autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad the meth worked pretty good for you, sorry it didn't come out perfect... Could you share the method you used? Maybe we can work on improving it or thinking of something else.

Sent by carrier pigeon using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration Q

Quote Originally Posted by riles32807 View Post
    I'm glad the meth worked pretty good for you, sorry it didn't come out perfect... Could you share the method you used? Maybe we can work on improving it or thinking of something else.

Well I started by taking globes out and set them aside. I then blew out the light with compressed air. After this I filled the light with meth , about 1/4 full I would say. Popped the caps back on and shook it for a while. Drained the meth and repeated this another 3 times. Meaning 4 times in total. I then used compressed air again to blow it dry before putting the globes and caps back.

My idea that I had a few mins after I left was the following. People say use dishwashing liquid to wash the light ( but that leaves streak marks apparently ). Now I am thinking off washing the light with dishwashing liquid to clean out the streaks on the right hand side and the remaining stubborn sot on the left bottom. After that rinse it with water a couple of times and then rinse it a few times with meth afterwards. I am thinking that since meth didn't leave streaks , why not just wash the light and finish with meth and then blow dry again.

Not sure if my logic is wrong though .....

From South Africa
    Creative Car Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ??

From South Africa
    Creative Car Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I was hoping someone else would jump in...
    Since you have some time now I'd do a little experimenting to see what the cleaning/streaking properties of different cleaning products are. I'm thinking using drinking glasses, glass jars, etc you might have around, one for ea h product your going to test. Mix up some water & dirt, swirl it around in each glass, dump then let them sit in the sun for a couple of days to get the dirt nice & baked on. I don't know what products you have available but in general I'd try dish soap, dishwasher soap, your APC, maybe a glass cleaner, peroxide, etc. Include your meth too as a comparison. Then just swirl & shake each with a product in them & see how they do.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

If there is water inside youd need to get the headlight cover off and dry, and reseal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riles32807 View Post
    I was hoping someone else would jump in...
    Since you have some time now I'd do a little experimenting to see what the cleaning/streaking properties of different cleaning products are. I'm thinking using drinking glasses, glass jars, etc you might have around, one for ea h product your going to test. Mix up some water & dirt, swirl it around in each glass, dump then let them sit in the sun for a couple of days to get the dirt nice & baked on. I don't know what products you have available but in general I'd try dish soap, dishwasher soap, your APC, maybe a glass cleaner, peroxide, etc. Include your meth too as a comparison. Then just swirl & shake each with a product in them & see how they do.

I think this is a great idea , although we had been having rain for almost 2 weeks now without sunshine .....

One other thing , doing it in a glass , would the result not be different then a plastic headlight ?? Just a thought ....

From South Africa
    Creative Car Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Yah, I thought about that. It's not a perfect experiment, but I'm guessing your not going to want to buy a half dozen lights to play with, even junkyard ones. The glass should be good enough to go e you an idea of how the different products are going to work. If they'll work better then the meth, if they leave streaks, etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123