autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Easiest wash process...can you wash without having to scrub?

Hey guys...

I'm new to the forum so I'm sorry if this is a repeat. I've been lurking on the internet for some time now and I haven't ever seen any posts addressing my challenge. I have two cars, a 2008 A6 and a 2014 FX-50 that I wash once a week and wax every month or two with a couple super full details 2-3 times a year. They're both in good shape, I use good stuff on them. I've been on a mission lately to find the ultimate wash process and I'm stumped. I've had some luck using a strong concentrate of my Meguiar's gold class wash applied with a pesticide sprayer followed by a rinse the hose but I'm still stuck with a two bucket wash and some light scrubbing. I tried using my pressure washer after the initial soap down as well and the dirt removal was still incomplete.

My goal is as good or better clean as a two bucket wash but in less time and with no scrubbing. I'm open to using the pressure washer so long as I don't have to scrub anything - and it's gotta be wax safe as well.

Today I picked up some Chemical Guys Mr. Pink for my two bucket wash and some Ultima Waterless Wash Concentrate for my sprayer thinking I'd give that a shot based on another post I read in the forum. I intend to try it with and without the pressure washer and then follow up with the two bucket wash if the removal is incomplete. I've also considered purchasing a a foam cannon/lance but all the reading I've done leads me to conclude that this is a fun/interesting way to get your car covered in soap but the actual cleaning won't get me any better than what I'm already doing.

I'm looking for opinions and suggestions. I'm not concerned about the cost or quantity of product I'm using, my main interest is speed and quality.

Thanks guys and happy detailing!

Shad

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to autogeek may I ask what is stuck to your paint, bird dropping, bugs, tar??? a more faster two bucket wash method is if your paint is not extremely dirty would be a rinse less wash this is where you place a highly lubricated product like ONR( optuimum no rinse) one bucket and clean water in other(both with grit guards) and wipe and dry one panel at a time with high quality microfiber towels(600gsm or better)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Easiest wash process...can you wash without having to scrub?

If you use a spray wax as a "drying aid" after you wash your car your paint will always be slick and when you wash once a week everything should come off with minimal effort. I would also suggest a good waterless wash between washes to get things like bugs, droppings, etc. off between washes. This will keep the paint clean and slick as well for those incidents.

This will set you up to do much easier and faster Rinseless Washes as James suggested above too.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the responses. My main problem is just road film, dust, and dirt. It's spring here in MN so the bugs are coming before too long though.

I do use a spray wax as a drying agent, Meguiars Spray Wax, though lately I've been using Dodo Juice Red Mist but it doesn't mix with water so well so I have to dry as nd then go back over it with the QD.

I hadn't thought about doing the rinseless as a two bucket, thanks for that tip. I'll try it. It doesn't get me to my goal of no scrubbing but it might save me some time.

Love to hear of anyone else with some thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shadowen2 View Post
    Thanks guys for the responses. My main problem is just road film, dust, and dirt. It's spring here in MN so the bugs are coming before too long though.

I do use a spray wax as a drying agent, Meguiars Spray Wax, though lately I've been using Dodo Juice Red Mist but it doesn't mix with water so well so I have to dry as nd then go back over it with the QD.

I hadn't thought about doing the rinseless as a two bucket, thanks for that tip. I'll try it. It doesn't get me to my goal of no scrubbing but it might save me some time.

Love to hear of anyone else with some thoughts.
    If you're scrubbing while doing a rinseless wash you're doing it wrong. It takes towel or mitts and single pass, no scrubbing.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

What have you been waxing or sealing the vehicle with?

Even in the darkest/dirtiest/saltiest days of this past winter when my black car turned white, I never had to "scrub" the road grime off. Either a simple wash or even a touchless wash would get the car pretty clean.

To me, it sounds like the wax you're using is wearing out quickly and the grime is sticking to the paint. I've used a couple of different products over the years and the only "scubbing" I've had to do was on bug splatter. Most grime washes right off with a pass of a good wash mit.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

To answer your question "Can you wash without having to scrub"..the answer is YES!

In the summer time especially, i use my foam gun or foam cannon, mix either Mr.Pink, Snowfoam, or Citrus Wash and Gloss and first rinse the car from any dust, then foam it, let it sit for a minute or so, and rinse off.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

There should never really be any scrubbing done on paint. Scrubbing = scratching. The whole point of washing is to use water and shampoo (or waterless/rinseless product) to suspend dirt so it can floated off the surface, or captured in a mitt through a light wiping action. If something doesn't come off by regular washing, something stronger like bug/tar remover needs to be employed, and/or clay should be used to remove bonded contamination.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try using a coating on your car. I never scrub my cars, not would I ever. I've never had the need to with them being coated. Makes cleaning effortless, and last much longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shadowen2 View Post
    My goal is as good or better clean as a two bucket wash but in less time and with no scrubbing. I'm open to using the pressure washer so long as I don't have to scrub anything - and it's gotta be wax safe as well.

Shad
    Hi Shad...

Road film, and other stuck-on contaminates, is so often a bugger to remove without some agitation (I'm sure that's what you mean instead of "scrubbing).

Sometimes you can presoak, foam, pressure-wash:
    'til kingdom comes...
    But you'll eventually have to use a wash-mitt, or other suitable "wash media"---the two bucket wash system---to remove some of those stuck-on contaminates.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast