autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailers that hang out on discussion forums know more than detailers that don't...

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Turns out Mr. Phillips and I share some other related interests as well.

Sometime ago, before I ever heard of an online "auto" forum I had heard the term pushing away from the keyboard. I also heard something else that I'll share.

I met a retired teacher at a seminar in 2003. He and I were discussing one of our shared internet forums and some of the personalities there. He told me that he reached a point on forums that he placed a yellow post-it note on the side of his monitor that reads, "Is this really necessary?" This was to remind him to "take the high road" that Mr. Phillips eludes to so often.

While I never have actually placed a post-it note on my monitor there's a stark image of that post-it note burned into my mind that always serves as a reminder.

The internet serves as this great multi-media and networking tool that can help you tremendously, or it can hurt you. I prefer to help and be helped.

I've always liked the quote

"An intelligent person has something to say, A fool always has to say something"
    Randy Lowe
    Custom Detail Boat & RV detailing Salem, Oregon

Mike Phillips

Re: Detailers that hang out on discussion forums know more than detailers that don't...

Quote Originally Posted by langman37 View Post

It sometimes surprises me that there are folks who don't use any kind of forums; they're all over, about everything and anything.

It's so cool finding, hanging and learning with like minded people, I really dig it.

So yes Mike I agree.
    I agree... with everything you wrote...

Quote Originally Posted by EWtheDETAILER View Post
    I couldn't agree more!

I've been detailing for several years but feel like I've opened a whole new book on the detailing world when I joined AGO in September! I was fortunate to get in on the Evansville GTG, and meet Mike Phillips, Dennis Gage, Scott Molden, PorsheGuy999, FlawlessJ, Hoytman, 2Old2Change, and more, and have learned so much in such a short time!
    And it was a pleasure meeting you! That was a fun night and it was really nice of Dennis to hang out...

Post Thanks / Like

Without this forum I would be about 6 months behind in my Detailing growth, gleaning info from everyone else's experience seriously cuts down on "Game day mistakes" and increases our skill level without getting a sore back getting there. We all want to get the job done right the 1st time and I share that inner perfectionist with all of you.

Post Thanks / Like

I would NOT be where i am today,,without this forum and its vast knowledge and great people willing to share.
    This site has allowed me to take my detailing passion to a much higher level and even allowed me to make money doing what i love.
    Thanks AG forum !!
    Mercedes C230 Sport edition

5. Likes ssnimrod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone on here is so helpful and friendly, you could never put a price on what you can learn from this form....it's priceless as are most of the helpful people on here, you will only run into trouble when you think you have learned all there is to know, a big thank you to all that help out other people. Shine on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    First of all let me say how much I appreciate your leadership, knowledge, and passion in this discipline of vehicle maintenance.

Thanks for all that you do...and the way that you do it!

I've learned much here and have even altered my less than desired practices thanks to the forums and one on one guidance in pm's and phone calls.

x2 well said Vegas Transplant !

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree that the forums are fantastic and it is basically through this medium that I have learned more about detailing. There are problems with it however. Admittedly this is generally not on AG, but as a chemist/formulator/manufacturer I encounter a lot of utter rubbish online. Worse still, without a grasp of the basics, those spreading the misinformation cannot be reasoned with.

Specific to the UK (I do not know the US domestic market) we have an increasingly common issue where new brands appear, driven by detailers (not unreasonably) seeking additional income by selling products with their own label. The problem comes because many are no more knowledgeable than the common. Unfortunately, with marketing proclamations of their expertise and specialty manufacturing facilities, the average reader tends to accept what they say. Thus we end up with people accepted as being reliable sources who give out scientific information which is often misleading and (not infrequently) totally wrong.

The answer? If you come up with one, let me know!

Post Thanks / Like

Allow me if you will to give my perspective of why I hang out on this site.I am not a pro detailer nor do I care to be at mt age.I am a car guy from the age of 9 when my very good looking neighbor in here early 20`s offered to teach me how to drive her Volks-bug with a 4 speed.I was hooked.I fell in love with the 1957 Chevy Bel-Aire at the age of 12(1971).By the age of 15 I had saved enough money to buy my first 57.My Father did not know as I parked it in a local cemetery where I could drive it without the threat of the COPS.So as to not bore you further, fast forward to 8 months ago when my buddy Louie starts talking about AGO and how his PORSCHE is going to be in a TV show.Still does`nt sink in.Then Mike wants to detail Louie`s new FIAT.I attend the live show and find myself hooked.All these years I have worked on the mechanical, interior ECT. and always left the paint to someone else.I own 6 cars, some done(they are never truly done) and some in the process.I have met several great guys on the Thursday night "Show Car Makeover"(Robert-Impressions and Paul-Sailfish)that I think could be friends for life.(I speak for myself by the way.No pressure, HA HA.)Mike,Yancy, Nick, and Ray are simply quality people that share the passion for the Automobile(and motorcycles)I figure if I learn from the best it`s just another notch in the belt for this car lover to be more well rounded.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Medvic View Post

Without this forum I would be about 6 months behind in my Detailing growth, gleaning info from everyone else's experience seriously cuts down on "Game day mistakes" and increases our skill level without getting a sore back getting there.

We all want to get the job done right the 1st time and I share that inner perfectionist with all of you.
    Well said, thanks for chiming in...

Quote Originally Posted by Dougw4355 View Post

I would NOT be where i am today,,without this forum and its vast knowledge and great people willing to share.

This site has allowed me to take my detailing passion to a much higher level and even allowed me to make money doing what i love.

Thanks AG forum !!
    I love reading posts like the above...

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post

Everyone on here is so helpful and friendly, you could never put a price on what you can learn from this form....it's priceless as are most of the helpful people on here, you will only run into trouble when you think you have learned all there is to know, a big thank you to all that help out other people. Shine on.
    Well said... a helpful and friendly forum is all it's about, anything else and why even join and post. Thank you for chiming in, I appreciate your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by 57BORNTORUN View Post

So as to not bore you further, fast forward to 8 months ago when my buddy Louie starts talking about AGO and how his PORSCHE is going to be in a TV show. Still does`nt sink in. Then Mike wants to detail Louie`s new FIAT.I attend the live show and find myself hooked.
    And that's the power of both our forum, walking the walk and networking...

Well said Tim...

Post Thanks / Like

This is the only forum I look at, and I'm glad I found it first. I'm no pro, so I try not to give advice on things that I'm not sure of.

I have learned a lot from the forum and Mike's book, and I get a lot of compliments on the appearance of my vehicles. I've purchased a few things from AG, not as much as many of the other forumites, but AG makes me feel welcome and appreciated. That goes for the rest of the people on the forum too.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast