autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glaze before Coating?

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Aren't those "specific primers" just another way of saying that they're some 'Coating'-Brand's specific polishes?

Bob
    They aren't just polishes, much like pre-wax cleaners aren't just polishes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse View Post
    They aren't just polishes, much like pre-wax cleaners aren't just polishes.
    Some Coating manufacturers say their Coating primers are: fine/ultra-fine polishes...
    That primer, then, is just a hyped-up polish...but still just a polish in my book.

Pre-wax cleaners are not just polishes:
    They're nothing more than just hyped-up polishes, as well.

Malappropriate marketing machinations!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    Some Coating manufacturers say their Coating primers are: fine/ultra-fine polishes...
    That primer, then, is just a hyped-up polish...but still just a polish in my book.

Bob
    I can certainly vouch for PA INVINCIBLE primer. With out it the cosmic film will not achieve 9H hardness, nor be as durable. It's completely different from our cleaner/wax prep polish ESCALATE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andr3wilson View Post
    I can certainly vouch for PA INVINCIBLE primer. With out it the cosmic film will not achieve 9H hardness, nor be as durable. It's completely different from our cleaner/wax prep polish ESCALATE.
    Then you can, no doubt, vouch that PA INVINCIBLE primer is actually a polish.
    That it can even be used as a "jeweling-polish", if one so desires.

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Bob
    Clearly you need to be in the book of fact then. Go do some real research, only then get back to us.

For example, Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite
    "Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite Cleaner Glaze is an abrasive-free cleansing glaze to prep your vehicle for a glossy coat of Dodo wax. "

Notice the Abrasive-Free part!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse View Post
    Clearly you need to be in the book of fact then. Go do some real research, only then get back to us.

For example, Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite
    "Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite Cleaner Glaze is an abrasive-free cleansing glaze to prep your vehicle for a glossy coat of Dodo wax. "

Notice the Abrasive-Free part!
    Reading the above post causes me to reflect thusly:
    -
    -
    -

Nope...On second thought:
    Not worth arguing with one of my fellow AGO forum members over any detailing products.

Yep...That's just the way I'm going to be.

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Nope...On second thought:
    Not worth arguing with one of my fellow AGO forum members over any detailing products.

Yep...That's just the way I'm going to be.

Bob
    Oh come on!
    What fun is that for the rest of us?

Post Thanks / Like

I am afraid that Bob is right, with regards to some products. There are several 'coatings' which suggest they should be used with a specific preparation product but which are not reliant upon them and which are actually quite compatible with alternative products. In this case, it is mostly just a case of trying to sell their 'polish-by-another-name'. That last term is noteworthy because 'polish' is used much more generically than detailers mean it. Just because a product doesn't call itself a polish, does not mean that it is not a polish. Same can be said for glazes.

It does appear that there are now some very specific surface primers which are necessary for certain products. I have little knowledge of these, at this time, mainly because I haven't been able to obtain technical and safety data on any of these products.

Unfortunately, I suspect that we will find an ever increasing number of brands with prep products which are 'essential' on the back of these new primers as brands try to cash in (whether the primer/prep is necessary or not).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelJ View Post
    Most of the glazes have no protective qualities so always follow with a wax or sealant.
    To the same measure, I would say that a product which does not protect will suffer from another product applied on top. Most sealants will have a fair bit of solvent in them and the simple reality is that a true glaze will be, at least partially, removed when you apply something over the top. What you are doing is not much different from mixing the sealant and glaze before applying. Contrary to what many people say, you are NOT locking in the glaze, you are mixing with it.

That said, as above, glazes are not all glazes as detailers believe, many are functionalised and surface substantive (i.e. they actually protect and are durable). In this case, a sealant over the top is more like layering sealants and it is more like the 'locking in' thought process.

As I noted before, we have an incredibly confusing mess of terminology created by marketeers. Rather than it being clear to an experienced detailer, the marketeers have simply confused the use of ever more technical terminology. In all honesty, without a the tech and safety data sheets and chemical training, it is damned near impossible to know the truth about many detailing products.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

For me it's much more simple...I use EZ Creme topped with a sealant because:

-I like what I see with my eyes

-Easy to use

-Does not seem to decrease longevity of the sealant (WGDGPS)

-Not cost prohibitive

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast