autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What Machine, and which products for a 1st time full detail/correction on new CTSV

Hello All,

1st off, Merry Christmas, and happy holidays to everyone. I am new to the forum and looking for some recommendations and knowledge in regards to detailing my new car.

The wife went out and gave me the go ahead just before the holidays to purchase a car that I had been wanting for a few years. A Thunder Grey Chromaflair CTSV. After selling one of my other toys (93 Turbo LSX mustang), we decided that this would be a more practical vehicle, that she could enjoy as well.

I just purchased the vehicle used. Its a 2010 with 18k miles. There are no really noticeable scratches, but in the right light, it does have some small haze/swirl mark scratches around the vehicle. The color and paint do a good job at hiding them, but I want to make this thing perfect and shine like no other.

The plastic trim also has this white stuff on it that I cannot seem to get out. Any recommendations on that? I am referring to the pieces on the back bumper by the tail pipes...

I really enjoy detailing our vehicles, but that just consists of the normal 2 bucket wash, and clay baring/waxing them. I haven't buffed a car in years, but do still remember quite a bit.

So, my questions to you. I have been looking around the site at some of your porter cable kits, and wanted to know which route i should go.

I am looking for what you would recommend for a wax/sealant for this particular car/color/finish. What you recommend for the machine, and what you would recommend for correcting the paints imperfections.

I thank you for your time and look forward to everyone's response.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Machine, and which products for a 1st time full detail/correction on new CTSV

I just posted recommendations in this thread here:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ml#post1015106

Only thing I would add would be WG Uber Compound for you.

Wolfgang Uber Compound, car polish, polishing compound

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Machine, and which products for a 1st time full detail/correction on new CTSV

Quote Originally Posted by jankerson View Post
    I just posted recommendations in this thread here:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ml#post1015106

Only thing I would add would be WG Uber Compound for you.

Wolfgang Uber Compound, car polish, polishing compound

Thank you for your reply. I am assuming that most of those products can take care of numerous issues.

Is there a specific wax, or something that would be beneficial to use after corrected for the deep silver/grey color that the car has? This is pretty much something I would want to have to do once a year and maintain from there if possible. I keep all my vehicles garaged (minus my civic lol) and clean once to twice a week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steveiguess View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I am assuming that most of those products can take care of numerous issues.

Is there a specific wax, or something that would be beneficial to use after corrected for the deep silver/grey color that the car has? This is pretty much something I would want to have to do once a year and maintain from there if possible. I keep all my vehicles garaged (minus my civic lol) and clean once to twice a week.
    Yes, WG Deeep Gloss Paint Sealant would really make the paint pop for you and leave a nice wet look.

Put on 2 coats 24 hours apart.

Let cure for about an hour before buffing off the haze.

Also you could try WG Fuzion, put over WG Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, it's expensive, but the 3 oz size isn't too bad to try it out.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If I go this route, would I skip using the cyan pad as my imperfections are very light on the paint?

Wolfgang Porter Cable 7424xp Ultimate Polishing Kit

Post Thanks / Like

If I go this route, would I skip using the cyan pad as my imperfections are very light on the paint?

Wolfgang Porter Cable 7424xp Ultimate Polishing Kit
    I would start with the Tangerine pad 1st and do a test spot with the WG Uber Compound and see if that removes the defects.

If not then move to the Uber Compound with the Cyan and do another test spot.

Edited...
    Last edited by jankerson; 12-27-2013 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Edited...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jankerson View Post
    I would start with the Tangerine pad 1st and do a test spot with the WG Total Swirl Remover and see if that removes the defects.

If not then move to the Uber Compound with the same pad and do another test spot.
    If that were to work, would you still use the uber compound 3.0 or go to the finishing glaze afterwards?

I am trying to make sense of the offerings of their line with the kit. It seems from the description that you can use those products to take care of the same issues. Unfortunately, im not familiar with all of these products and to what degree they work.

(have been on forum for 3 hrs this morning lol)

Post Thanks / Like

If that were to work, would you still use the uber compound 3.0 or go to the finishing glaze afterwards?

I am trying to make sense of the offerings of their line with the kit. It seems from the description that you can use those products to take care of the same issues. Unfortunately, im not familiar with all of these products and to what degree they work.

(have been on forum for 3 hrs this morning lol)
    I would go straight to the Finishing Glaze on the Tangerine pad, it's really a Fine Finishing Polish, not a Glaze.

Post Thanks / Like

In order of most cut to least cut:

WG Uber Compound (Heavy defect removal)
    WG Total Swirl Remover (Medium to fine defect Removal)
    WG Finishing Glaze (Fine finishing Polish, light defect removal)

But you can use Uber Compound on a Polishing Pad, the Tangerine pad to reduce the cut to act more like a polish, then move right to the Finishing Glaze on the Red Pad.

The test spot will tell you what the paint needs in order of what to use.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the reply. Looks like I may be going with that kit. Now I am trying to decide if I want the fuzion wax or the pinnacle sovern carnuba. lol. Too many choices. I used to just use the gold class McGuires and I always like how that turned out.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast