autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint chipping away, bare metal exposed. Best solution to prevent further damage?

Hey guys,

This started about a year ago. I inherited this car from my family; and, of course, they always washed the car with Dawn/Polmolive and don't own a single type of wax. The car is an 04 Ford Taurus and I took ownership in 2008, from then on, I always had some form of protection on the vehicle.

It started with one small chip and as long as I kept wax on the vehicle, it was fine- ie- wouldn't spread.

I got a pressure washer about a year ago, on the first wash I chipped a few pieces off of the car. I stopped using the PW on this car, but it's continuing with every wash. What should I do to prevent further damage?

The second question is regarding to a Ford Dealership-repainted bumper that was done in 2005. It's always had issues, including not being 100% the same color, but now it's chipping and exposing another layer of paint, not plastic. How do I stop this? Wetsanding?

Here are some pictures:

(that's overspray from some Plasti Dip that I was playing with last month.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes.

Sand.

250 grit to metal.

Filler

Sand flat and even.

Spray primer.

Sand primer.

Spray base.

Spray clear coat.

Only way to fix paint chipping up

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't want to go through that honesty. So there's no way to use a sealant or something and prevent it from chipping further?

Thanks for the info though.

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint chipping away, bare metal exposed. Best solution to prevent further damage?

I dont think a sealant would really help that unless you put Opti Coat or CQ Quartz on that. But then would it properly bond and is it really worth the $$$? Someone correct me if I am wrong. These cars are a dime a dozen. Best bet is to check around local salvage yards for color-matched bumper.

Oh.....did the shop that did the repair offer any warranty? when I had my front bumper replaced and repainted, it came with lifetime ownership warranty. Basically a guarantee that the paint would not fail as this seems to have failed.

Post Thanks / Like
    That paint as failed be is no longer bonding to the metal and primer. Putting anything on top won't help unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint chipping away, bare metal exposed. Best solution to prevent further damage?

Thanks for the info. As the car is only worth $3000ish, and that's not the only blemish, I'm not going to take the time to fix it.

As I say that, I spent 5-6 hours today deep cleaning it. Planning on doing a round of DG products tomorrow on the paint. :laugh:

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a bad coat of primer and the top coat did not stick. Be gentle with it and you may get a little more time out of it. The only real fix is repainting and getting that primer off.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Sorry for suggesting such 'amateur' solution, but once I've done a repair of similar paint 'damage' as a temporary solution until owner makes the proper repair.

It's posted here, on AG:

Vandalized 2006 black Corsa (Popular Car) - Removing Super Glue

The repair is not actually on first post, it's at the end of first page when I've added some more details and pictures.

I've used a small 'painter's roll' (don't know how to call that in english), and done some 2, 3 applications waiting 5-10 minutes between them. Paint sticked so nice to peeling place and stayed there, strong.

After letting paint dry, I've sanded the place with 3000 grit and then compounded and polished to achieve a smooth finish.

Again, it was a VERY amateur solution (I recognize that), however owner not repaired properly until now. At least it kept damage from being worst, and helped 'hiding' that horrible scene of paint peeling away.

Hope that helps, but please, do it at your own risk.

Always try a test spot on a unsuspicious place.

Looking forward to hear from you,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't apologize! That's the beauty of a forum. It may not be the most professional solution but it may be one of the best when it comes to cost vs effect achieved.

I am glad you suggested it. I'm going to see what I can come up with and may give it a shot. I also may try some clear plastidip that I already have. I'm just worried that when it inevitably starts peeling I'll tear off a ton of paint when I do. Maybe I can just keep topping it up and it will be fine. I'll try a test spot first on one of the smaller spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear, how are you doing?

I've done another 'amateur' repair to a similar condition like yours.

Please, those suggestions are just for temporary touch ups and will not correct the damage. Indeed, it'll look tons better from some distance, and also avoid damage getting worse. Customer was then advised to search professional repair to this condition.

I don't own a paint shop, so there's nothing else I can do on that situations.

Take a look:

I'll try to describe process in the next reply since I need to look to the pictures while writing.

Hold on a second, please.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast