autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Autoglym resin polish ?

I found a product through online search and it's called Autoglym Resin Polish.

I saw raving positive reports, but almost all of the reviews come from retail buyers who appear to own high end cars.

The fact that the product has so many high ratings is great, of course.

BUT, upon further research I discovered that Autoglym Resin Polish is not really a polish, but more like a filler, wax and a sealant. It's recommended for application by hand.

What had set off my suspicion was , in fact, very good (and I believe thoroughly honest) positive review given to it by a Bentley owner who was extremely happy about ease of application (can apply to entire body of the car, not one area at the time; effortlessly removed after drying; removes swirl marks and fine scratches though very minimal contact with the clear coat and etc.).

I just couldn't in my mind reconcile described ease of application by hand with the real function of polish which is to get a little slice off the top layer of clear coat in order to flatten the surface and thus remove the swirl marks/imperfections/fine scratches.

Now, I want to ask a question of experts:

I understand that Autoglym is not a real polish, that it's more like cleaner, wax and sealer at the same time and that hand application simply fills the trails and thus only temporarily removes the appearance of scratches.

The question is: will I have better results (in truly removing swirls and fine scratches) if I apply it with DA buffer? Will DA (with Orange light cut or Green foam pad) coupled with Autoglym Resin Polish do the work that I really need to get done (which is: to PERMANENTLY remove fine scratches and swirls)?

What do those of you who used this product think of it? Can I use it as a substitute for a real Polish? If all it does is fill in the gaps and seal it for few months then I am not interested in this. I understand how great it is for many retail consumers out there who just want outstanding shine for the next three months and don't care about actual condition of their paint underneath, but in my case I really want to fix my paint, period.

Any feedback is appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Autoglym resin polish ?

it has some light abrassives in it, so it will remove light swirling and fill up deeper ones.does the job perfextly with DA on speed 4 and light polishing pad. but there are better aio out there

Post Thanks / Like

If you are after a pure abrasive polish then SRP is probably not for you. As said above, it does have some abrasives but will not remove any serious swirls. I do think it is a nice AIO and it was been voted product (or polish) of the year for the last few years on Detailing World

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at M205 and #80 (also Megs). #80 is said to be more on "pure polish" side, but more often recommended for older, single coat paints (or fresh paints), whereas M205 is said to be good enough to correct tough clear coats of newer cars.

This being said, car being new, I am also looking to get something that will be the least aggressive to the paint (M205 has scale 4 out of 12). I will be taking off a slice of the clear coat with it and I realize that.

At the same time I can't expect any results if there is zero cutting (by definition , any , even slightest fine scratch and swirl mark is a cavity in a clear coat and unless you flatten the surrounding area to the same level that cavity will reflect itself under direct sun-light, and appear as spider-web of fine scratches on clear coat when looked from a few feet away).

If Autoglym has some abrasives on it that will do at least a minimal cut (when applied with DA) then that is something I would try.

Thank you everyone for advises!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carenthusiast View Post

This being said, car being new, I am also looking to get something that will be the least aggressive to the paint (M205 has scale 4 out of 12). I will be taking off a slice of the clear coat with it and I realize that.
    Depends on what pad you use....

M205 on a MF cutting pad will cut like crazy....

Change that to a LC White pad and it will cut a lot less..

Change again to a LC Blue Finishing pad and it will cut even less.

Depends on what you want it or need it to do...

Post Thanks / Like

How about Autoglym?

I like the product for what I hear about it so far, but at the same time I don't want to buy just a wax and sealant. I need at least some true correction (aside from filling in the gaps on clear coat).

Since everyone on car care subject advises to start with the least aggressive approach, I may try Blue pad and a quorter size of Autoglym product on it.

But I would greatly appreciate if someone gave an insight how it might work (preferrably from their past experience using the product with DA).

P.S. The beauty of this interactive forum is that one can ask questions directly related to their custom project. Hope to hear more of the valuable advise from more experienced folks.

Post Thanks / Like

Like everyone else stated it in fact does have a small cutting capabilities. I've been lucky to get my hands on a few of these bottles and tested them out on my own car.

Using a DA on a 5 setting I was able to get light swirls out of my paint. But, anything deeper It seemed like It could not get to it at all. I really like SRP a lot as a AIO.

Post Thanks / Like

As All In One you mean?

I will not be using it as AIO though. They also have a paste wax at Autoglym and I may either follow their resin polish with their more expensive wax or I may follow the 'polish' with Duragloss105 synthetic wax and then apply Atoglym wax ( Not sure how would two products interact, but I assume I would get relatively tough protection from DG105 and then deeper gloss and brilliance from Autoglym's Carnauba wax mixed with polymers).
    I don't think Autoglym Resin Polish alone (even though it acts more like wax and sealant) can give a good protection to a clear coat.

If Autoglym resin coupled with DA doesn't remove swirls I have then my next choice would be Pinnacle polish.

I am somewhat hesitant to go for M205 on a new paint , as it seems to be more of a heavy-duty product than what I may need now.

Thanks for a feedback!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrCleanit View Post
    Using a DA on a 5 setting I was able to get light swirls out of my paint. But, anything deeper It seemed like It could not get to it at all. I really like SRP a lot as a AIO.

I watched videos and instructions by Mike and he also suggests to set the DA on 5 to 6 speed to remove the paint defects. I have never run by buffer at anything above 4 and even at 4 I would run it just briefly and then bring it down to 3.5, but the buffer I have is a rotary (Makita) and I was too apprehensive about increasing the speed and leaving holograms while compounding.

Is DA safe to run at 5 to remove swirl marks? It is even suggested to apply pressure on foam pad to correct the tougher clear coats while spinning it at 5-6 speeds. Since I have never done this before I wonder if DA is so safe to work on that it won't harm the paint at such speeds and intensity?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carenthusiast View Post

I am somewhat hesitant to go for M205 on a new paint , as it seems to be more of a heavy-duty product than what I may need now.

Thanks for a feedback!
    That's what M205 was developed for and as a follow up to M105.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast