autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A Foam Pad cleaner from Meguiar's you should try out

I know we all have searched for a good foam pad cleaner.

I use Lake Country CCS Pads, Hex Logic Pads, and a variety of foam hand applicator pads (Lake Country and cheap $1 throw-aways for waxing the wheels).

My current Foam Pad cleaner is Chemical Guys, XMT and Grit Guard Pad cleaner. I like CG better as it is not as harsh to the nose than the GG and XMT cleaner. The problem is that you have to order these products as they are not readily available in your local Auto-parts store. I ran out of all (such a noob) and wanted to clean my pads after working on my ride.

I decided to go to Walmart and see if they had any pad cleaner and as always no foam pad cleaner. HOWEVER, there was a cleaner for something we all have seen and I never thought about it when you see it. Since I wanted to clean my pads and did not want to wait for an order; I read the directions to the following Pad Cleaner:

It's made by Meguiar's and it is called the DynaCone Pad Cleaner. It does not say it is a foam pad cleaner, except specifically for the Dynacone foam pad. I am perplexed as to why it says it is specifically for the Dynacone only (their yellow foam cone wheel cleaner that is attached to a drill).

IMO a foam pad cleaner is a foam pad cleaner regardless if it is for a specific foam pad. Foam Pads are just it: FOAM! There is no difference in concept. Additionally, it was less than $5 so I took the massive $$ risk and bought 2 BOTTLES!

The directions says to clean the pad with the cleaner 1st, then saturate the pad with the foam cleaner and then soak the pads in warm water for 15 minutes. That was the only difference. Additionally, when you inhale, your nose does not hurt from chemicals being inhaled (something we all should not do anyways) like some other pad cleaners.

I tested 4 foam pads that I use as throw-aways. These pads are in way worse condition than my DA pads as they had old wheel wax, tire gel, and other crud; extremely dirty pads.

To my surprise 2 of the hand applicator pads were almost brand new! No gunk or wax on them (my $1 wheel wax yellow foam pads). The 2 tire foam pads (3" Griot's Blue Pads I use for tire gel) had most of the gunk gone! They were still black from the tire gel, however, the greasy feel was gone. I could re-use all of these pads!

I then tried the same procedure with my Lake Country 6.5" White CCS pad and it was like brand new IMO it cleaned better than CG, XMT and GG Pad cleaner!

I will no longer be buying any of the aforementioned pad cleaners. They cost more and I usually have to order them and that takes a 2 - 7 days to get them. Now I can just go to Walmart or your local auto-store and just get the Meguiar's Dynacone Foam Pad cleaner.

I would highly suggest you try it and see if it is better. Additionally, it is only $5 so if you do not like the product your out just $5.

AUTOGEEK Does sell the product too!! Just search under Meguiar's Dynacone

I hope this helps everyone that needs to clean Foam Pads

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Foam Pad cleaner from Meguiar's you should try out

WOW !!!
    This is good news. Thanks for your efforts and that " $$ leap of faith $$ ".
    In all seriousness, the price is definately worth it.

So the pads seem to become clean (or even cleaner ) but have you got around to using a pad after executing this cleaning method.

I was just wondering if there would be any "ill effects" on the pad and if it would perform normally as when the traditional method of cleaning is used.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by can2011 View Post

WOW !!!
    This is good news. Thanks for your efforts and that " $$ leap of faith $$ ".
    In all seriousness, the price is definately worth it.

So the pads seem to become clean (or even cleaner ) but have you got around to using a pad after executing this cleaning method.

I was just wondering if there would be any "ill effects" on the pad and if it would perform normally as when the traditional method of cleaning is used.

I would assume it will be fine. I checked them after they have dried and it "feels" fine. IMO it feels cleaner than with the other pad cleaners. I will probably try one of the pads here soon just to make sure. My guess it should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

agreed, this stuff works really well...

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, I may try this. How far does the 10 oz. bottle get you?
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    Cool, I may try this. How far does the 10 oz. bottle get you?

I do not know as I only cleaned 5 pads. There is still alot of pad cleaner left. Either way, at around $5 a pop instead of $8 - $12 a pop is a good thing.

I would assume it should be about the same as the other cleaners.

Post Thanks / Like

I really do like this stuff. I got the 4oz size in my Dynacone wheel kit but love using it on all types of foam pads. Gets the pads feeling very clean with a sort of new feeling that is restored.
    2014 Mercedes-Benz C250

Post Thanks / Like

Bought 3 bottles and tried it out yesterday on pads I already cleaned and they came out cleaner. Foams nicely and doesn't run either. My new go to pad cleaner!

Post Thanks / Like

Pad cleaning is a necessary evil unless you use a pad then throw it away....Which I do not.....

This is really good to know.

Here's a link directly to the product.... Meguiars DynaCone Pad Cleaner

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

If I didn't have a few bottles and a gallon of Chemical Guys Foam and Wool Pad Cleaner left I'd be on top of this.
    For the price you can't go wrong at all.
    Do they only sell it in a small size?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast