autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Detailing Classes Demo Cars - January 2014 at Autogeek

Detailing Classes Demo Cars - January 2014 at Autogeek

If you're reading this it's because you're signed up for my class this weekend and I e-mailed you the link to this thread.

IF YOU'RE NOT a MEMBER of this forum... please take a moment to register so you can "post" to the forum. I will explain why first thing on Saturday morning.

Click here to sign-up with the AutogeekOnline Discussion Forum

Now on to the meat of this thread...

If you're attending my January Detailing Boot Camp Class here is one of the car you'll be working on.

1947 Ford Convertible - January Detailing Boot Camp Class Car

The owner says it has overspray all over it and the paint is filled with swirls and scratches...

1970 El Camino - January Detailing Boot Camp Class Car

Note: These pictures make the car look good but in person this car needs to be clayed and have the swirls removed. The vinyl top is dull and faded and we'll be restoring it too. It has a painted hard tonneau cover so overall there's a lot of real estate to cover.

1965 Ford F100 Extreme Makeover - Detailing Class Truck

1959 Impala - January Detailing Boot Camp Class Car

I've been told it's in dire need of decontamination and machine polishing to perfect.

1956 Chevy Bel Air Nomad - January Detailing Boot Camp Class Car

NOTE: This is NOT the actual car, just pictures showing the type of car and color. When the car arrives I'll take the REAL pictures. Pretty cool car though and VERY RARE!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing Classes Demo Cars - January 2014 at Autogeek

Man I'd like to make one of these classes.
    Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Man I'd like to make one of these classes.

And I'd like to see you be able to attend one of these classes in the future.

Just to note, this class filled up and we started turning people over to the May class. The May and September classes always fill up and always fill up the fastest.

These cars start showing up on Wednesday and as they arrive I'll take pictures of the true condition of the paint and I'll also start paring each car with the tools, pads and chemicals my class will be learning to use for each car.

Mike Phillips

Show Car Detailing
    The above Special Interest Vehicles, or SIVs are for learning how to do multiple-step show car detailing, the high end type work most people like to have as a skill set for either taking care of their own cool projects or for their high-end customers.

Production Detailing
    To round out the class so everyone that attends will learn the full range of detailing procedures, I have two cars here to learn production detailing.

One-Step Detailing Package
    If you look at my Vehicle Inspection Form you'll see there are three pre-designed detailing packages you can edit and modify to fit your business and detailing style.

I kept it simple using the terms "Package 1", "Package 2" and "Package 3". I did this because it's easy for the customer to figure out. Lots of guys like to use much fancier terms like,

Gold, Platinum, Silver or Bronze packages. Or 5-star, 4-Star, 3-Star, etc. You can figure out what works best for you and simply edit the text in the forum.

Mike Phillips VIF or Vehicle Inspection Form

On Saturday we'll be starting out going over how to wash cars using,

• Iron X
    • Foam Guns
    • Machine cleaning Tires
    • Tornador Air Foamers
    • Nanoskin Autoscrub Wash Mitts and Towels
    • And much more.

Point being we have to daily drivers to get super clean like I describe in my how-to book under the AGGRESSIVE APPROACH on pages 10 and 11.

After we get the below two vehicles clean here's what were going to do...

One-Step Process
    When we talk about doing a one-step process in the context of production detailing it normally means doing ONE THING to the paint after the normal steps of washing, drying, claying if needed and taping off trim. It means using a product that will,

1. Clean
    2. Polish
    3. Protect

And do all these things in a single step or application. Other popular terms for a cleaner/wax product are All-in-One or AIO. These words all mean the same thing regardless of whether the product in question has both chemical cleaners and abrasives or only one of these categories of ingredients.

Some people, including me will also refer to using a single dedicated compound or polish as a one-step but in reality, this is really a two-step because after using the compound or polish you still have to come back and do a SECOND STEP by applying a product that provides some type of protection and that won't wash off. (most quality compounds and polishes are also water soluble, this means they will wash off and offer no protection).

Here's our one-step victim... it's a late model Acura

After washing, decontaminating, rinsing and drying I'm going to show you how to knock this out as fast as possible as that's what producing detailing is all about.

Of course there will be a focus on doing a QUALITY QUICKIE but seriously folks, production detailing is what it is and that's doing each aspect of the car as fast as you can, interior, exterior, wheels, tires, windows, etc.

For this we're going to use,

• Flex 3401
    • Pinnacle XMT 360 which is a light cleaning cleaner/wax

Mike Phillips

Next....

As soon as we finish doing the one-step process to the Acura we'll be moving the Acura out to make room for our next victim, errr I mean project car.

Two-Step Process

We're still doing production detailing only now we're going to use a two-step approach using Meguiar's Microfiber DA Correction System.

We'll be using their new DMX5 DA Microfiber Xtra Cut Discs with their D300 DA Microfiber Correction Compound followed by using their DMF5 DA Microfiber Finishing Discs with their D302 Microfiber Finishing Wax.

This is a true two step, high production detailing system that is popular in the production detailing industry.

Here's our training vehicle, a daily driver, 2006 Ford Expedition.

We will also be doing headlight restoration on both the Acura and the Ford Expedition and I'll be showing you machine sanding followed by machine polishing to quickly remove oxidation and restore clear headlights.

Mike Phillips

AFTER we tackle production detailing we will then move on to show car detailing which is multi-step detailing.

Three-Step Processes

Entry Level DA Polishers

First up will be doing a multiple step process using,

• Porter Cable 7424XP
    • Meguiar's G110v2
    • Griot's Garage DA Polisher
    • Cyclo Polishers

For our first car we'll be using Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover followed by Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish followed by machine applying Pinnacle Souveran Paste wax.

Here's our training vehicle for this segment of the class, a hotrod 1970 El Camino and while the paint looks good in these picture IN PERSON you will see all the swirls and scratches and when you FEEL the finish you will feel overspray paint.

We will also be going over how to clean and protect vinyl tops, tonneau covers and interiors....

Mike Phillips

Next...

Three Step Process

After the El Camino we will be switching over to the Rupes Orbital Polishers and tackling this 1956 Chevrolet Nomad. This is a 100 Point Show Winning, all original car EXCEPT the paint has swirls and scratches and some type of contamination on the paint.

The above is not the ACTUAL CAR but pictures of what the car will look like.

The real deal arrives tomorrow morning at 9:00am and I will take pictures of the real deal and post them here.

I think you're really going to like this project and you should all be good and warmed up after tackling the first three cars.

Mike Phillips

Next....

Three Step Process

Next we'll be using the Flex 3401 with the Hybrid pads in both 5" and 6.5" along with Wolfgang Uber Compound and Wolfgang Finishing Glaze to tackle this way-cool 1947 Ford Convertible.

The owner says it has overspray all over it and the paint is filled with swirls and scratches...

Mike Phillips

Next....

Were going change it up a lot as we move on to

How to use a Rotary Buffer

For this we're going to use rotary buffers including the Flex PE14, DeWALT 849X, Makita 9227c and even the 3M Big Dawg.

We'll be using wool pads with Meguiar's M100 Pro Speed Compound to cut off the oxidation and remove the wheel marks.

After that we'll switch over to foam polishing pads and Meguiar's M205 followed by Gold Jewelling pads and Menzerna SF 4500

Mike Phillips

Next....

We will be moving on to even more advanced techniques including wetsanding by hand and by machine. You will also be using rotary buffers after sanding to remove your sanding marks.

Hand Sanding

Machine Sanding

This will be a lot of fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast