autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel cleaning - tough...

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    I sure would not use HF-acid just to have, by chance, a "benefit" of: purdy-lookin'-inner-wheel-barrels.

The chances of a person receiving unhealthy-benefits...are just not worth it...IMHO.

Bob
    I would agree Bob, if he was doing this everyday, but cutting it at 1:4 and wearing protective clothing imo is safe to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    I sure would not use HF-acid just to have, by chance, a "benefit" of: purdy-lookin'-inner-wheel-barrels.

The chances of a person receiving unhealthy-benefits...are just not worth it...IMHO.

Bob
    I've used different wheel acid products about 6 or 7 times. I just wear gloves / safety glasses and use common sense. Of course you don't want to breath it in or get it in your eyes or on you it skin.

Other than that, the product is pretty safe. And, works better than any other spray products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I've used different wheel acid products about 6 or 7 times. I just wear gloves / safety glasses and use common sense. Of course you don't want to breath it in or get it in your eyes or on you it skin.

Other than that, the product is pretty safe. And, works better than any other spray products.
    +1

Absolutely nothing wrong with using acidic wheel cleaners.

2012 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - Torch Red

Post Thanks / Like

Good deal. Thanks for the PPE tips for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

A foaming sprayer, like the ones sold on AG, prevent mist into the air.

As a one time application, you'll be fine. I stopped using it in my shop because I don't want to be around it all the time.

I just can't see how using this product every now and then will have any negative affect. There are WAY stronger acidic cleaners out there, that people use daily and when used correctly and with the proper care they are fine.

I have a friend that used to have a huge detail shop in my city. He had a kid working for him that would constantly get caught not using gloves when using acid wheel cleaner. . .daily for a couple years. Needless to say, it ended in the hospital. He ended up with some weird chronic condition. I can't remember exactly what.
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I would agree Bob, if he was doing this everyday, but cutting it at 1:4 and wearing protective clothing imo is safe to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyG View Post
    +1

Absolutely nothing wrong with using acidic wheel cleaners.
    Quote Originally Posted by statusdetailing View Post
    A foaming sprayer, like the ones sold on AG, prevent mist into the air.

As a one time application, you'll be fine.<<<You don't really know that will be true!

I stopped using it in my shop because I don't want to be around it all the time.
    I just can't see how using this product every now and then will have any negative affect.

There are WAY stronger acidic cleaners out there,...But are they as deadly as HF-acid?

that people use daily and when used correctly and with the proper care they are fine.
    Please keep in mind I'm not talking about any ol' type of acid wheel cleaner...of which I've used plenty of in my lifetime.
    (Conversely...Many highly alkaline wheel cleaners carry a high risk value.)

It's the wheel cleaners containing HF-acid that I was, and always will be, cautioning folks about.
    I sure would not use HF-acid...

-Proper PPE whenever using HF-acid is a must. Absolutely.

However most detailers in non-professional settings do not own such expensive life-saving equipment.
    Let alone not knowing the proper HF-acid antidote medicines to have on-site, to boot.

-All it takes is one little mistake to forever alter someone's Life, as well as those loved ones around them.

TO WIT (one of the "luckier ones"):
    Quote Originally Posted by statusdetailing View Post
    I have a friend that used to have a huge detail shop in my city. He had a kid working for him that would constantly get caught not using gloves when using acid wheel cleaner. . .daily for a couple years. Needless to say, it ended in the hospital. He ended up with some weird chronic condition. I can't remember exactly what.
    BTW:
    It usually takes more than a pair of gloves (even if they're "acid-resistant")...to be deemed as
    having donned the proper PPE for using acids, especially HF-acid..

Please be safe out there.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I tried doing a search but didn't find quite what I was looking for. I was wondering if you guys could let me know what products or ingredients in detailing supplies could be extremely hazardous to your health or to the environment. I know the list could be endless but I am sure their are those that stand out from the pack.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by geekdout View Post
    I tried doing a search but didn't find quite what I was looking for. I was wondering if you guys could let me know what products or ingredients in detailing supplies could be extremely hazardous to your health or to the environment. I know the list could be endless but I am sure their are those that stand out from the pack.
    Read the msds sheet for each individual product you are interested in, it will tell you what you want to know. Google is your path to what you seek grasshopper
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip, I know there are plenty of resources available on this matter. But I was wondering if there are some products that detailers avoid due to health risks, just like how some detailers will not use or keep Megs Wheel Brightener around their shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Any updates? Did the OP purchase Wheel Brightener?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast