autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What are the longest lasting coatings available...

Given the fact that i work 6 days a week and also coach 6 days a week my time is VERY limited. So for my cars i've deicded to put some of my wax up for sale and on all three of my vehicles get a coating on each that will last as long as possible. I've used many sealants before and while they outlast wax's they still prove to be no kind of permanant or even semi permanant solution. if i had more time for myself i'd have no issue waxing my cars once a month. but it's just not in the cards.

My cars and their purpose.

09 GTR. This car is driven 5-6k a year. See's some weather if i ever get caught out in the rain but not much. This car was detailed by myself this summer and coated with Opti-Coat 2.0.

10 X5M. This is my wifes DD. it see's all weather and is garaged every night. The paint is silver and in good shape so ONE OF THESE DAYS i'll get around to cleaning it, claying it, maybe hitting it with a little polish and then.....i'm not sure.

10 GC SRT8. This is my DD. it see's weather 365 days a year and does not go in a garage at night. I've had it for 4 years and it's never been through a car wash. The paint is in about as good a shape as the BMW but this car takes the most abuse and gets the most miles. It requires the most durable coating i can find.

I currently have enough Opti Coat to cover one of the SUV's. I will likely use it on my wifes. But for my truck i'm not sure what to use. It seems like every week i read about a new coating that is supposed to last years...but i have no experience with any of them.

Can we get a list of long lasting coatings available through Autogeek and people's experiences with them along with Manufacturer claims?

Thanks and happy new year

Post Thanks / Like
    OC is the longest lasting coating.

But, if I was you, I'd be trying to get another day a week off.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are the longest lasting coatings available...

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post

But, if I was you, I'd be trying to get another day a week off.
    Some day i'll have lots of time off...until then my only choice is to embrace the grind.

Post Thanks / Like

If anything on the market says its a permanent coating it is a big fat lie. I strongly recommend you listen to these for more info on coatings. A good sealant with a coat of wax like collinite insulator wax or super double coat should last a good long while. I have heard great things about Cquartz (haven't used it) or you might look into hydro2 it is designed for super quick usuage. Give these a listen. Happy New Year.

http://shoutengine.com/DriveandProte...s-with-ja-1133

http://shoutengine.com/DriveandProte...od-or-bad-1134

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wlshephard View Post
    If anything on the market says its a permanent coating it is a big fat lie. I strongly recommend you listen to these for more info on coatings. A good sealant with a coat of wax like collinite insulator wax or super double coat should last a good long while. I have heard great things about Cquartz (haven't used it) or you might look into hydro2 it is designed for super quick usuage. Give these a listen. Happy New Year.

http://shoutengine.com/DriveandProte...s-with-ja-1133

http://shoutengine.com/DriveandProte...od-or-bad-1134
    Opti-Coat(OC) is going to outlast a double dose of Collinite, or any sealant. It is about 2 microns thick according to their website, which makes it about 100x thicker than a coat of wax. You have to compound/polish to remove it.

Also, those links you posted give 404 errors so I am unable to view them.

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Opti Coat 2.0 is the longest lasting coating out there. It's been around for years and its been proven to last so long as the car was prepped properly. The only gripe some people have is that it doesn't look as good as some of the other coatings on the market. Not sure if I buy into that. I think so long as the car is properly polished its gonna look as good as any other coating out there.

So if you're happy with the way the OC looks on your GTR I'd say Opti Coat is the way to go.

BTW very nice choice for a daily driver! I'd love to own a SRT8 one day but knowing me I'd get into too much trouble out there on the road lol!

Post Thanks / Like

That's a nice stable you've got there.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry hear you go.

Paint Coatings, Steam Machine, Cuttings Pads with Jason Rose of Meguiar's: Part 1 | Jason Rose Meguiars, Larry Kosilla, Drive and Protect, Drive & Protect | AMMO NYC Podcast

Part-2 Jason Rose Interview: Coatings Good or Bad? | Jason Rose Meguiars, Larry Kosilla, Drive Clean, Drive + Protect podcast | AMMO NYC Podcast

Thanks for the info on opticoat. There website also says this
    "Opti-Coat is effectively the vehicles new outer clear coat" that is at best stretching the truth or a play on words.

You can always use a mobile detailer to fill in the gaps where you don't have time to do the work yourself. Or if you have some older children you can both take some detailing training together (when you have some vacation time) and let them help ease the load. It will instill responsibility and give them a new skill set.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Opti-Coat(OC) is going to outlast a double dose of Collinite, or any sealant. It is about 2 microns thick according to their website, which makes it about 100x thicker than a coat of wax. You have to compound/polish to remove it.

Also, those links you posted give 404 errors so I am unable to view them.

Post Thanks / Like

CQuartz not only lasts longer then OC, but looks better IMO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    CQuartz not only lasts longer then OC, but looks better IMO
    Are you sure about that??

-Beach
    People > Possessions
    Instagram: @DiamondDetail_ABQ
    www.diamonddetailabq.com

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast