autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie's plan of attack

You might have seen me post before that I recently got two new cars. I am wanting keep these cars in great condition so I've been here researching over the past week or so. My car was detailed at the dealership but I plan on stripping it off and starting fresh. My goal is to keep it fun and simple and as inexpensive (by inexpensive I don't mean cheap but these are not show cars so I don't want to spend an arm and a leg) as I can. I am hoping to not have to clay, polish and seal more than 2 to 4 times per year with this method. Here is what I plan to do after researching here and other forums and Youtube.

1. Wash car, clay car, polish car (my paint doesn't have scratches or swirl marks yet so I don't need anything aggressive here), seal car.

2. Use a waterless wash system once a week or as needed.

3. Detail spray mid-week or as needed.

4. Every couple of months give it a regular wash

5. Start this process over again at #1 every 3 to 6 months.

For the above steps I plan to use (please recommend different if you wish):

1. CG Citrus Wash and gloss, ??? for clay and polish, CG Extreme Top Coat for sealant.

2. CG ECO Smart RU waterless wash (please recommend some microfiber towels for this process)

3. CG Hybrid V7

4. CG Citrus Wash and gloss.

How does this process sound to you all?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie's plan of attack

Quote Originally Posted by jem7sk View Post
    You might have seen me post before that I recently got two new cars. I am wanting keep these cars in great condition so I've been here researching over the past week or so.
    My car was detailed at the dealership

I plan on stripping it off and starting fresh. My goal is to keep it fun and simple and as inexpensive (by inexpensive I don't mean cheap but these are not show cars so I don't want to spend an arm and a leg) as I can. I am hoping to not have to clay, polish and seal more than 2 to 4 times per year with this method. Here is what I plan to do after researching here and other forums and Youtube.

1. Wash car, clay car, polish car (my paint doesn't have scratches or swirl marks yet so I don't need anything aggressive here), seal car.

2. Use a waterless wash system once a week or as needed.

3. Detail spray mid-week or as needed.

4. Every couple of months give it a regular wash

5. Start this process over again at #1 every 3 to 6 months.

For the above steps I plan to use (please recommend different if you wish):

1. CG Citrus Wash and gloss, ??? for clay and polish, CG Extreme Top Coat for sealant.

2. CG ECO Smart RU waterless wash (please recommend some microfiber towels for this process)

3. CG Hybrid V7

4. CG Citrus Wash and gloss.

How does this process sound to you all?
    Everything looks fine. I would however get a differnt car wash other than the CG Wash and gloss. Something that is a little more mild for for a regular car wash. CG Maxi Suds II comes to mind since you seem to like the CG line.

I would get Optimum No Rinse as you can use that for a clay lube and use it as a rinseless wash. This can also be used as a detail spray as well.

The V7 makes a good detail spray that adds some gloss so if you wo keep that go ahead. I do find that it does not make for a good sealant so keep that in mind. If you want something that will last longer look at BlackFire Wet Diamond paint sealant or Collinite 845 (along with many others).

Do you have a machine and pads? if not what are you looking to get?

Do you have any polishes? If no what are you looking to get? The wolfgang Duo and the BlackFire DUu are great places to start.

Finally Here is a great article about http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-phillips.html
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

I do have a PC 7424 but no polishes now. I got the PC 7424 about 10 years ago when I had a Corvette. A guy that worked for autogeek back then named Scott sent me some free product and I bought the PC from autogeek along with some pads. He helped me on the Corvetteforum. My backing plate has rotted so I need another. Most of my pads are still in the plastic and never been opened. I am open to any polishes as long as easy to use and long lasting. It would be a benefit if it didn't stain plastic too. Thanks!

Glad I didn't pull the trigger on the CG order. I am open to other product than CG.. I just have watched a lot of their vids and am more familiar for that reason. I did get two CG wash bucket kits so I could do the rinseless instead of waterless.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good man. I've heard great things about the CG jet seal 109. I plan on getting it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I will get the Optimum No Rinse for now and use it since the paint is in decent shape while I continue to study more about the other processes involved. I think this should maintain my nice paint for a couple months while I do more research. Thanks for the recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up getting the Optimum no rinse for the wash and Pinnacle Waterless Wash BOGO to clean up messes between rinse less washes. I also got a couple dozen 16x16 microfiber towels. I should be set for now. To get the order to over the free shipping limit I ordered Detailer's PolyCoat Sealant with free Microfiber Towel that I am looking forward to trying out too. I also got a new backing plate for my PC7424 and will apply the Detailer's PolyCoat with that for some fun. Along with the six pack of Meguiar's Spray Bottles.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jem7sk View Post

I got the PC 7424 about 10 years ago when I had a Corvette.

You have a first generation PC...

The short how-to guide for using a DA Polisher
    How to maximize the ability of the 1st Generation Porter Cable Dual Action Polishers

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking the pads you have for the PC are 6.5"? When you order your BP, you should get a 5" BP and 5.5" pads. They will work better on that machine. This is crucial if you want to use the machine to remove defects.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    You have a first generation PC...

The short how-to guide for using a DA Polisher
    How to maximize the ability of the 1st Generation Porter Cable Dual Action Polishers

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I'm thinking the pads you have for the PC are 6.5"? When you order your BP, you should get a 5" BP and 5.5" pads. They will work better on that machine. This is crucial if you want to use the machine to remove defects.
    Good to know.. I had no idea there was a difference. Well after reading your article Mike I am glad I bought this earlier and not a larger BP. Just need to check my pads when I get home:

lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate

This explains why I couldn't remove swirls when I tried back nine years ago and gave up.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang.. just realized I forgot to put your book in my cart Mike. Had one of the bundles in there before on a different computer but forgot to put it back in. Have to wait until I get enough to order for free shipping or till I am down there in person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast