autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Holograms & scratches put into your car by someone else should be a crime

Finally got around to removing the holograms on my MINI. I used WGFG on a white pad, 4 passes.

before:

after:

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bus_Driver View Post

Finally got around to removing the holograms on my MINI.

I used WGFG on a white pad, 4 passes.

Good job.

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze works really well for removing holograms inflicted by others.

Post Thanks / Like

You know I think the issue with the holograms is that they are hard to see. a PDR guy, a body shop, or a dealership detailer may have something in front of them that looks great in the shop! But then you get it home.

I found this out for myself! Removing some scratches from my motorcycle windshield with DP Headlight polish and a wool pad on my drill (effectively, a rotary). Afterwards, when riding in direct sunlight, you can see a few holograms in the windshield! I'll probably go back over it with my DA and a glass polishing pad!

Quote Originally Posted by Vidur119 View Post
    Car washes that have those dumb brushes should be a crime. I feel like warning people about it but I feel like it makes me come across as a know it all. Been called that before, so it's hard to say anything.

So far the dealership I take my car to has been awesome with not doing anything they shouldn't. I've been very clear about staying away from the paint. At least they listen.

Took this outside an auto car wash. They also have coin op stalls that I use to knock dirt off before doing a waterless wash at home. Generally you always see these signs posted outside of auto car washes!

People just don't know any better though. They have no idea the damage that those washes are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    ...It's a crime. Often difficult to prosecute, though.

On the other hand:
    I consider most Dealerships' "detail-guys" to be rank amateurs.

Most of them don't know how to create scratches and holograms
    that are, indeed, truly 3D...As shown below:

Bob
    The Ford dealer I bought my car from employs high schoolers at minimum wage to be their detail guys. I was pretty frank about why I didn't want them to wash my new car when it comes in. It's not the detailers fault. They aren't trained, and they aren't given any time. It's the dealership that wants them to churn out cars quickly. Many of these dealerships want these cars detailed in 30 minutes!

My salesman tried to explain to me that "We only handwash the cars", and I told him that I drove by and saw a kid pick a wash mitt up off the ground and start going to town with the car; and saw his rotary buffer sitting pad-down in the parking lot next to the car. THAT is where the scratches come from.

I think ultimately it's about education. Dealerships wouldn't get away with it, and brushed auto car washes would go out of business if people realized the damage that was occurring!
    2014 Ford Focus SE Sport | 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Convertible | 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE | 2011 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bus_Driver View Post
    Finally got around to removing the holograms on my MINI. I used WGFG on a white pad, 4 passes.

imgs snipped...
    Nice work indeed! Came out great.

Post Thanks / Like

We recently purchased a Subaru Impreza for my wife. The car is a Brilliant White. During the process I requested that the car not be washed. Prior to that, the saleman and I had a conversation about detailing and the love of it. He was in full agreement and stated it is rare to hear anyone make the request.
    The dealership in which my truck gets serviced knows that my truck does not get washed. Usually it's clean when I go in anyway. They even commented that the auto wash they have is more problems than it's worth.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123