autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

opticoat 2.0 problem application

I just bought opti-coat 2.0 from autogeek.net of which will be applied to my client vehicles (Toyota Harrier Solid Black)

This vehicle has been covered previously by:
    1. optiseal
    2. collinite marque de elegance paste wax

I've done washing, and spray the IPA 1:1 for the whole body of the vehicle with hopes of no longer used wax to stick to

after all done, I look at youtube to learn the proper techniques for applying this product (opti_coat 2.0)

The first half of body did not see any problem, then I went to the hood, trunk and roof.

after 4 hours, I recently saw oddities, the whole body is coated by the coating looks like a layer of fog, then I do the wiping using MF, and a layer of fog is very difficult to remove.

I did end up remover phase using 3M compound polisher using flex, what happens is, the white mist, and more difficult to remove.

I am writing to convey in this forum, this car has let stand for 16 hours

I would be grateful if you would answer my letter, and explain what really happened, how the white fog that can cover the entire body of the car.

I use google translation, I hope you understand my point, thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    How long did you let it stay on the vehicle before buffing it off? What degree temperature were you working in? Sounds like you may have some high spots.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: opticoat 2.0 problem application

I let the vehicle for 15 hours and I just did the buffing one hour ago, when I apply a opti-coat the temperature ranges from 26-27 degrees Celsius

Post Thanks / Like

Were you able to notice some high spots (rainbow- like spots) when you were applying? Perhaps the previous layers of Optiseal and 915 weren't removed by the IPA wipe, hence the "fogging". I've had it happen to me and it does look like haze.

Post Thanks / Like

I would do some more researching how the application technique of it, and the proper prep before applying it. It sounds like the previous sealant and wax were still on the paint.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like
    My experience with Opticoat tells me IPA is not able to remove *all* previous waxes, sealants, or polishing remnants in all cases. Although an "IPA wipe down" is frequently recommended prior to applying Opticoat, not all (many) modern polishes, sealants, waxes are completely removed from the surface with IPA. I'm guessing you did not remove all the previous wax or sealant, and now the OptiCoat is mixed with it on the surface.

My OptiCoat "vanished" 6 months after I applied it. When searching for a reason "why", this was the only possibility I could not eliminate, that IPA did not remove all my previous polish residue - even though I wiped it down thoroughly and multiple times. I would guess at this point you have Opticoat that may be bonded completely in some areas, partially bonded in other areas, and not bonded in other areas.

At this time it would probably be best to polish the whole vehicle to remove all the Opticoat and start again, preferably using an Optimum brand polish, like Polish 2. After polishing, I would reccomend using a product that is a dedicated wax removal product to remove any wax that could be left on the surface or polish residue.

A product like Prep-Al, Prepsal, Wax and Grease Remover, or similar. After that, I would wash the car again with a shampoo that strips off residue, a product like Chemical Guys Citrus Wash Red. Then I would rinse very well with distilled water.

Then you can apply the OptiCoat again. You could skip all that and try to polish the vehicle with a finishing polish to see what happens, but my experience with OptiCoat also tells me it is not very durable until it fully cures, and machine polishing shortly after application, even with the finest polish, is likely to just remove it.

The translation software is working fine. Keep us posted, and maybe you could post a picture of what it looks like. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience (did 15-18 vehicles with OC2.0/OG) the fogging issue has ALWAYS been there is something (LSP sealant/wax) underneath that has NOT been fully removed before applying the coating.
    OC2.0 needs a very clean (squeeky) surface to start with.
    I hope this helps?
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thank the senior colleagues who have given attention to my problem I had, from all of you to say, I think correctly, that there is a layer that is not supposed to be there before I coating with
    opticoat 2.0, I tried to take a picture for all to see clearly, fog effects that arise, but my blackberry camera does not seem sharp enough to see the detail that I mean, plus the surface of the vehicle after more than 30 hours, it seems more shiny.

do you think, if I re-coat at this time (after more than 30 hours) is will cause the same fog effect? vehicle for the current time does not allow re-polished again to remember the consumer will pick up the vehicle the day after tomorrow

Last edited by Orlando_AD; 08-05-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you do a quick once over with a finish polish/pad (should onlt take a couple hours since you are not correting but cleaning the surface) and do a through wipe down with IPA or Eraser and reapply the OC2.0?
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IID View Post
    Can you do a quick once over with a finish polish/pad (should onlt take a couple hours since you are not correting but cleaning the surface) and do a through wipe down with IPA or Eraser and reapply the OC2.0?
    Agree. This is the way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast