autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wayne Carini from Chasing Classic Cars gets a visit from Ivan Karstuff and Autogeek!

That's awesome! I have watched every episode over the years. Can't wait for more Vette pics!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wayne Carini from Chasing Classic Cars gets a visit from Ivan Karstuff and Autogeek!

Great way to spend the day Mike.

Ya' know.... I was reading the post, scrolling down, and when I saw the Vette I was telling my wife, "It may be NCRS Top Flite but that cars paint needs help."

Then lo and behold.... scroll down a bit farther and you're doing 'what you do'! Next time just stop by Atlanta and I'll take Max's place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post

I do have a silly question for you Mike. I see that you are wearing jeans. Ever had a mishap when leaning on a car polishing?

I would be scared to death to work on one of those precious antique cars and getting the metal rivets or better yet the metal fastening button to dig on the side, as I am leaning on the car. I tend to go all neurotic when working on cars, and wear my old scrubs....... and funny enough this is also the ONLY time I remove my wedding ring.
    That's a good question I've meant to ask other members that have a tendency to wear belts. One good thing the car wash instilled in me when I was younger was elastic shorts and no jewelry. I prefer to take the "least aggressive method" when it comes to clothing.

Awesome cars mike! You have all the fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Thanks / Like

man those cars look awesome!!!
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    AWESOME CORVETTE! He loves his Ferrari's for sure and it shows, no script needed there!
    Wayne is a walking encyclopedia of car knowledge. He also has Roger, a from champion car racer and engineer at the shop who seems to know just about everything about everything car related. He's also incredibly witty and funny..

I took this picture of Rodger when he was working on the brakes of this authentic Cobra...

Quote Originally Posted by Audi X2 View Post

Wayne and his operation are the real deal. It was great to meet him at Detail Fest and now his detailer will will be able to make the cars look as they should!
    Very accurate. After spending time with Wayne, (we went out for dinner three nights in a row, mmm... good eating too...), I now know a lot more about his background, the background of his shop and how the show came to be. It's truly the real deal, no mock-up or drama like some car guy shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post

WOW!! Eye candy? I would be in full diabetic coma.

I do have a silly question for you Mike. I see that you are wearing jeans. Ever had a mishap when leaning on a car polishing?
    Anytime I was working on the cars I had my shirt pulled out, not tucked in. I also had my belt remove as well as my watch and wedding ring. I actually made a special place on the table you see in the pictures with all the foam pads to place my watch and ring.

I've been doing this a long time and I'm very aware of "what not to do" when working on someone else's expensive "something". And even though I have an artificial leg, I'm very good at supporting my body when I lean over a car so that either I don't touch the car or if I do touch the car it's very lightly.

I also practice and teach others to knock out panels like the hood on classics ALL THE WAY TO Wax. This approach takes a little longer but if you polish the hood and then polish the sides of the fenders, and then move back to the hood and lean against the fenders you just polished you just undid your hard work. So instead, when working on classics, you knock out the roof, hood, and sometimes trunk lid all the way through the process and then tackle the vertical panels.

Good question, thank you for asking, this info might helps others that read this thread into the future...

You want to see a car with a HUGE hood, trunk lid and roof where I practiced this technique? Click on this thread...

HUGE HOOD - TRUNK LID AND ROOF

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post

Great way to spend the day Mike.

Ya' know.... I was reading the post, scrolling down, and when I saw the Vette I was telling my wife, "It may be NCRS Top Flite but that cars paint needs help."

Then lo and behold.... scroll down a bit farther and you're doing 'what you do'! Next time just stop by Atlanta and I'll take Max's place.
    Wayne sat in on my class at Detail Fest and watched me teach a class on how to remove swirls on a classic 1987 Monte Carlo... here's a few pictures from that class...

Official 2013 Detail Fest Photos - Day 1

Here I'm showing Wayne Carina the before and after difference after removing swirls on just one side of the tape line using the Swirl Finder Light.

I also signed a copy of the first edition of my how-to book for him at SEMA and he told me he read it, so I'm thinking between the book, some links to the forum I've sent him for our Thursday Night Projects, and the live demo at Detail Fest on black paint I earned his trust to work on his cars.

He turned me loose on the Corvette, the Ferrari and the all original single stage paint on the 1954 Hudson Hornet without even flinching.

The paint on the 1957 Corvette was "good" but it wasn't in condition #1 or #2 as I share in my how-to book.

Page 37 - Paint Condition Categories

Pinnacle polishes and Pinnacle Souveran Wax easily restored the paint to show car quality.

Quote Originally Posted by OMRebel View Post

That's a good question I've meant to ask other members that have a tendency to wear belts. One good thing the car wash instilled in me when I was younger was elastic shorts and no jewelry. I prefer to take the "least aggressive method" when it comes to clothing.
    I do the same thing... in fact, in the very first video I ever shot, I start out introducing the video wearing black slacks and a black polo shirt and after introducing the video I look straight into the camera and something like,

When working on a cool car like this black 1960 Corvette you need to focus on the task at hand, it's all about how the car looks, not how you look. Hang tight while I go change...
    Then when I come back on camera I'm wearing a Hanes well-worn t-shirt, Levis jean shorts, and Nike Air mid-top tennis shoes. In other words, I'm dressed soft, cool and casual and most impoortant... ready to go to work. That was the real deal, just like Wayne in his show...

Quote Originally Posted by OMRebel View Post

Awesome cars mike! You have all the fun.

Thanks... I'm truly blessed and I never forget it...

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post

man those cars look awesome!!!
    I have more pictures of more cool cars than time permits me to share, posting pictures takes time, first you have to look at each picture and pick out the pictures that tell a story and are also in focus. The crop out the fluff, then resize to 800 pixels wide, then upload to the gallery and then insert into a thread and then add text. I probably have 500 pictures from this trip, so that's a lot of looking just to go through the pictures...

Thanks everyone for the comments...

Super Member Pinpoint_Precision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike that's awesome. Love his show. I have Velocity channel. Do you know when they will air it this episode with you guys in it? I gotta to record it!
    Pinpoint Precision Auto Detailing
    Modesta Glass Coating | Suntek Ultra PPF

Http://www.pinpointprecisionautodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

I love Wayne! You are the man Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly some hard work involved but what an adventure! I'm anxious to see the Hornet pictures.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    Certainly some hard work involved but what an adventure! I'm anxious to see the Hornet pictures.

Here's a quickie thread I made to show the before and after pictures,

Wayne Carini 1954 Hudson Hornet Original Paint Restored by Mike Phillips

Will do the write-up as soon time permits. I have a write-up for the Ferrari F430 too...

Before we went to Wayne's shop the only power tools being used were a couple of rotary buffers...

Wayne sent me this camera picture yesterday showing Marius and Brandon finishing out another "real" A.C. Cobra using DA Polishers. Just to note, they loved the DA polishers and the Flex 3401 as additions to their rotary buffers and I don't think either guy will ever hand apply a wax after I showed them how to machine apply waxes...

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Before we went to Wayne's shop the only power tools being used were a couple of rotary buffers...

Wayne sent me this camera picture yesterday showing Marius and Brandon finishing out another "real" A.C. Cobra using DA Polishers. Just to note, they loved the DA polishers and the Flex 3401 as additions to their rotary buffers and I don't think either guy will ever hand apply a wax after I showed them how to machine apply waxes...

Uhhhhh.... what is about 'old dogs' and 'new tricks'?

Fantastic to know Wayne has 'seen the light'!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast