it with the same products and a less aggressive pad and had very good results, for this car I decided to use a pad with more cut on the paint (white portions).

I tried using a slower speed (3), moving very slowly and making sure the product had been worked through its life cycle as well. I am going to have to re-evaluate, and possibly use a very light polish with a pad with little/no cut on a porter cable and see what happens. Ever since I switched over to a flex I haven't needed a PC much, even on very soft paint, and I have done Porsche's before; additionally I own a Subaru so it's not the first time I have seen soft paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhoran89 View Post
    I am not quite sure. Thinking back on it maybe they were in the paint, and not caused by my polishing. Only thing is I hit the roof multiple times, each time switching to a less aggressive product and still had no luck. After compounding twice with a fairly aggressive product (first pass was with orange hex-logic, second with orange buff and shine microfiber cutting pad) I feel as though any deep swirls that were in the finish would have been taken out and then I could remove any compounding haze/swirls with the next steps...
    It seems like what you've done would leave more or a haze than actual swirls. Sounds like the paint is extremely hard or extremely soft. Have to figure out which.

I did my son's Hyundai Genesis coupe last week and I had to compound the roof three times with M101 to get the swirls out .

You said you went less aggressive and you got gloss back. That leaves me to believe it's extremely hard paint. Just my humble opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    It seems like what you've done would leave more or a haze than actual swirls. Sounds like the paint is extremely hard or extremely soft. Have to figure out which.

I did my son's Hyundai Genesis coupe last week and I had to compound the roof three times with M101 to get the swirls out .

You said you went less aggressive and you got gloss back. That leaves me to believe it's extremely hard paint. Just my humble opinion.
    Could well be extremely hard. The rest of the paint was, along with the two other new mustang's I have done. Maybe I will make another pass with a compound/cutting pad and then try to work down to a light polish like menzerna FF4000 or chemical guys V38 and see what happens. I was not worried about restoring gloss/removing haze after compounding, it's the swirls that worried me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast