autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did a hood with Vic's Red (softer wax) by hand a while back. It was a lot of fun, but it made me put it on way too thick. I'll probably stick to using foam from here on.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any one ever hear of waxing by BARE hand?

I've done it a few times not needed per say. Personally I wouldn't bother using my bare hands to wax.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done it and liked it. It takes time and patience to apply a thin even coat. For me it's not a time saver. It allows the wax to come back to "liquid" state with the warmth of your hands

for the perfect consistency. It's far more intimate than a foam pad but then again I'm a wax junky......Also like previously mentioned, you can get close to emblems and other obstacles

with better control. When you think you need more wax, vigorously rub your hands together for a few seconds. You'll be surprised how much wax you still have on your hands. This will

help you from over applying. That's not to say I don't use foam either.
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used my bare hands to apply wax, but never have had the need to also. I also wax all of my wooden furniture in the house with Johnson paste wax, in a cheese cloth applicator. The wax attracts so much dust, but it keeps my furniture looking gorgeous. I am probably just as passionate about woodworking as I am about detailing. I don't know if I'd been sane without either!

Post Thanks / Like

Any one ever hear of waxing by BARE hand?

Yes I have seen it as a request many times but honestly have not tried it myself. Its usually said that you use too much wax than doing it with an applicator. But you get the bonus in the finishing with some of these specific waxes.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO it would only be needed to wax by hand only if the wax was super hard.
    I've never used a nuba wax that a foam pad didn't work.
    Once I watched this guy on YouTube working the wax by hand, he was using a very hard Nuba wax, I guessed it was the only way to apply it, he really had to work the wax in his hands to warm it up for it to be workable.

For most of us it would be a waste of time unless you just wanted to try that method.

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the day when I was actually building tires, I could have used my hands for dry sanding, which is pretty amazing, considering my fingerprints were almost worn off. I shudder to think how much marring I would have did applying wax with those hands...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vet View Post
    Back in the day when I was actually building tires, I could have used my hands for dry sanding, which is pretty amazing, considering my fingerprints were almost worn off. I shudder to think how much marring I would have did applying wax with those hands...
    This is true. I'm a tool designer for the last 15 years but I'm a tool maker by trade. Back in the days on the floor my vacations would be over just about the time the last steel sliver popped out from my finger. Imagine the scratches I would of inflicted back then!
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

I should state that I've never bought, or used any of the Zymol Pastes, so, I cannot accurately say how hard they are to apply by conventional (applicator) means. Not ever "walking in a Zymol User's shoes", I truly cannot envision a need for such hand applications.

In more modern times (last ten years), the only hard Pastes I've dealt with were from Collinite. (all of them)

I find a Foam Sponge Applicator easier than a MF one, probably due to an ability to be able to more thinly apply such. I think one has a tendency to overload an MF Applicator with product.

That, and a slightly dampened Applicator does help quite a bit with the Collinite Pastes I've found.

Do have some custom mixed Nu Look stuff, but I'll omit that from this post.

The only other hard Paste Wax I have on hand and use, is Rennisance Paste. This I use for wood furniture, gun stocks, or other fine wood items mostly.
    Again, I'll typically use a soft, dampened Foam Applicator
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    I should state that I've never bought, or used any of the Zymol Pastes, so, I cannot accurately say how hard they are to apply by conventional (applicator) means. Not ever "walking in a Zymol User's shoes", I truly cannot envision a need for such hand applications.

In more modern times (last ten years), the only hard Pastes I've dealt with were from Collinite. (all of them)

I find a Foam Sponge Applicator easier than a MF one, probably due to an ability to be able to more thinly apply such. I think one has a tendency to overload an MF Applicator with product.

That, and a slightly dampened Applicator does help quite a bit with the Collinite Pastes I've found.

Do have some custom mixed Nu Look stuff, but I'll omit that from this post.

The only other hard Paste Wax I have on hand and use, is Rennisance Paste. This I use for wood furniture, gun stocks, or other fine wood items mostly.
    Again, I'll typically use a soft, dampened Foam Applicator
    Mark
    I'm a Zymöl user. Hand waxing is still bunk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12