autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Precision Buffing with the Rupes TA50 - It doesn't get any better than this!

Precision Buffing with the Rupes TA50 - It doesn't get any better than this!

A few weeks ago we did an extreme makeover to a 24' Shearwater Center Console and when I say extreme makeover I really mean it. The oxidation on this boat was so severe PLUS the last guy that buffed it out butchered it with a rotary buffer and left the hull filled with holograms.

It was so bad that we machine wetsanded it using the Rupes Machine Sanding System.

We also put the Rupes TA50 to the test to buff off heavy oxidation in small, intricate tight areas that no other polisher can safely get into without causing damage.

Everyone was blown away with how well this tool worked. It has all the POWER you guy dream about in a small compact tool. No one could get the pad to stall out of even slow down when cutting out the oxidation around the lettering on this boat. Not even when buffing on edge.

One word.... amazing.

Because the write-ups for these types of projects are like how-to books with over 100 pictures and reams of text describing how we did the work, cool new tools like this one can get buried in the write-up. So I've sliced out the pertinent portion to create a stand alone article to showcase this new Rupes tool.

My guess is this is the first demonstration of how to use this tool with Meguiar's Xtra Cut Microfiber Pads and a compound and polish on a boat, at least here in the U.S.A.

Here's the link to the full write-up for anyone that wants to learn how to wetsand, cut and buff a gel-coat boat.

How to wetsand, cut and buff a gel-coat boat

And here's the portion that shows the Rupes TA50 in action.

While a portion of our team was doing the sanding and compounding, some of the other guys were using the Rupes TA50 with microfiber cutting discs to remove the oxidation, stains and water spots around the lettering for the word Shearwater.

Question?
    How do you work in small, tight areas?

These graphics that spell out Shearwater are a soft form of plastic that feels like rubber.

If you run a FULL SIZE wool cutting pad on a rotary buffer over them you will harm them and even disfigure them.

Answer...
    The Rupes TA50 to the rescue! - I LOVE THIS TOOL!

I've been buffing out cars all my life and I've been waiting for a mini tool like this for doing intricate work and after using one time to remove oxidation I LOVE this tool

This is a must have tool if you buff a lot of cars and have an air compressor... check it out...

First we took a 6" Meguiar's DMX6 DA Microfiber Xtra Cut Disc and cut 2" discs out of it.

The discs fit onto the velcro hook material on the Rupes 2" backing plate.

Then using Marine 31 Final Step Polish I removed the oxidation around the bottom of the lettering...

Next by tilting the tool and working on edge I could get inside all the small areas of oxidized gel-coat inside and around the letters.

In the shots above the tool is actually running at full speed or wide-open but it looks like the pad is not spinning due the the camera settings and camera flash.

This tool never bogged down. It made quick work of doing some real painstaking polishing.

Here's Ozzy, a friend of Franks, this is the first time he's ever heard of this tool let alone used it...

Here's Robert DiTerrlizzi working like a surgeon with the Rupes TA50

Here's our friend John from India using the Rupes TA50 like a pro...

Rupes TA50 Mini Sander (used as a Mini Polisher)

Get one!

Rupes TA50 Mini Random Orbital Sander

Meguiars DMX6 DA Microfiber Xtra Cut Disc, 6 inches

Mike Phillips

Re: Precision Buffing with the Rupes TA50 - It doesn't get any better than this!

Here's what this boat probably looked like when it was brand new thanks to the Rupes TA50

And of course, the entire boat came out looking brand spanking new...

This is the flash off my camera, if you look closely you can see my outline in the hull... (barely)

Mike Phillips

Re: Precision Buffing with the Rupes TA50 - It doesn't get any better than this!

If you want to be a part of the next boat detailing project, shoot me an e-mail and I'll put you on my e-mail list.

mike.phillips@autogeek.net

For some of you this might mean getting plane tickets and flying in but there's really no other place where you get to use these types of tools to do these types of projects.

I do my best to get the date out as soon as I can...

Post Thanks / Like

I am very interested in that tool. There was word that it can't hold up to polishing. . .what's your take on this, Mike?

If it can hold up to polishing, I'd be interested. I'd say there's no car you couldn't polish out with this, combined with the Rupes 21 and the lhr75e.
    Jeremy Wayne

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by statusdetailing View Post

I am very interested in that tool. There was word that it can't hold up to polishing. . .what's your take on this, Mike?

The word is from the man himself, Marco D'Inca. Here's Marco at my Detailing Boot Camp Class last year, he had the chance to help us buff out this 1940 Chevy Street Rod.

As well as a number of other cars in the May 2013 Detailing Boot Camp Class.

What I've been told is the bearings were not designed for polishing but sanding. The difference would be the downward pressure over time.

With polishing you'll apply more downward pressure than with sanding.

Here's the other deal, most guys are NOT going to pay attention to the recommendations for this tool or the warning and will use it to polish paint.

Marco doesn't recommend installing a washer into his tools but a lot of guys go against that official recommendation so what's going to be different with this tool?

That's my take...

Quote Originally Posted by statusdetailing View Post

If it can hold up to polishing, I'd be interested. I'd say there's no car you couldn't polish out with this, combined with the Rupes 21 and the lhr75e.

One thing for sure, the world has been waiting for a 2" polisher like this ever since I started detailing cars. I really like it for sanding too.

So did the students in my class this last weekend when they had the chance to machine damp sand a 1963 Impala SS. I'll try to do a complete write-up for the 1963 Impala Wetsanding project but pictures take time.

Pictures: Detailing Classes at Autogeek - May 2014

The Rupes TA50 with #3000 Trizact being used to "Edge a Panel".

So what you've heard is correct. The Rupes TA50 is a tool designed for sanding not polishing.

I'll have more information on June 23rd.

Mike Phillips

Sometime this month we'll be really putting the Rupes TA50 to the test for both sanding and polishing when we machine damp sand the real deal....

Jay's new muscle car projects - Wetsand, cut and buff...

Stay tuned....

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think you could talk Max in giving a couple of them away for members to do a review on?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up, Mike. I was wondering if you have had the chance to work with the LD30. Trying to just to justify purchasing the TA50, but the LD30 is almost $150 cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice wright up, i plan in ordering one soon

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for the awesome write up Mike. I've always been interested in the Rupes tools and would love to work with em, but it's always the case of low/no funds lol.

I'm hoping in the next 12 months or so I can save up enough to fly out from Oz for one of your famous boot camps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast