autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Christmas Detail - 1955 Ford Crown Victoria with Black Label Surface Coating

Christmas Detail - 1955 Ford Crown Victoria with Black Label Surface Coating

The owner of this car is a local car club member, Jack Mason and Jack has terminal cancer. He finished a full restoration of this car in 2004 and it's been both a show car and daily driver ever since. Jack has decided to put is classic Ford up for sale at the Dave Rupp Fort Lauderdale Beach Auction on January 3rd, 2014.

I buffed this car out for Jack back in February of 2013 and at that time removed all the swirls, scratches and oxidation. When my buddy Carlos told me the car was going up for auction I told him to bring her down here and I would refresh the shine only this time instead of a traditional car wax I applied the new Black Label Diamond Surface Coating, which is a nano-glass ceramic coating. This coating creates in incredibly glassy appearance with a super slick feel to the touch.

I chose the Diamond Surface Coating because this car has a lot of stainless steel, chrome, glass and of course lots of paint as was the norm for cars built back in the 1950's.

Carlos came by with his buddy Bill to pick this car up this morning and before it left I took these pictures...

Let's hope the perfect person looking for this exact car in this exact color combination is at the auction so Jack's beautiful Ford Crown Victoria will have a new home with someone that will appreciate this car as much as Jack and his wife.

Mike Phillips

Re: Christmas Detail - 1955 Ford Crown Victoria with Black Label Surface Coating

When the car arrived it was dusty with some light road grime, I did a waterless wash to clean her up and get her ready for polishing.

Waterless Car Wash - How to safely clean you car without a hose & bucket

Mike Phillips

Re: Christmas Detail - 1955 Ford Crown Victoria with Black Label Surface Coating

Prepping paint for a paint coating

Before you can apply the Black Label Diamond Surface Coating you first have to prep the surface to remove any previously applied waxes, sealants, polishes, etc.

For this I used the Black Label Surface Cleaning Polish. You can apply this by hand or machine, I opted to apply using a Porter Cable 7424XP with a soft, blue Lake Country foam waxing pad.

Speed setting with be between the 4 and 5 speed setting. Remember you don't need a lot of aggressive power to apply this product, just gentle rotation and oscillation will do the job.

Tip: Always place the electrical cord over your shoulder when buffing out the horizontal panels so you don't drag the cord over the sides of the car. This is especially true when buffing out classic cars as they tend to have very large hoods, roofs and trunk lids.

Be thorough so you remove any previously applied wax or sealant. Go over each square inch with 2-3 passes

This polish is non-abrasive, its sole duty is to prep the paint for the coating. If your car has swirls and scratches then use the appropriate compound and polish to first perfect the paint and then use the Black Label Surface Cleaning Polish to prep the paint for the coating.

This iconic trim that runs across the roof is made from stainless steel with painted insets, the Surface Cleaning Polish can be used on stainless steel and paint.

You can see the pad is only lightly dirty from embedded dirt and road grime.

Mike Phillips

Next, you must carefully wipe-off all polish residue. In the same way that you don't want any previously applied wax on the paint you also don't want any polish residue on the paint.

Microfiber Gloves
    If you've never worn microfiber gloves while wiping off a fine polish, wax, sealant or coating you don't know what you're missing. As the saying goes, like attracts like and wearing microfiber gloves not only prevents you from leaving any oily fingerprints on freshly polished paint they also make it much easier to grip your microfiber towels when removing residues.

How to apply Diamond Surface Coating
    To apply the Diamond Surface Coating, simply mist a little onto a section of paint, glass, stainless steel or chrome and then gently spread it around using a clean, soft foam applicator pads. For the Diamond Surface Coating I prefer to use the very soft Gold Finger Pockets.

Working the coating over the stainless steel trim...

Applying the coating to the stainless steel portion of the Continental Kit that hides and protects the spare tire.

Coating all the glass...

Coating the chrome dummy spotlights...

Coating the chrome hood ornement...

All Surface Coating
    This one coating can be used on stainless, chrome, glass and paint, even smooth hard plastic.

Mike Phillips

Final wipe
    After I've applied the coating to the entire exterior of this classic 1955 Ford the next thing I want to do is give the entire car a final wipe to remove any excess product also referred to as high points.

If you're new to coatings it's best to apply this coating to a single panel and then give the panel a final wipe with a clean, soft microfiber towel. For this project I coated the entire car before wiping any panels mostly to take advantage of my co-worker Jeff who had a break to take pictures.

Tip: When making the final wipe over a coated panel, position yourself at various angles and use surrounding light to inspect the surface for high points. Then wipe softly using a clean, push microfiber towel.

As you wipe you'll see the glassy appearance Black Label coatings create and you'll feel the slick and slippery finish you're leaving behind.

On Autogeek.net

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating

Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish [/COLOR

Gold Wax Finger Pockets - 2 Pack

Microfiber Gloves - 6 Pairs

Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towels - 3 Pack

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a beauty!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Another great looking classic Mike !
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, sorry to hear that about Jack.Too bad the car cant stay in his family.You did a great job as always on his car.Mike.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work Mike. Car looks great. Too bad the car won't stay in the family.

BTW, must be nice not worrying about taping off plastic trim.

Post Thanks / Like

When cars were cars... Gorgeous piece of machinery.
    2014 Ford Focus SE Sport | 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Convertible | 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE | 2011 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast