autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Headlight Restoration Q

Hi guys

I got a call this morning to go and do a set of headlights on Friday. Thank goodness I have a few days to research.

Restoring headlights is not an issue for me , I believe I have mastered the skill. The twist with this set of lights is that te damage is on the INSIDE of the light.

Seems like the headlight had drawn water in ( when I remove the light I'll check if it needs Silicone and or if the cap at the back is/was missing ). The light now looks brownish as if there was sand or dust that mixed with the water or condensation in the light.

I have done some research ( google searches ) but I couldn't find a definite sollution. Some people say use a liquid detergant used to do dishes , some say stay away as it'll leave streaks in the light. Somee say use methanol to rinse the light , but only 99.8% pure meth. Some say you should use luke water mixed with baby powder to eliminate the risk of streak marks.

I am not sure which way to turn. I am doing work for a VW dealership and this is for 1 of their clients. I CAN NOT cock up this one .....

Any help or advice sould be highly appreciated. Please note I am in SOUTH AFRICA so we don't have the same products and availability as some of the people locatted in other parts of the world.

Thanx in advance

From South Africa
    Creative Car Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration Q

My vote would be to have the customer buy a new headlight. Depending on what type of car it is, and what you might have to charge per hour, it might be around the same cost to the customer. Just a thought.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    My vote would be to have the customer buy a new headlight. Depending on what type of car it is, and what you might have to charge per hour, it might be around the same cost to the customer. Just a thought.
    Sorry maybe I should have explained that too. This is a comeback for VW so I am almost 100% sure they would not buy a new light for the customer !! The light has 2 screws then it comes off ( Polo 6R ) so no need to take the bumper off. I can have the light off in 5mins , to get it clean is my issue.

From South Africa
    Creative Car Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

I would consider buying a new aftermarket light out of my own pocket before I tried to restore the inside of the lens! Time is money!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deranged_9n3 View Post
    Sorry maybe I should have explained that too. This is a comeback for VW so I am almost 100% sure they would not buy a new light for the customer !! The light has 2 screws then it comes off ( Polo 6R ) so no need to take the bumper off. I can have the light off in 5mins , to get it clean is my issue.
    From what you are explaining there is a defect in the headlight assembly.

If the dealer says its a comeback for them then they should replace it.

Now if YOU go and and try to do something to it it's your baby now and in a few months you'll be replacing it out your pocket.

I would go and look at it and tell them sorry there is no fix it needs to be replaced.

Just my .02
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I'm pretty new to detailing in general, but my gut says try the methanol. Any cleaning using water would risk leaving moisture in the headlight when you seal it back up. I'm curious how this plays out, definitely keep us informed.

Sent by carrier pigeon using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dad07 View Post
    From what you are explaining there is a defect in the headlight assembly.

If the dealer says its a comeback for them then they should replace it.

Now if YOU go and and try to do something to it it's your baby now and in a few months you'll be replacing it out your pocket.

I would go and look at it and tell them sorry there is no fix it needs to be replaced.

Just my .02
    This is what I do. I tell them that I know my limitations and can only correct the outside of the lens.

In all the time I've spent on these forums I've never seen any definitive solution to this problem discussed in depth, though I see the problem come through my shop quite often. I'd like to see some real discussion on possible remedies.

Post Thanks / Like

This can go a few ways

1 - I can leave it and we'll never know what could have happened
    2 - I can cock up the light and have to buy a new one ( this is the worst thought for me )
    3 - I can try , and I can maybe get it fixed and we'll have a recipe that works

If we can restore the outside via sanding paper , I cant see why a little dust on the other side should hold us back.

I think the meth sollution sounds the best , but I can't come to think if the meth evaporates , where will the dust go then ??

And if the meth leaves streaks , I'm screwed.

From South Africa
    Creative Car Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

If this was me and i HAD to do it id wrap the headlight in a damp towel and put it in the oven to soften the adhesive. Once thats done the lense will seperate from the housing. After that id go at it just like i would if i were doing the exterior of the head lights then seal it back up. But that was if i HAD to. Personally i wouldnt do it because that would be a ton of work and it wouldnt be worth it.

Or on the flip side you can try to fix it but offer no guarantee. Maybe get a brush like a wheel brush but the smaller one. Spray some APC in the housing and let it sit for a little while. After 10 min take the wheel brush or some sort of long flexible brush and try working out the haze. rinse with water and allow to thoroughly dry over night.

One thing to consider though is if moisture and dirt are making its way into the housing that means its not entirely sealed and the headlight should be replaced any way or else the problem is just gonna come back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brondondolon View Post
    One thing to consider though is if moisture and dirt are making its way into the housing that means its not entirely sealed and the headlight should be replaced any way or else the problem is just gonna come back.
    Exactly, I don't know why you would be on the hook for a new headlight, when it was damaged to begin with.

I've done a little research now, my plan A would be to fill the headlight about 1/4 full with methanol, slosh it around & dump it. Repeat 3 times. Allow to dry thoroughly.

Personally, that's as far as I'd go, opening a headlight doesn't sound like a good idea. The best step by step how to I've found, the guy admits he destroyed 2 junkyard headlights before he worked out his system. I doubt any respectable dealer would want or expect you to open a headlight.

Sent by carrier pigeon using AG Online

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast